• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stand out NROTC programs?

My background is Army, and I've always wondered what are the traditional / top tier NROTC universities?

I realize most of the senior military colleges (Norwich, The Citadel, Texas A&M University, VMI, Virginia Tech) commission Navy (the exception appears to be University of North Georgia - without Navy/Marine Corps and Air Force ROTC programs).

So outside of those senior military colleges, what are some stand out NROTC programs...?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My background is Army, and I've always wondered what are the traditional / top tier NROTC universities?

I realize most of the senior military colleges (Norwich, The Citadel, Texas A&M University, VMI, Virginia Tech) commission Navy (the exception appears to be University of North Georgia - without Navy/Marine Corps and Air Force ROTC programs).

So outside of those senior military colleges, what are some stand out NROTC programs...?
Nobody cares where you went to college in terms of commissioning.

Go to a college where you actually want to attend, not so much one because you want to earn cred.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
What I would consider are unit size and the university that has a good program for whatever you are going to major in. You need a bachelors to commission, so you might as well get a good one or at least not hate your life doing it. If you want a 1000 person unit maybe go corps of cadets. If you want a kickass engineering degree go to MIT. If you want to have a good time "off duty" and have a unit size of 60-80, there's plenty of options.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Maybe others can speak to this, but I did mechanical engineering at a primarily liberal arts university. As such, the entire time I was there (2013-2017) we never had anyone get sub drafted. I had a 3.1 GPA come service selection time and I was never forced to attend a sub interview or anything, whereas my friends at Purdue/Duke/etc who did have a >3.0 had to (unless they totally crushed the ASTB). If anything, we commissioned a surprising majority of people as SNAs, then SWO, then SNFO/subs.

I'm not saying its "choose your college, choose your fate" but I imagine there's some unofficial unintended bias when it comes time to service selection.

BattlingTrain

SNA Pro-Rec Y

I'd highly recommend just going wherever you want and to go OCS. Army as well, going SNA after graduation. Enjoy your college life, grow a beard, then just survive OCS.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I'd highly recommend just going wherever you want and to go OCS. Army as well, going SNA after graduation. Enjoy your college life, grow a beard, then just survive OCS.
Benefit of OCS is knowing where you’re headed when it’s over. ROTC might give you free college but if you wanted aviation and got SWO, then tough luck gotta go be a SWO.

BattlingTrain

SNA Pro-Rec Y
Benefit of OCS is knowing where you’re headed when it’s over. ROTC might give you free college but if you wanted aviation and got SWO, then tough luck gotta go be a SWO.
I also like that with OCS you sign on for your particular job rather than hoping the needs of the Navy align with your wants. I wanted SNA and SNA only and feel OCS gives you better odds, and you can walk away if you don't get what you want.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
I remember at Mountain Warfare (which I understand Marine-Option midshipmen don't do anymore), some instructor had a list of NROTC programs ranked in terms of "bang for your buck." I.E., amount and quality of substantive military training for the cost of the school.

My university was very close to the bottom. Since that time, we've commissioned numerous pilots who've gone on to have successful careers in P-8s, MH-60s, KC-130s, V-22s, and MQ-9s.

Maybe stuff like that matters for the people going SWO/subs/groundside USMC, but nobody in the Naval Aviation Enterprise gives a smelly turd where you went to college. At least that I've seen.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Once you get gold bars, the only thing people actually care about are you getting qualified on schedule, be good at your job, and not being a dick. Alternatively "be a bro, don't be a dick, and look cool".

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Once you get gold bars, the only thing people actually care about are you getting qualified on schedule, be good at your job, and not being a dick. Alternatively "be a bro, don't be a dick, and look cool".
My CO at VT-35 put it this way. There are 3 factors in your control when you get to the fleet: how well you fly, how well you do your ground job, and your bar act (how well you integrate into the social fabric of the squadron). You need to be good at 2 of them, at least, for people to want to keep you around. If you only have 1, no matter how good it may be, you can expect to get sent to do "other things."

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
My CO at VT-35 put it this way. There are 3 factors in your control when you get to the fleet: how well you fly, how well you do your ground job, and your bar act (how well you integrate into the social fabric of the squadron). You need to be good at 2 of them, at least, for people to want to keep you around. If you only have 1, no matter how good it may be, you can expect to get sent to do "other things."
So…what happens if you’re good at 0 of them?

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
So…what happens if you’re good at 0 of them?
Assuming you avoid your adverse FITREP (or even if you don't), after reaching a whopping 400 hours of total time, you alternate between tours at MAG/Wing Ops and IAs to Bahrain and Djibouti until your EAS. After which you proceed to rent C172s or PA-28s for 350 hours in the hope Air Wisconsin or Republic Airways will hire you to fly clapped-out regional jets for a living.