• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stand out NROTC programs?

dhumphus

Purdue University has an outstanding NROTC program. Relatively small to other larger programs where you might get lost in the crowd. The university itself is known for its outstanding engineering programs in aerospace and aeronautics. Be up on your calc skills because it's required. NROTC aviator prospects will want to have solid skills in calculus. Also consider Purdue's Polytechnic college in aviation oriented coursework.
Purdue also has its own airport for students wishing to get their private ticket.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
"Better" is such a subjective word here. Each university has it's own unique programs (like pursue of course with aerospace + aeronautical engineering) and other universities offer "in-house" NROTC perks like free room and board (Notre Dame and Tulane are the two I can think of but know there's many out there) on top of the scholarship.

It comes down to which program aligns with your short and long-term goals.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also fact. Basic multiplication, fractions, and the three minute rule are the only math skills you really need as a P-8 NFO in the plane.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC aviator prospects will want to have solid skills in calculus.
LOL . . . I can count on zero hands the number of times I had to use calc in my 20-year active and reserve career. TPS and the Developmental Test community are the only time I can think any of those mad engineering skillz would be relevant, though I'll defer to those who actually did that job.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I think the calc requirement is less so to have people who know what integration is, and more so to have people who have an understanding of the relationship between various mathematics. Have I used my engineering degree to find a submarine? No, but I do think it’s helped with my understanding of oceanography sound speed graphs, resonance, intercepts, etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Have I used my engineering degree to find a submarine? No, but I do think it’s helped with my understanding of oceanography sound speed graphs, resonance, intercepts, etc.

Bingo. We don't need to have taken it...OCS proves that, but it has the potential to help with understanding concepts if your brain happens to work that way.

If it weren't for the Nuke requirement, I always thought having to take a "Calculus Executive Course" would have made much more sense for the non-engineering/math majors.

I can count on zero hands the number of times I had to use calc in my 20-year active and reserve career.

You used it all the time, especially as an EW nerd. You just didn't have to solve for anything.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Pythagorean theorem, 3 min rule, and 60-1 ratio are the most used mental formulas for VP NFOs