• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sports Asthma

shannongaghan

Hi,
I am starting the process for NAVY OCS and was diagnosed with Sports endused asthma years ago. I havent used my inhailer in years and was a college athlete, is this going to be a problem for me. Is there a waiver I'm going to have to get?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi,
I am starting the process for NAVY OCS and was diagnosed with Sports endused asthma years ago. I havent used my inhailer in years and was a college athlete, is this going to be a problem for me. Is there a waiver I'm going to have to get?

You’re going to need a waiver. Talk to your officer recruiter to see what exact medical documentation you need to retrieve prior to your physical exam at MEPS.

egiv

I had the same issue - unless things have changed, you shouldn't need a waiver as long as it was "childhood asthma" (if I remember correctly this means you didn't have it after 13 y/o). To demonstrate I didn't have it anymore, I went to my local doctor for a spirometry exam where you blow into a machine that measures your lung capacity.

I'd recommend getting the spirometry test, along with some sort of note from the doctor certifying you don't have asthma, and emphasizing the "childhood" nature of it. I'm not aware of what the requirements would be for the waiver, but as long as the asthma is no longer an issue, I'd personally prefer to avoid it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, be careful here. A diagnosis many years ago. No inhaler use. College athlete. Don't say anything until you have your ducks in a row. Get all documentation including a new consult before you even physical. Don't let them guess at anything. Drive the narrative. Come in hard with other doctors opinions and solid records. You simply say you had a diagnosis and you will be fighting an up hill battle straight away. If you were an athlete and haven't used an inhaler during that time, what would the Navy be worried about? They want to know you can perform without reliance on medication.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Yeah, I can speak again on this. When I was initially applying, I checked the block for "do you have or ever had" asthma, and got told "sorry but that's immediately disqualifying." Don't remember the specifics, but at some point in childhood I supposedly had it. Played high school football, etc, but fam had no documentation of asthma being "undiagnosed". Did the PFT (pulmonary function test) on my own dime to submit with great results, got accepted, did it again at OCS (twice, another story), and got the waiver. Do that for your waiver.

I would NEVER encourage an applicant to lie. But that was definitely some hoops to jump through when I could have checked a different box. But don't do that.

Mos

None
I got commissioned over ten years ago, but my experience was pretty much the same as Fink. Did a PFT before applying, answered honestly (but without excessive detail) on forms and submitted the paperwork for consideration. It remained a potential disqualifier until I made it through the NAMI process later.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yes, be careful here. A diagnosis many years ago. No inhaler use. College athlete. Don't say anything until you have your ducks in a row. Get all documentation including a new consult before you even physical. Don't let them guess at anything. Drive the narrative. Come in hard with other doctors opinions and solid records. You simply say you had a diagnosis and you will be fighting an up hill battle straight away. If you were an athlete and haven't used an inhaler during that time, what would the Navy be worried about? They want to know you can perform without reliance on medication.

The biggest pain with asthma history is getting though MEPS. Along with the asthma docs they also usually want ALL records the past 5 years. That could be difficult to retrieve or once the applicant does get the records, it’s discovered (whether it’s the recruiter or MEPS doc reviewing the record) that the applicant has another condition needing additional docs.

exNavyOffRec

The biggest pain with asthma history is getting though MEPS. Along with the asthma docs they also usually want ALL records the past 5 years. That could be difficult to retrieve or once the applicant does get the records, it’s discovered (whether it’s the recruiter or MEPS doc reviewing the record) that the applicant has another condition needing additional docs.

you pull one thread and others start to be seen.

cyrusu

pilot

So I went through MEPS back in SEP 2019 and got the waiver for childhood asthma a few days later. How likely do you think is it to get a waiver from NAMI given I went through MEPS without a problem? I know I'll have to take a methacholine challenge test in Newport because I haven't taken one within a year of applying for the waiver.

cyrusu

pilot
I just took my methacholine challenge test and PFT and they will be sent to NAMI soon. I passed the methacholine test just fine, but my PFT results indicate a "mild obstructive deficit" according to the doctor. What response should I accept to hear from NAMI. Everywhere I've read said that as long as you pass the MCCT, you're fine, but the doctor's comment has me concerned.

clorio5

I just took my methacholine challenge test and PFT and they will be sent to NAMI soon. I passed the methacholine test just fine, but my PFT results indicate a "mild obstructive deficit" according to the doctor. What response should I accept to hear from NAMI. Everywhere I've read said that as long as you pass the MCCT, you're fine, but the doctor's comment has me concerned.

Can you comment on the flight physical portion and MCCT at OCS? Is everyone required to take one?

cyrusu

pilot
Can you comment on the flight physical portion and MCCT at OCS? Is everyone required to take one?

So I'm still at OCS, I graduate in a few weeks. During Week 1, you go to medical and get your preliminary flight physical done. That includes vitals, urine, blood, etc. Another day, you'll do anthropomorphic measurements and in-depth sight and hearing tests. From there, anything from MEPs is given to the flight surgeon along with the results from your other tests that day.

He'll call you in and discuss whether you're cleared or not. For me, he said all I have to do is retake the PFT and MCCT. I'm currently in Week 10 and just took those tests. You'll most likely have an appointment off base and you'll spend a couple hours doing the breathing tests. The doctor will typically inform you of the results by the next day and send them back to OCS. From there, it goes up the ladder until it reaches NAMI.

If you listed any sort of breathing condition as a child, you will have to take a PFT and MCCT at some point.