• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA21 FY06 College Recommendations

How tough is it to get accepted to these universities with NROTC units? I am worried cause my GPA is 3.0, I want to apply to schools where I got a good shot at getting in, I was aiming for aerospace eng. but realize it probably wont happen, so I am switching to physics. Open to any recommendations or any previous expirences applying to schools.

BigRed389

None
I just hope you're not expecting physics to be easier than aero eng. I know it depends on the school, but that's definitely NOT the case in any schools I'm familiar with.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
You also have to remember the 36 months time requirement, alot of guys come up here wanting to do a certain major and then realize that there is no possible way they can complete it in 36 months.

Another thing I would recommend is to talk to the actual OCs at the unit you want to go, because what the LTs say and what the OCs say are two totally different things, trust me.

Ex Rigger

pilot
STA-21 Ensign here to answer any questions you got about Texas A&M...real relaxed unit for OC's, great engineering programs, but can be difficult to get into for some. Just don't expect any good football as long as we have a retard for a coach.

Country Boy

Proud Father
You also have to remember the 36 months time requirement, alot of guys come up here wanting to do a certain major and then realize that there is no possible way they can complete it in 36 months.

Another thing I would recommend is to talk to the actual OCs at the unit you want to go, because what the LTs say and what the OCs say are two totally different things, trust me.
I couldn't agree with you more. One more thing to add on that is try to talk to more than one OC at a given unit because you might have been talking to the disgruntled guy that slipped through.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
SUNY Maritime OC here. They LOVE STA 21. It seems to me it's likely the most helpful college when it comes to getting OCs the required paperwork. I had an acceptance letter and degree plan in hand before I even sent in my official application.

lenny

ivillarreal - have you consider aeronautics major? Embry riddle offers one, while it also is on the list of approved majors from STA21. it is probably something between physics and aeronautical engineering ...
h'm also going through some tough choices, aeronautical engineering sounds great and probably also is great preparation for flight school, however i doubt I will be able to graduate within three years not even talking about academic rigors. Which schoosl are you considering?
Does anybody have experience with NROTC and college in general at either UCLA or University of Maryland?
good luck
ahadu

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I know a couple oc's at maryland if you have some questions let me know I can ask for you

lenny

FC2SPYGUY - thanks for reply. Is any of the Maryland OCs aerospace engineering major? If yes, could you find out for me their general experience with handling NROTC drills and engineering workload at the same time? Also prior credits, SAT scores will really help me to decide ...
Thank you
Ahadu

STA-21NURSE

Although not extremely important to you pilot types, I have applied to the University of Washington, University of Minnesota, University of Missouri and Point Loma Nazarene University.
FYI - The ROTC folks at UMN are VERY VERY helpful. Also, Mizzou was really fast to get me a STA-21 sponsor.
I have all of my apps submitted. I am just waiting on my transcripts and SATs to be delivered to the universities. I will let you all know just as soon as the results of the apps start coming in.

U Of Minnesota is extremly helpful, also applied to JU and Old Dominion. U of Minnesota also said they could get me a early acceptance letter. If I can get in, I will go with U of M, I can learn to live with the cold.

Core Selectee Schools

Core Selectee here…

Applied to San Diego State, University of Memphis, Christian Brothers University, Old Dominion, and Cal State San Marcos…

So far only the U of Memphis has provided me with an Acceptance Letter and Degree plan. I have not submitted to STA yet.

Completed - Associates in Management – Park University

I hope that I will be able to finish my Bachelors swiftly. The new age requirements are preventing me from going SWO so I am now looking at Pilot and NFO.

Boost in FEB followed by NSI followed by a University.