• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY08...Where do you want to go to school?

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Give me your top 1, 2, or 3 places to go to school....

How many places at each school? Does it vary based on openings or do they say "one here, one there, etc.?"

Interested to hear where everyone is wanting to go.

I went throught STA-21 back in 2003. I applied to 5 schools...

Georgetown Univ
The George Washington Univ
Boston Univ
Miami Univ of Ohio
Univ of Maryland

Got in at all 5 and decided on GW. Majored in Poli Sci and academically felt I made the best choice. However..... my wallet probably would have preferred BU, MofO, or UMD. I graduated 20K in debt even after the Navy $$$. Definitely something I might have considered more, but all in all happy with my choice!

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I got my 1st acceptance letter.. Auburn... I will be going there if my "appeal" to the University of North Florida's current transfer policy doesn't come through..

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I understand taking advantage of the opportunity to go to school but: 1) I have to be commissioned before the Summer 2010 term to meet the 29 years old age requirement, 2) My goal is to become a Naval Aviator, not a career college student. Call me lame or whatever, I'd rather be splitting my time between a classroom and a cockpit than just a classroom. To each his own.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I understand taking advantage of the opportunity to go to school but: 1) I have to be commissioned before the Summer 2010 term to meet the 29 years old age requirement, 2) My goal is to become a Naval Aviator, not a career college student. Call me lame or whatever, I'd rather be splitting my time between a classroom and a cockpit than just a classroom. To each his own.

Exactly!! Atleast ONE other person on here understands where I'm coming from!!

Sayre

It really says something about your character to purposely try to take as long as you can to finish your degree. You were selected for the program so you can be an officer. Get your crap done and make yourself useful to the Navy.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
It really says something about your character to purposely try to take as long as you can to finish your degree. You were selected for the program so you can be an officer. Get your crap done and make yourself useful to the Navy.

:thumbup_1 :thumbup_1

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

I see your point, but I have to respectfully dissagree. STA-21 guys are only given 3 years to complete a degrees that in most cases should take 5. I worked my ass off through 3 deployments, taking college full-time for 3 1/2 years before getting into this program. So my "dragging this out" for a little over 2 years does not constitute a character flaw...thank you very much. :icon_tong

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Puh-lease

What does it say about character? It tells ME that someone isn't out to kill themselves on a shore tour, pacing themselves and doing well in college. The NROTC unit approves all degree plans, and trust me, if the individual wasn't taking their required load, or completing it on time, they would have some serious explaining to do to the man.

"GET YOUR CRAP DONE AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL TO THE NAVY", you are killin me... it is not a sprint to the finish line, there are multiple hurdles along the path to becoming an Officer and getting your Wings. Any ONE of them can trip you up. The Navy has assigned each of the NROTC and STA sailors a job, to get your degree within a specified time limit, and a minimum number of credit hours per term. You fail that job by taking on too much, you will find yourself out of the program and back in the Fleet. I have seen that happen.

Every one of the blue shirts in the STA program is being "useful to the Navy" and fullfilling their duties appropriately. You, shipmate (yes, I did just shipmate you) need to correct that attitude.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I got my 1st acceptance letter.. Auburn... I will be going there if my "appeal" to the University of North Florida's current transfer policy doesn't come through..

I'm in grad school at UNF and know a couple of the department chairs. Let me know if you want me to contact them on your behalf.

k_smittay

What does it say about character? It tells ME that someone isn't out to kill themselves on a shore tour, pacing themselves and doing well in college. The NROTC unit approves all degree plans, and trust me, if the individual wasn't taking their required load, or completing it on time, they would have some serious explaining to do to the man.

"GET YOUR CRAP DONE AND MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL TO THE NAVY", you are killin me... it is not a sprint to the finish line, there are multiple hurdles along the path to becoming an Officer and getting your Wings. Any ONE of them can trip you up. The Navy has assigned each of the NROTC and STA sailors a job, to get your degree within a specified time limit, and a minimum number of credit hours per term. You fail that job by taking on too much, you will find yourself out of the program and back in the Fleet. I have seen that happen.

Every one of the blue shirts in the STA program is being "useful to the Navy" and fullfilling their duties appropriately. You, shipmate (yes, I did just shipmate you) need to correct that attitude.

