• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY05 Hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

STA21pilot

Allright everyone, let me know how I stand:

I'm a 23 year old 4.5 year ET2(SW) just rotated to Instructor Duty. I've been a 2nd for 1.5 years, my first 2nd class (frocked) eval was an EP 1 of 25. The 3rd class eval before that was an EP 1 of 23 3rd's in the division. My most recent was 7 of 94 2nd's on the ship. The number 1 MP (so close)!
ACT scores are 24 English, 29 Math,
ASTB scores OAR: 57 AQR: 8 PFAR: 7 NFOFAR: 6 PBI: 7 NFOBI: 6
I got a 2.1 GPA in High School, sucks hugh, that's why I enlisted. But am gearing for Calc I in the Fall and have ACED 3 of 3 classes I've taken since Spring '00. I'm still taking Summer classes, Pre-Calc and Intro to Gen Chem. Fall will be Calc I and Chem 200 w/ L . First year Aerospace Engineering courses. I have a Letter of Recomendation from my Captain of my last Command prior to transfer, and my Trigonometry instructor wrote me one also. That pretty much caps my package. I know that Pilot is very backed up and last year for STA-21 they only accepted 42 of 145 applicants for Pilot. I hope I get in there, my CO's recommendation weigh's heavily, but I've been pursuing my Instructor cert. and MTS cert. at the same time, they should both be done before results post in October. Well if anyone has any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

STA21Pilot

digger

There is a speed limit when taxing officer?
42 out of 145! That is about 30% (quick math), that is better than the advancement in the ET rate.
bouncy_125.gif

"Those people who tell you not to take chances
They are all missing on what life is about" -James Hetfield

WFU2USN

STA21Pilot,

Given your credentials, I'd say you are competitive. Really work on selling yourself in your personal statement - i.e. why you'd be an asset to the USN as an officer. You may also want to lightly mention that the Navy has given you direction - you didn't do so well while in high school, but have clearly done well as an enlisted sailor as shown in doing well in college classes, good evals, making ET2 and earning your ESWS.

Other important factors will be your PRT, ATSB and such.

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

STA21pilot

Great! I have really solidified my Personal Statement, I've enlisted some help, but it is very personal, but "gussyed up" a bit. I definitely menitoned all of the prerequisites they call for in the program, so I'm good there. I'm just NERVOUS about my interviews starting the 9th and 10th with the officers and the 13th with the CO. Also my SNA physical will be complete the Wednesday after the 2 boards, prior to the CO's (just want to make sure the Captain, can officailly state that I am physically qualified for the program before he sign's the recommendation). My one nervousness is emenatting from my soundness and security in being compelling with the obvious question that are going to be asked: "Why do you want to become an Officer?" "Why do you want to be a Pilot?" "Why the STA-21 program?" and "Why do you want to put yourself at risk, when you have a wife and 2 children?" I've been focusing on the answers I will respond with, at these questions, not necessarily "rehearsed", but sincere and thought out. I love the Navy, and want to excell in a formidable enviroment, not only for personal, but also for community representaion and glorification. I feel like I will make a good officer, but no matter what happens. Wherever God puts me, I'm gonna be the best damn Officer/Pilot/Chief/Whatever that I can be, no doubt! That's just my personallity. I'll definitely let you guys know how everything goes. I'm on leave now enjoying some time off before hitting the grind again, but I'll keep everyone posted. Wish me Luck.

The Hopeful!
angel_125.gif

STA21pilot

Well things are going well. I'm through 2 boards and will see the CO this friday. Also I finished my SNA physical and the Flight Surgeon certified me as qualified for SNA status
smirk_125.gif
!!! SWEEEEEETTTTT!!! Man that optometry check-up really screwed my eyes up for about a day.
crazy_125.gif
Well there won't be too much happening after the CO's board, but I'll make sure and post how it goes. Later.

STA21Pilot
angel_125.gif

STA21pilot

irked_125.gif

Yeah, slighly irked... The CO's board was okay. Ranked 7 of 10, but I'm new to the Training Command with a Great Rec. From my old CO on the ship, but he couldn't put me any higher (The only 2nd with 3 months onboard). But I ranked 1 of 1 Pilot Applicants.
mischievous_125.gif

But the CO from my Nomination was an old Third Fleet captain on my last ship, and he loved me... So maybe it will carry some weight. I'm still optomistic, and cranking out College Classes at the local Community College. I'm applying primarily to CU at Boulder. With the time constraints I'll be perfect for completion of all the first year classes of and Aerospace Engineering student. So if I do get accepted, everything will be gravy. But as far as I'm concerned, If I don't get accepted and get my MTS here at the training command, I'll be almost a shoe in for a top slot next year, and I'll have a lot more classes done to cut down on the class load... But the long wait till Oct. is ahead. I'll definitely let anyone know what happens. Take Care.
angel_125.gif
The Hopefull

unfUSN

Dos anyone know when the results for the SAT-21 board are going to come out? I had a few people in my old Div apply.

Thanks

STA21pilot

The board convenes in September, and the results come out in Navy Message Traffic mid to late October. If one of your friends makes it, I'm sure someone will contact them. No Doubt.
bouncy_125.gif

unfUSN

I'm sure they'll get the message I just wanted to know when to start looking so that I could see if they made it for my self... I was like the un-offical career counselor for my boat... the real NCC sucked.

Thanks for the info...

fnewton

STA21pilot-

good luck with your selection. I graduated from the BOOST program as an FC2 in 1998. The first time I applied I did not get selected. I talked with my DIV-O and asked him what I needed to fix to become more competitive. I fixed those things, applied again and got it. I was commmissioned in March 2002 and I will be going to advanced jets next week. I'm sure you'll get the program, but if not, don't give up.

In A-school the career counselor told me that I wasn't officer material. I'll be promoted to 1stLt (I switched to the Marine Corps) in 6 months. Remember, the Navy/Marine Corps needs leaders. Flying comes second.

STA21pilot

"FY04 STA-21 Selection Board results are tentatively scheduled for released via NAVADMIN message in mid-October. Results will also be available on BUPERS Access and the STA-21 homepage."

Isn't it "Mid-October" now??? This is taking forever!!!

unfUSN

Originally posted by STA21pilot
"FY04 STA-21 Selection Board results are tentatively scheduled for released via NAVADMIN message in mid-October. Results will also be available on BUPERS Access and the STA-21 homepage."

Isn't it "Mid-October" now??? This is taking forever!!!

STA21Pilot-

Can you post a link to the message on the board when it comes out? I want to see if the two guys on my boat that I helped made the cut...
Thanks...

LTJG Payne

STA21pilot

nonono_125.gif
Yeah...

Didn't make it... Maybe I should change it to FY05 Hopeful...
irked_125.gif
(HaHa...
jester_125.gif
)

BUT!!!!!
mean_125.gif

I'm still in school taking my first year Aerospace Engineering courses... and grades are looking good!
"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"
Now I have another 9 months to prepare for next year. And I'm already formulating a plan to complete my MTS and keep beefing up. The CO originally told me at my board that he didn't think I would make it this year, but I should have a good shot next year. Well let's put it to the test. I'm not really gonna lose any time here, cuz if I can get in next year and be ready for Full Time school Fall '05 I'll still be on track to graduate 2 years later in Spring '07. So I'm not losing any time on my completion date, just putting off acceptance for a year. I'm gonna keep on doin this thing till I'm finished with my degree and going straight through OCS. I'm just having faith in God's plan for me, and I hope this desire in my heart to fly is for a reason.
"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you. You will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you." -John 15:7

Status
Not open for further replies.