• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Springfield XD-40

phrogpilot73

Before I get flamed, I did a search and only saw a small mention of it, and wanted a bit more info. My wife and I went gun shopping for her (I already own a Uzi Eagle .40 S&W), and I suggested we look at .40 S&W guns. So after looking at probably close to 20 different guns, we like the Springfield Armory XD-40. Fit well in her hand, she could manipulate everything without too much effort, and felt well balanced in both our hands. My questions are this:

1. Who owns one, and what kind of price should we be looking for? (The gun shop we went to wanted $597) - I'm asking this because it's been 8+ years since I've bought a gun.
2. How long have you owned it, and do you have any pro/cons about it?

Any other general info would be helpful.

MasterBates

$600 seems a bit steep for an XD. Going rate was closer to $450 here last year for the XD9 and $500 for the XD45.

I don't own one, but have shot an XD45 a bit, and liked it.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have an XD-9, bought it a year and a half ago or so, price sounds about right, think I paid 550 or so but got tritium sights on it.

Nothing but good things to say about it, tempted to get the XD-45

tiger84

LT
pilot
Don'ty own one but I rented an XD-40 at the local range. I expected to find the trigger/grip safeties to be annoying, but I generally liked it and would consider picking one up if I was currently in the market. As for price I've seen them around here for about $500.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've got an XD in .45, with the 4" barrell. No tritium sights (when I bought it) or any other extras, and I paid $525 out the door.

Ace_Austin

pilot
I have owned an XD 40 for the past year. Its a solid weapon. Some people don't like the trigger pull ( Which you can have changed. ) but I like a slightly stronger pull. I've fired probly 1000-1100 rounds through her. Mostly the cheap Winchester plinking ammo from Wal-Mart. Never had a feed or firing failure. Fits my hand like a glove. The hammer/round chambered indicators let you know the exact status of the weapon by feel alone. You'll never "forget" to safe the weapon, just take your finger off the trigger or holster it. Paid 499 new for her. Hope this helps.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Paying over $600 for a plastic frame pistol is ridiculous, and that's why I'll never buy an HK, as much as I want one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm selling off my bi-tone OD/black XD-40 4" and I just traded in my XD-9 subcompact. In other words ... I'm getting out of the XD pistol.

I paid $475 at the local hardware store @ 2 years ago for the .40 caliber, but I bumped it up considerably with the addition of Heinie night sights, 12 round magazines (it came with 10 rounders prior to the ban expiration), a holster and mag carrier, and a BarSto barrel in .357 SIG.

The XD's were always like a Glock with lipstick and eye makeup to me ... in other words ... an "improved" Glock; a slightly "prettier" Glock. They still have the feel of a Glock trigger, however, and that's not high on my list of favorite things. The XD's never failed to function in any caliber and fit my hand "O.K." ... but there was just "something" about them that didn't appeal to me. That was in spite of the fact it was designed to be similar to a 1911 grip (and while I love the 1911), I don't think the XD does it for me .... :)

I wasn't too impressed with the overall finish (no problems, just not impressed), the grip "stippling" or checkering, and I don't like Springfield's policy on parts --- they want you to send the gun back for service -- I prefer the alternative of buying my own spare parts and doing my own "fixing" rather than a month + turnaround.
I REALLY didn't like the 1911-style grip safety wherein you could not clear the chamber/rack the slide rearward without the "grip-safety" being depressed. That ended up leaving me depressed .... :)

Overall: a good pistol. Just not a "great" pistol. So I'm bailing on the XD's.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Paying over $600 for a plastic frame pistol is ridiculous, and that's why I'll never buy an HK, as much as I want one.

You won't remember the extra $150 for an H&K in a paycheck or two ... but you will remember the fine quality handgun. At least relatively speaking ... we ARE talking about modern Euro-trash pistols and their designs, yes???

You can get an XD for less than $450 now @ CDNN Sports, Abilene, TX. Check their online catalog ... I've had good luck with them on 2 purchases. They even "accidently" sent me a pistol with factory night sights on one H&K I bought from them ... no charge, of course. :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Yeah, that's what I thought too when I first was looking a few years ago. In my opinion, HK's are definitely worth it. I've shot mine (HK USP Compact) in just about every condition except sand and I'm still amazed at the quality.

As for the original question, I've shot the Xd a few times but it wasn't anything spectacular in my opinion.

Big thing though, if she likes the pistol and it fits well, I'd say get it. I think a pistol is more about how it fits the person than anything else.

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
You won't remember the extra $150 for an H&K in a paycheck or two ... but you will remember the fine quality handgun. At least relatively speaking ... we ARE talking about modern Euro-trash pistols and their designs, yes???

You can get an XD for less than $450 now @ CDNN Sports, Abilene, TX. Check their online catalog ... I've had good luck with them on 2 purchases. They even "accidently" sent me a pistol with factory night sights on one H&K I bought from them ... no charge, of course. :)

+1 for CDNN. Fly you could find your very own HK for under $600. Their online catalog is chock full of goodies.

Rubiks06

pilot
I have an xd-40 3" barrel. My wife loves it and i can shoot it without any problem. Some people say its hard to be accurate with the 3" barrel but i can still group inside 2 inches at 25 yards. Shoots great ive har one misfire with over 2000 rounds and it was a Federal hyrdashock. After talking to the manufacturer it turns out it was th brass in the batch. Theres a post on here about it. Ill second the post about the trigger pull. There is a little bit of take up after the dishcarge so you cant just ease the trigger foward until you reach the fireing point you actually have to ease foward to re-engage it then pull the trigger reward to engage the firing point. Its a great gun and a snap to clean breaks down in a hurry and just as fast to reassemble. Any questions feel free to PM me. Oh and def dont pay over 500 for one.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator

The prices that can be found and CDNN right now are RIDICULOUS. I just picked up a fully loaded Glock 19 (night sights and all) brand new for $440! They also had HKs on sale in the area of 640-650. They are a pleasure to do business with.