• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Splash one SU-22 (merged threads)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
This caught my eye, "“In 1987 we had the AIM-9P, which was designed to reject flares...". By that time the AIM-9L, which contrary to the lettering was a much more advanced version of the Sidewinder, was in wide service in the USAF and USN.

Also from Manclark:

""I use the AIM-9P because it is out of the system and I can talk about it. The same thing happened to a lot of things that are still in the system and that I can’t talk about.""

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
It's simply where the rubber meets the road. Testing and simulation are great, with all the work the 50# heads put into things, but bang a weapon system on and off a CVN, put it into harms way, and can shit happen.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It's simply where the rubber meets the road. Testing and simulation are great, with all the work the 50# heads put into things, but bang a weapon system on and off a CVN, put it into harms way, and can shit happen.
Also the whole point of doing the testing described in the stupid article is to ensure that the missile has a chance to see enemy IRCM before its a shooting war. This enable the nerds to get the test data and go back to the lab and make changes so the missile will work in the real world. So the testing described against actual enemy hardware wasn't a failure but was instead an important learning point. If I was designing a test for a new missile you'd bet I'd want to see it perform against actual IRCM if it were available.

Which says nothing to the fact that no weapon system has a Pk of 1.0 and even if they did they may not have perfect reliability; motors can have issues, fins can get bent, etc.

RHINOWSO

None
Which says nothing to the fact that no weapon system has a Pk of 1.0 and even if they did they may not have perfect reliability; motors can have issues, fins can get bent, etc.
Agreed.

Theoretically the weapon could still have a Pk of .99 and this was the 0.01 instance - 1 combat shot in this case is not statistically significant.

Embarrassing to the manufacturer of the weapon? Maybe. But 1 single event means nothing by itself, without further investigation of the specifics.

And I say this all without seeing anything or knowing anything about the specific event at hand, other than press reports that a weapon was fired and it reportedly missed the target.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

Nuclear bombs? Pretty sure those are guaranteed to get their target.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Or if you're going against these:
3763872-7663450062-indep.jpg

RHINOWSO

None
Nah, they thought AIM120s would be a good idea against that in Indepenance day 1... :D