• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting a career in naval aviation. (Help)

StephenTomassi

Hello, I am a current prospective pilot who is hoping to fly for the Navy. I have been researching and I have found no clear answer between finishing college and obtaining a commission through OCS, or going into NROTC. I have finished my freshman year of college this past spring which makes me feel that I may be too late for NROTC. Any help is supremely appreciated. This is my first time posting, if I am in the wrong thread please redirect me, thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is my first time posting, if I am in the wrong thread please redirect me, thank you.

Does your college have a NROTC program? If so, reach out to them about joining as a college programmer.

If not, only option would be via OCS. You can also apply via BDCP in which the Navy will pay you to finish college and then go to OCS.

Lots of information at your disposal. Search away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, college program NROTC or sometimes 2 or 3 year NROTC scholarships come up. Otherwise it is OCS. Generally start to get serious about applying in your Jr year. BDCP you still go to OCS but you can apply earlier and get money. Highly competitive. Not always available. Surf around here about how to make yourself competitive.

StephenTomassi

My college does not have an NROTC program but recruiters are saying my chances of being selected will be better if I enlist now and go to boot vs becoming enlisted before OCS. Thoughts?

RhodesReese

My college does not have an NROTC program but recruiters are saying my chances of being selected will be better if I enlist now and go to boot vs becoming enlisted before OCS. Thoughts?
If you are dead set on becoming a pilot, do NOT enlist. From someone who enlisted first, it takes a while for you to complete your degree with operational requirements, qualifications, deployments, etc. And they have made it harder with the new Tuition Assistance requirements stating you have to wait until your second tour to utilize it. Meaning you'd have to dip into your GI Bill which I dont think is a good option.

With you just completing your freshman year, focus on completing your degree and making yourself competitive. Volunteering, Sports, leadership opportunities etc. You have the next three years to make a good package for OCS Pilot. Use that time and enjoy being a student/kid. Once youre in its game time.

Renegade One

None
Your recruiters have as much interest in your Naval career as you have in theirs. DO NOT ENLIST.

If the area where your college is has no "ROTC Consortium" to which you could apply, then OCS is your way ahead. Work to qualify for that: good grades above all; physical preparation, and working the deal for the next couple of years.

exNavyOffRec

Right now there is some guy on a deployed ship cleaning a head that has piss all over the toilet that was told the same thing you were, but instead of coming here for input that guy enlisted.