• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Springfield XD-40

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm a fan of my XD in .45. It shoots accurately and reliably, and 14 rounds of .45 ACP is nothing to laugh at. Despite it's capacity, it fits comfortably into even my small carnie hands. Hell, my wife (weakest wrists ever) can even shoot reasonably solid groups with the XD with no malfunctions. Having never shot the pistol in .40, I can't really speak to it, but I have fired both the 9mm and my .45. As I've said before, the recoil, while appreciably greater with the .45, is still very controllable.

All that being said, it's not the easiest pistol to conceal, which is how I always carry here in NC (no open carry). Unless I've got my M9 in the thigh rig for work, that is. I've really taken to carrying my Kahr CW9 lately, and I'm probably going to buy another Kahr soon.

...And for the record, the Regan Revolution will NEVER end.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
... 14 rounds of .45 ACP is nothing to laugh at...
Thats one reason I would like to get one. Not that I dont think I could get the job done with my 7 rds in my 1911, but twice as much is always twice as nice when talking ammo.
... my small carnie hands...
You dont smell like cabbage too, do you? :D

it's not the easiest pistol to conceal
How do you carry it when you conceal? With my 1911 I have used a small-of-the-back type holster or shoulder holster, the only problem is that you pretty much have to be wearing a jacket to have it hidden. The PCola weather does really work well with jackets ...

...And for the record, the Regan Revolution will NEVER end.
We can only hope it never will!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I use a Don Hume IWB and an OWB. Don Hume puts out quality merchandise, and their customer service is outstanding. The IWB and the XD requires a bit of a committment, as the overall width of the gun and holster together needs a little extra space. Consequently, I needed a pair of pants a size bigger than what I normally wear. Which caused me to start looking for the OWB. I still practice drawing from and carry with both, but like I said, I've been carrying my Kahr a lot lately. More so, now that I've got a decent holster for it, instead of the crappy Uncle Mike's job I used to use.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I carry either of my Kimber full-size 1911's in a Galco "inside-out" IWB holster, works very well, very easy to conceal. I second the Don Hume, not bad stuff, plus they are very rigid in my experience, making them a bit faster draw than the Galco I wear, though not quite as comfortable.

Oh, and to answer the question, if you DON'T go with the .45, and instead go with .40 cal, I would get a used/factory re-certified SIG P226. The XD-45 is really nice, and a lot better capacity than SIG's single-stack P228, so if .45 is the caliber, I think the XD is a good choice. But if going with something smaller, I believe the double-stack P226 in 9MM or 40 to be generally superior to the XD in either...and you can usually get them for fairly comparable prices.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Second that...plus the p226 is just so damn beautiful...:)

p226-hogue-right-full.jpg

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Oh, and to answer the question, if you DON'T go with the .45, and instead go with .40 cal, I would get a used/factory re-certified SIG P226.

I picked up my .40cal P229 (226 with a shorter barrel) at a local shop, got it factory re-cert and it performs beautifully. Had it for a few months now and the only gripe I had was one of the mags had a faulty spring. Hardly a reason not to save almost $200 on a quality weapon.