• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Selection Statistics

haubby

None
Contributor
Personally I think one can have an outstanding CO's endorsement applying strictly for the CORE option. A CO's endorsement is a CO's endorsement and as long as you cover all the bases, it's all about how much time and effort you put into it (and your writing ability). But then of course everything you say has to be substantiated with creditable evidence and is ultimately up to the CO to say yay or nay.

I see where et1nuke is coming from and can understand the reasoning. Yes the instruction strongly encourages you if your applying to a Target Option to select CORE as your 2nd option. However if you didn't make the cut for say SWO, I wouldn't think the chances of you getting picked up for CORE would be any better. That being said I have I'm sure there are people out there that have done exactly that.

I would have to see more statistics on who applied for what programs and who ultimately got selected for the programs in which they applied to make an assumption that applying strictly for the CORE option would overly hinder your acceptance into STA-21. Unfortunately the NAVADMIN's don't get that specific.

My stance is either you make the cut or you don't for the FY. If its not your year and not selected, reevaluate, repeat process. Next year I'll be too old for SWO (which baffles me why you have to commissioned prior to 29 and not 31) but I'll try my hand at NFO.

If you couldn't tell I strictly applied for the CORE option. ;)

hourocket

Bullseye
None
I was in the FY 02 class and I selected CORE...about the CO's endorsement, they are looking to see how good a Naval Officer you are going to be, not how good a NFO/Pilot/etc..... So I think putting CORE somewhere on your choice would be smart.

A few examples from the guys I commissioned with. One put SWO just because he knew they needed SWO and was just looking for the commission, well he tried while in college to go Nuke, couldnt because he was "too old" which was a bunch of crap, and he couldnt go NFO or pilot becuase he was picked up for SWO, so he was stuck. Another guy went for CORE, tried for pilot, didnt have high enough scores, didnt want NFO, so now he is SWO.

So in the end, dont look at CORE as a bad thing because you are open to options once you start college and not stuck with something you may or may not like.