• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA21 FY06 College Recommendations

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
If you're looking for speed, look to ODU, they accept most of your Navy credits, well I guess that depends on your rating. They would have take most of mine. Instead I went to UW-Madison and they took 13 of my college credits, 0 of the Navy's.

My info

If you're looking for speed, look to ODU, they accept most of your Navy credits, well I guess that depends on your rating. They would have take most of mine. Instead I went to UW-Madison and they took 13 of my college credits, 0 of the Navy's.

Current Rate - IT2

8 yrs in.

Currently completed: AS in Management

I wonder how long it will take me to complete my BS - full time at Old Dominion? Do they have accelerated semesters?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Current Rate - IT2

8 yrs in.

Currently completed: AS in Management

I wonder how long it will take me to complete my BS - full time at Old Dominion? Do they have accelerated semesters?

Best thing to do would be to call the department you're looking to get your degree in and talk to an advisor. They will be able to tell you what will transfer and what won't. All I know is that odu would have taken about 70 of my credits and I could have graduated in two years. Instead Wisconsin took 13 and i'm taking 3 years w/ 18 credits a semester now. But, I would rather be here anyways. Other factors involved in that decision.

Best thing to do would be to call the department you're looking to get your degree in and talk to an advisor. They will be able to tell you what will transfer and what won't. All I know is that odu would have taken about 70 of my credits and I could have graduated in two years. Instead Wisconsin took 13 and i'm taking 3 years w/ 18 credits a semester now. But, I would rather be here anyways. Other factors involved in that decision.

Well, I am trying to find a school that will accept nearly all of my credits. I really want to be a SWO - I will attend my first NROTC semester on or around my 27th birthday. I will only be in school 1 year before my 28th birthday. SWO's must be commissioned prior to their 28th birthday – I have one year to complete or I can forget about SWO. On another note, I hear that even though the instruction clear states “no age waivers” the Navy still grants age waivers as long as the waiver is not to wave a law. The STA21 age restrictions are not written laws - they are only instructions.

Currently, my ultimate goal is to serve as a IP or IW – Computers and technology are embedded into my live. I can best serve the Navy in that field.
I have an indoctrination flight scheduled for 1pm today at the local airport. Cost me $50 bucks to fly passenger in a Cessna for 30 min. I am doing this to see if I would like being in the air – as a Naval Aviator. If I can’t be a SWO I must get accepted into the Aviator community.

I guess while in boost/nsi/college I will study the ASTB as a backup plan. Also I will study for the SAT/ACT – increase my scores and apply for Nuclear SWO.

If only I could get an age waiver for SWO – I would be set…

KBayDog

The Citadel

For physics, have you considered El Cid? I was not an OC (I was a MECEP Marine), but active-duty students are treated very, VERY well there. The professors will bend over backwards for you, there are very small class sizes, you will save a ton of money, and you will easily graduate in 36 months (unless you are in the Engineering department - they are pretty inflexible with their 48 month program). I went in with six credits, and graduated in three years (it would have been 2.5 if the schedule had worked out better.

The school is NOT good about transferring military credits. (I guess since so many of their students are active duty/Guard/reservists, they'd be out a lot of tuition/fee money if they started accepting military training credits.)

I could bore you with more highlights and details, but if you are interested, feel free to PM me (or find a current/former Citadel OC on here - I know there are a few lurking around). Good luck.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
KBayDog said:
I could bore you with more highlights and details, but if you are interested, feel free to PM me (or find a current/former Citadel OC on here - I know there are a few lurking around). Good luck.

My hubby is a current OC at The Citadel. I can pass along any questions.

The Cid?

KBayDog & NukeWife
I was looking at the Cid web site and looks like an intresting school. I also noticed that freshmen and transfer students have age limits and cannot be married< is the policy the same for active duty. I am intrested in a physics degree< how tough is it to get accepted into this school? Are uniforms required everyday? just curious. Are you required to stay onboard? Any info you could pass would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

KBayDog

Hey,

Active duty students are not part of the Corps of Cadets. You can be 20 years old and single, or 30 with a wife and five kids. You live off campus, draw BAH, and can live anywhere you want. You really have nothing to do with the Corps of Cadets (aside from occassional PT sessions and maybe an NROTC lab or two). While at school, you wear your khaki/Service "C" uniforms.

I cannot say if it is "easy" to get accepted, but I know that they really like having active duty students at the school.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I know Maritime was very happy to have us AD students. The wheels are very greased for us. They're convinced if we were accepted to STA21, we're good enough for them. They accept any AD student on the spot. Application is a mere formaility.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
ivillarreal said:
KBayDog & NukeWife
I was looking at the Cid web site and looks like an intresting school. I also noticed that freshmen and transfer students have age limits and cannot be married< is the policy the same for active duty. I am intrested in a physics degree< how tough is it to get accepted into this school? Are uniforms required everyday? just curious. Are you required to stay onboard? Any info you could pass would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

Well, if active duty wasn't allowed to be married while at El Cid, I couldn't be a nuke wife ;) Yes, the OCs can be married, have kids, whatever. They do not live on campus- we own a home about 25 mins from the school. He wears khakis every day in the fall and spring. He doesn't have to wear a uniform during the summer semesters. It was not difficult for him to get accepted.

