• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting Advanced

MasterBates

As someone who has flown in every flavor of Pilot VT as a Stud (Primary, Prop, Helo, Jet) the briefs here are laid back and instructional.

As opposed to Prop VTs where I had to spout out minutiae about how many coils of wire are in the prop overspeed governor and was it made by company X or Y. And I was treated as an IUT there.. (read- better than most students)

In order of laid-backness from cool to anal retentive (for no reason)

JetVT
HTs
Primary
PropVT

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
In order of laid-backness from cool to anal retentive (for no reason)

JetVT
HTs
Primary
PropVT

I'll take some o' that action too. I've lived/SNA'd/sat-in/IP'd in all those. That assessment is about right.

However, I'd put HT and VT (primary) tied. VTs are like that because of the prop/maritime/LAMPS influence.

Junior

pilot
I thought that "laid back" atmosphere was great for learning. I was never hesitant to ask questions and the IP's were always willing to take time out of their day to answer any questions I had.

What’s wrong with not being stressed out? Know your s*** and then go fly the airplane. Why must people always try to make things harder than they are?

If a stud does get a ready room down (BTW, not the end of the world), I guarantee you that it will be his last one. All of these guys had to do well in primary to get where they are. I am sure that they all know how/when to study. Now if some IP wants to give downs just to prove a point (maybe he cant differentiate confidence from arrogance), that’s another matter.
Agree with all. The effectiveness of the briefs, judged on how much I learned and took with me and applied in the cockpit, increased exponentially throughout flight school. The briefing items in the RAG actually have to do with the flight. Imagine that.

my point is, IMO I think dudes are going to get a shotgun blast to the face if they roll into a TC-12/T-44 brief thinking it's gonna be similar to a T-45 brief.

I have a little bit of T-45 experience ...

Jarhead we are on same page. Just when you throw out laid back, thinking more along line as a joke and unprofessional.

Think everyone is referring to what Gumbi and Bates are stating about useless airframe knowledge crap like old Solo check ride question of how many bolt's in T-34? one for every nut. Always was a big fan of how many pieces of wood were in T-34. Not one Maintenance crew knew that answer LOL

airwinger

pilot
T-2's and T-45's were much much much more chilled than T-34s ever were. I remember a T-34 IP asking me what the pressure of the standby fuel boost pump was. Deeply embarrassed that I didn't know(and couldn't find it in NATOPS) I spent an afternoon asking the linemen, maintenance contractors who finally called the manufacturer. Just what relevance this had to my level speed change will forever be a mystery to me.

In jets the only reason for knowing a system pressure was if you could read it on a gauge.
Although in my current platform I know the speedbrakes extend to 60 degrees on either side. Why I had to learn that tidbit is probably a fitrep bullet for some long since departed IP.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
can't positively answer that yet but one thing is for certain ... those dudes that get selected for E2/C2 out of this "Tailhook" experiment will be in for a rude awakening when they show up at Corpus for their prop training ... with their arrogance from being carrier qualed and the laid back atmosphere in T-45 briefs, I wonder how many of the students will go into their first prop flight unprepared and get ready room downs …

S/F

Good point. Back in the day, the way E2/C2 students rolled was primary, VT-4 for T-2C's then VT-31. My old IP's told me they all carried a kind of arrogance into the squadron. Not sure if it hurt them though. What hurt me was going through VT-27, VT-31 then VT-4. The briefs were easy, simple and laid back. Then got to VAW-120.....and for Masterbates....just wait. The briefs were intense, systems intensive to the nth degree and just a pain in the ass. I was not ready for it and was hammered at first. Not fun at all.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None

And yes, I can tell you where all 5 are.

I used to be a 13X (thirteen-checker) and would lead off the brief with that question. Just when the stud would start to answer I'd interject, "Shut up (and smile to let him know I was kidding), I don't really care. I want to know that you know your EPs and can take this plane up and land it safely..."

Why I never got a negative end of course critique from some prop selectee that eats that stuff up I don't know...