• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY08...Where do you want to go to school?

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I feel the need to say you guys are really over thinking this. We aren't the selection board, quit trying to come up with all the right answers on here. You have already made it. You have three years to finish, period. If you push through and get done quickly good on ya. You get commissioned sooner and fly sooner. That being said, the instruction never says you need to get done as soon as possible it says compete requirements in 36 months. I would really like to get back to the fun stuff about this program, seeing where people are going and getting psyched about Boost and/or NSI.

I could care less how long someone takes to complete their degree, but I guess it's up to ones interpretation of "proportionately reduced period of time."

OPNAVINST 1420.1A
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/app.html

e. Following completion of NSI, all participants will enroll in college studies. Enrollment may begin as early as the summer semester following selection notification or later depending upon assigned reporting date and program option. Based upon college-level credits already earned by STA-21 participants, advanced academic standing may be granted at the discretion of the individual university. Students so advanced will be expected to complete degree requirements in a proportionately reduced period of time.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
FLAMEDOG: I don't read FMRAM's posts as being detrimental, or a character flaw impacting his ability to be a future Naval Officer. He is taking advantage of an opportunity to continue his education, and enjoy his time in college. I don't understand why so many in today's military equate stellar service with how much pain you go through. As far as I am concerned, FMRAM's thinking out of the box, recharging his batteries, and will do more than fine as an Officer and Naval Aviator. Heck, I can tell you that I would probably rather spend more time with HIM in the wardroom.... the rest of you would probably give ME shit for saying "let's go get a beer at the o'club".... would your response have been "but it's not 1700 yet!"...

Granted, I am over dramaticizing... but I think this griping at FMRAM for "milking it out" is silly. My 2.5 years at UF were some of the best in my Naval career.

Thank you Websan... ;)

FMRAM

Original Quote: By the way thanks for your service in the blue shirt community FMRAM, I can see why you were selected for STA-21 with that kind of effort put in. The question is, which attitude will you take into the officer community?

Thanks for the underhanded compliment there shipmate.

To answer you question, I will bring the same hard-working, and fun-loving attitude that I have always had in my 7.5 years in the Navy. This is opposed to your stick in the mud, holier than thou, attitude combined with the personal attacks that you love so much, that will probably make your peers intensely dislike you.

Note the lack of smilies.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
What does it say about character? It tells ME that someone isn't out to kill themselves on a shore tour, pacing themselves and doing well in college. The NROTC unit approves all degree plans, and trust me, if the individual wasn't taking their required load, or completing it on time, they would have some serious explaining to do to the man.

"GET YOUR CRAP DONE AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL TO THE NAVY", you are killin me... it is not a sprint to the finish line, there are multiple hurdles along the path to becoming an Officer and getting your Wings. Any ONE of them can trip you up. The Navy has assigned each of the NROTC and STA sailors a job, to get your degree within a specified time limit, and a minimum number of credit hours per term. You fail that job by taking on too much, you will find yourself out of the program and back in the Fleet. I have seen that happen.

Every one of the blue shirts in the STA program is being "useful to the Navy" and fullfilling their duties appropriately. You, shipmate (yes, I did just shipmate you) need to correct that attitude.

I am "pacing myself" as much as I can while still carrying the minimum course load that the Navy requires. I can't help the fact that it will only take me 4 semesters to complete the remainder of the courses I need to complete my degree. I was simply defending my position and that of others in my shoes who were being called "lame" just because we weren't looking for every possible way to stretch out our time at school to the max 36 months...

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
OK FMRAM, if my comments bother you that much I apologize. I never meant them as personal attacks on you, I just don't necessarily agree with your attitude in this area. I never told you what to do or said I was better than you because I'm planning on finishing school as soon as I can, that's just what I want to do...and you said I'm lame because of it. (Who's holier than thou??) I never called you any name and my comment about your enlisted service was sincere. Can we please move on now?

k_smittay

I am "pacing myself" as much as I can while still carrying the minimum course load that the Navy requires. I can't help the fact that it will only take me 4 semesters to complete the remainder of the courses I need to complete my degree. I was simply defending my position and that of others in my shoes who were being called "lame" just because we weren't looking for every possible way to stretch out our time at school to the max 36 months...

Ok ok ok... everybody calm down. Point taken. If you want to stretch out your time.. then so be it. Nothing is stopping you. If you want to finish as fast as possible, that is cool as well. If you fall somewhere in between, even better.

For the time being though.. relax. No point getting frustrated on an internet forum. You won't please everyone, and in all honesty, who cares.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
... the rest of you would probably give ME shit for saying "let's go get a beer at the o'club".... would your response have been "but it's not 1700 yet!"...

You don't have to worry about me ever saying that...I have the hours of the Chief's club memorized and you can find me there almost every friday when they open at 1100.

Course the way I view that time I actually consider it still working. As a supervisor and leader in todays navy you need to build strong relationships with the other leaders that surround you. I think its time well spent, the same as is participating in any educational or personal enrichment program that the military has to offer.

The navy will always get back out of you what you owe it, so don't hate the other guy for going to college because guess what he earned that opportunity and it will be put to good use. If that wasn't true he wouldn't have been selected.

FMRAM

OK FMRAM, if my comments bother you that much I apologize. I never meant them as personal attacks on you, I just don't necessarily agree with your attitude in this area. I never told you what to do or said I was better than you because I'm planning on finishing school as soon as I can, that's just what I want to do...and you said I'm lame because of it. (Who's holier than thou??) I never called you any name and my comment about your enlisted service was sincere. Can we please move on now?

Agree to disagree I suppose.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You don't have to worry about me ever saying that...I have the hours of the Chief's club memorized and you can find me there almost every friday when they open at 1100.
Where's my invite? :D I am only a short drive away, and even though I am a shift LT, that shouldn't be held against me...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Apologies from me also... I know I came off high and right, but damnit, you are ALL the best the enlisted community has to offer. You all are going to make damn fine Officers that I will be proud to serve with. Your peers in the Wardroom are going to look to you for advice and leadership. If you aren't a complete jackass mustang, the Chiefs and E's are going to see one of their own that did well, and hopefully is taking care of thier sailors the way it should be done. I guess what I am saying is that sniping on here is beneath you, and especially criticizing another OC on how they are getting through the program. Mustangs should be team builders.... leave the back stabbing to the SWOs...

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
you are ALL the best the enlisted community has to offer. You all are going to make damn fine Officers that I will be proud to serve with. Your peers in the Wardroom are going to look to you for advice and leadership. If you aren't a complete jackass mustang, the Chiefs and E's are going to see one of their own that did well, and hopefully is taking care of thier sailors the way it should be done. I guess what I am saying is that sniping on here is beneath you, and especially criticizing another OC on how they are getting through the program. Mustangs should be team builders.... leave the back stabbing to the SWOs...

Indeed. Webmaster, you hit the nail on the head there!