Amen.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
Original Quote: It tells ME that someone isn't out to kill themselves on a shore tour, pacing themselves and doing well in college.

I don't think anyone here is saying you need to over-work yourself to finish as quickly as possible and get into the fleet. That being said, the purpose of the STA-21 program is to make Commissioned Officers out of "elite" enlisted members, not create a bunch of "Van Wilder's". If you start the STA-21 program with 100 transfer credits out of 124 for your degree you shouldn't have to "kill yourself" to finish your degree in a year or less. I have 32 credits to be completely done with the degree and STA-21 requirements. If I take the minimum load starting next summer and finishing the following spring that is 42 hours. I will still have to fill my schedule with extra classes just be full-time. I'm not going to drag it out for 2 1/2 years just because I can. Double majoring is one thing, I can understand that taking longer, and great on you for accomplishing it. The problem that some of us have, in my opinion, is the ATTITUDE of "milking this out". Most bachelor degrees do not require 5 years to complete if you go full time. 3 years of full-time, year-round study (124 credits in total) should be plenty of time to complete a bachelor even with minimal credits coming in. By the way thanks for your service in the blue shirt community FMRAM, I can see why you were selected for STA-21 with that kind of effort put in. The question is, which attitude will you take into the officer community?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FLAMEDOG: I don't read FMRAM's posts as being detrimental, or a character flaw impacting his ability to be a future Naval Officer. He is taking advantage of an opportunity to continue his education, and enjoy his time in college. I don't understand why so many in today's military equate stellar service with how much pain you go through. As far as I am concerned, FMRAM's thinking out of the box, recharging his batteries, and will do more than fine as an Officer and Naval Aviator. Heck, I can tell you that I would probably rather spend more time with HIM in the wardroom.... the rest of you would probably give ME shit for saying "let's go get a beer at the o'club".... would your response have been "but it's not 1700 yet!"...

Granted, I am over dramaticizing... but I think this griping at FMRAM for "milking it out" is silly. My 2.5 years at UF were some of the best in my Naval career.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I feel the need to say you guys are really over thinking this. We aren't the selection board, quit trying to come up with all the right answers on here. You have already made it. You have three years to finish, period. If you push through and get done quickly good on ya. You get commissioned sooner and fly sooner. That being said, the instruction never says you need to get done as soon as possible it says compete requirements in 36 months. I would really like to get back to the fun stuff about this program, seeing where people are going and getting psyched about Boost and/or NSI.

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I never said FMRAM has character flaws. I do, however, think there line between "enjoying your good deal" and "milking it for all it's worth". Of course I'm going to enjoy my time in school, I'll have a lot more time to spend with my family. I won't be "going through pain" to finish either: 12 credits in the Summer (minimum), 16 in the Fall (one over minimum), 16 in the Spring (one over minimum), Graduation. What I'd like to know is why there are so many people that forget the first half of the phrase "WORK HARD, play hard. (That is not accusing anyone in particular by the way, just a rhetorical question). I'm all about liberty, but I do take my job seriously and I want to be the best I can at whatever I do. As far as thinking outside the box, from my experience FMRAM is thinking like the norm. Almost every NROTC/STA OC I've spoken with have used or plan to use the maximum amount of time they can get to finish. Many of them came in with over half of their degree done too and they admitted that they take a lot of "extra" classes (golf, etc.) to stay longer. The Navy is fitting the bill for this. With all the extra money the Navy would save, they could afford to select a few more candidates...or make more bombs.:D (How's that for outside the box?:icon_wink)

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I feel the need to say you guys are really over thinking this. We aren't the selection board, quit trying to come up with all the right answers on here. You have already made it. You have three years to finish, period. If you push through and get done quickly good on ya. You get commissioned sooner and fly sooner. That being said, the instruction never says you need to get done as soon as possible it says compete requirements in 36 months. I would really like to get back to the fun stuff about this program, seeing where people are going and getting psyched about Boost and/or NSI.

Yea, point taken. I'm done, and if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. I'm sure everyone here will strive to be great officers.

I'm stoked to be leaving in Feb. for NSI and even more excited to get commissioned and start flight school. Good luck to everyone on your path to commission.