• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Interview Boards

Snipesley

Maritime Kbay
I have been getting alot of good information out of this forum on almost every part of the package, however, no one has brought up the review board. Can anyone tell me how their board was? Any difficult questions? How should I prepare?

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I'd say the only way to prepare for it would be to ask yourself these questions and make sure you know how to answer them for yourself. Lots of people will tell you there are no right answers to any of the questions you'll be asked but being confident and well spoken are going to help.

Here are some of the many questions I was asked. (I applied 3 times)
Why do you want to be a Naval Officer?
What are you going to bring to the Navy?
Why do you want to be a pilot? (if it applies--also insert any other option)
If your answer is ever "To be a leader." Than, why not be a Chief?

Also its a good idea to be as knowledgable as you can be on the entire STA-21 program, not just the application process.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Hey Snipesley,

Good luck with your application next year! I was asked the same questions ET1 posted above. I also have a few more questions you may be asked (I was asked these more than once):

What do you think is your worst trait? (Have an honest answer, and tell them how you are improving it.)

Scenario: You are ordered by a senior officer to do (whatever) and you strongly disagree with it. What do you do about it? (Remember, the officer's oath does NOT say "I will obey the orders of those appointed over me". It's not like being enlisted where the one giving the order will be at fault, there are different expectations when you become an officer.)

If you could change something about the Navy, what would it be?

How do you feel about IA deployments and what would you do if you were selected for one? (I was asked this at both of my boards this year since IA has ramped up a bit.)

There were others of course but I can't think of them at the moment. I hope this helps and gives you an idea of what to expect. Good luck again.

haubby

None
Contributor
The couple questions/topics that sticked out in my mind from my board were on fraternization (Officer and Enlisted) and how I felt about women getting pregnant on Sea Duty.

These boards are designed to not only test your knowledge of the Navy but they are also to see how you react/respond to certain situations and your ability to effectively convey your thoughts. Always take a moment and think about your response before you start speaking.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
First off, good luck with your boards! To add to what ETC, Flamedog and Haubby said, the key to successful interviews is a term called "boardsmanship" which basically is the means "the manner in which you conduct yourself during any interview board." You should be poised and confident without coming off as being cocky. Look the interviewers in the eyes when you speak to them, speak up and speak clearly and don't talk with your hands. Make sure that you stay at attention until they put you at ease!

Here are a few questions I was asked in addition to ones already mentioned:

"Do you think Officers should have to recite the Sailor's Creed?"
"Name two things you like about the Navy and two things you would change if given the opportunity"
"Explain to me why you think you'd make a good Naval Officer"

Also expect to field questions about what is contained in your application package, such as awards received, college experience (if any) and anything else you submitted. Also be up on current affairs in case they ask you questions about things like the War in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc.

I think that's everything I've got for you...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Any officer can ask you any question they want. So just be honest, be yourself, and get to the point. Oh yeah like ET1nuke said, definitely be familiar with the whole process of STA-21.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
A little off the topic, but something I noted during my interview boards is, along with everything else posted here, your level of enthusiasm for the program you're applying for. If you show enthusiasm, it will come through on the interview sheets.

Also, they take notice of a sharp-looking uniform appearance. Go in with an inspection-ready, 5.0 uniform and they will notice that, too.

Something else I was asked about was the structure of the air wings and why the different air wings are designated the way they are.

Also, to add to what others have said here, you may or may not be asked why you've chosen the STA-21 program, and what other paths to a commission are available to you.

Good luck next year!

beniqueze

recommendation letter format

Good Morning Sir/ madam

I need a template for a recommendation letter. I am applying for an officer program.

LoneSailor

Concur with ETC's board questions, those are classic questions you will be asked. I've done about 3 officer boards (1 for USNA, 2 for STA-21) and they were pretty much the same.. what I did for each year was to fill up a notebook with possible questions and practiced answering them in my head. Go around your command and ask any O-3's and above for some example Q's you might be asked.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Also expect to field questions about what is contained in your application package, such as awards received, college experience (if any) and anything else you submitted.

Per my OIC's guidance, I made four additional copies of my package (personal statement, transcripts, awards, etc.) and put them in sheet protectors in binders. That way the members could flip through at their leisure. They looked very professional and worked great for both boards.

One question I got twice was concerning how you would handle having a former shipmate (friend and foe) in your division.

Finally, I would advise that you first make sure you have good SAT/ACT scores, then get good grades in some recent college courses to show that you are both capable and determined (especially in math/science), and if you've erred in the past (e.g. like a mast in your first year) own up to it.

utak

I wasn't a STA-21 guy, but I applied (and was accepted) for OCS as a junior schoolhouse Petty Officer with no Fleet time. I did one internal board with my chain of command, and an external with the designator I wanted (aviation).

The questions I was asked in both boards was very much in tune with STA-21.

1) Tell us about yourself (this was the intro, they wanted to get a feel of me).
2) Scenario: "You are an Ensign, and you see a Second Class drunk; it's the morning before muster. He just turned 21 last night, he's your best sailor in your division, and that day you are doing workups and you need him. What do you do." Another was how, as an aviator, you will lead a division of sailors as a collateral duty when you are busy flying. They wanted to see both reply to coordinate with the Chief.
3) What do you think about the phrase, "Mission First, Sailors Always"?
4) What is the new CNO doing that the old CNO did not.
5) What do you think about IAs?
6) What do you think is the Navy's Global War on Terror.

They also tried to rip me apart and explain myself. I was asked about my evals which were only standard Promotable, my medical drop from BUD/S Training and what I have learned from that experience, and one "What makes you think you will get picked for OCS, when you are up against all of these Fleet veterans who have earned their degree in the service and have glowing evals and endorsements?"

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Per my OIC's guidance, I made four additional copies of my package (personal statement, transcripts, awards, etc.) and put them in sheet protectors in binders. That way the members could flip through at their leisure. They looked very professional and worked great for both boards.

Yeah theres no way I would have done that. My package was almost 200 pages. It was a pain just to copy it on the xerox machine, forget sheet protectors.

EDIT: Not that I'm trying to brag how big my "package" was or anything ;)