The OCs are integrated into the NROTC battalion. There is PT twice a week (once in the afternoon and once at 6am), and a Navy Lab once a week (which lately has been another PT session...) If you aren't within weight/PRT standards, then you'll be in the fat boy program (or whatever the "official" title for that is.)

In my opinion, attending The Citadel will provide you with a wealth of networking opportunities- the alumni I've encountered are all pretty damn proud to have attended the school and like to help those who have followed in their footsteps.

STA21pilot

OC in Aerospace at U of Colorado. Well, at least for the remainder of the semester. IT IS REALLY HARD!!! U of C has the 3rd ranked Aero program out here and it is brutal. I'm switching to MechE next semester. The OC program out here is alright. We still have drill and PT once a week. I've noticed that if you have a less demanding major you're expected to participate more in holding billets. There aren't too many obligations overall. There are quite a few Active Duties out here, like 40 or 50. I think there was a huge influx back in FY04 when they accepted like 400-500 sailors, so we have a large OC presence. As for the FY05 guys, there's only like 10-15. Since we have a large presence we've started our own OC mess, to kinda keep the comraderie together. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Colorado is great, and of course the Broncos are going to win the Superbowl!

STA21Pilot

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I have another suggestion. I also posted this essay in the NROTC forum.

SUNY Maritime: The Military Experience.

One of the first things that strikes you when arriving to the campus is the waterfront location. Maritime College is surrounded on three sides by some grease-like substance that used to be water and now fills the Long Island Sound.
Most of the students are part of a day care system known as the Regiment. They wear U.S. Navy officer uniforms, or at least they put on the components for Navy uniforms. UPS has stricter uniform standards that SUNY Maritime, and frankly, I’m not quite sure why some students even bother to wear them at all.
During the school day, the cadets wear khaki shirts and khaki pants. Cadets sport pins in random locations on their collars to indicate class or rank (if a first class). When I say random, I mean random. There appears to be no regulation concerning the location of these devices. The Cadets wear black jackets, the exact same model as worn by enlisted Sailors. Utilizing the zipper is optional for all except for fourth-class cadets. In addition, flipping the collar is an option for all upper-class cadets. In fact, in many cases, cadets can wear whatever jacket they chose. Some choose to continue wearing the black jackets after their fourth class year, but many choose to wear Maritime windbreakers. Others still chose to wear the tops from their warm-up suits, or some wear jackets that have nothing to do with Maritime at all.
Khaki garrison caps are standard. The manner in which they are worn, or whether or not they are clean, is completely up to the cadet. Ball caps and ski caps are also optional for those cadets third class and above. Maritime ball caps are preferred, but NY Yankee ball caps are also acceptable. Ball caps must be worn on the back of the head in order to appear as un-military as possible. This regulation is strictly enforced upon first class cadets, especially “rates” (first class cadets with ranks). Covers are optional indoors and out.
Dress uniforms are worn for special occasions. In the winter, the uniform worn is an exact copy of the Navy Officer’s Service Dress Blue, with variation on insignia. For summer dress, Maritime decided to go the cheapest route possible. Summer dress uniform is simply SDB trousers, black shoes with a white, short-sleeved shirt.
For working conditions, or when cadets are feeling especially lazy, there is the boiler suit. Boiler suits are blue coveralls of various designs. Cadets paint their names on random places on the backs of them. I’m not quite sure whether boiler suits are a uniform or not, as it appears they can be worn with anything. Any color T-shirt (or none at all), any shoes, any hat, any jacket, any sweatshirt, anything goes.
Most military schools require uniforms be pressed and clean, but not SUNY Maritime. As far as I can tell, irons and ironing boards are contraband.
Haircuts are also not regulated here. Aside from the fourth class cadets (who sport bald heads year round), any hair length is allowed (aside from hippie lengths; the line has to be drawn somewhere). Shaving is optional for upper-class cadets. Indoctrination Duty Officers and Squad Leaders are not required to shave, but they are required to scream at fourth-class cadets who do not shave.
Military bearing is not a requirement. Eating while walking, smoking while walking, saluting with objects in your hands (especially for rates), any of these is permitted at SUNY Maritime.
This report will be updated as facts become more readily available. My initial findings are that SUNY Maritime is less regulated than an NJROTC and has more in common with a Catholic trade school than a service academy. If you want to wear uniforms, but not worry about being overly regulated, come to Maritime. If you want a good military experience, go elsewhere.