• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Splash one SU-22 (merged threads)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone see the second vid of the action? I think it was better view of everything.

Oh, and this:

010.jpg

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Anyone see the second vid of the action? I think it was better view of everything.

Oh, and this:

010.jpg

That's a cool view of what happened just prior to the splash but I think the impact looks cooler in color.

And yes, very appropriate ATO.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None

Treetop Flyer

pilot

RHINOWSO

None
A Silver Star is pretty much standard in Naval Aviation for a 'kill'. The VF-32 Gypsy's got DFCs in '89, as some thought they shouldn't have waxed the MIG-23s, or so the story goes... plus it wasn't a very pretty engagement.

fa-18e-vfa-87-golden-warriors-tc-264.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A Silver Star is pretty much standard in Naval Aviation for a 'kill'. The VF-32 Gypsy's got DFCs in '89, as some thought they shouldn't have waxed the MIG-23s, or so the story goes... plus it wasn't a very pretty engagement.
And this is where I edit my post . . . for some reason, I thought the DFC was above the Silver Star and below the Navy Cross. I was very confused until I Googled.

RHINOWSO

None
Almost gotcha, was gonna point you to the awards manual / order of precedence. ;)

RHINOWSO

None
In the past they have also given DFC for shootdowns of non-fighter type aircraft sometimes.

I can recall an instance in the Vietnam war were some F-4 shot down some AN-2 Colts in a relatively benign night overwater intercept and got DFCs instead of Silver Stars.

It isn't written down, it's just kind of the way it has gone.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

fa-18e-vfa-87-golden-warriors-tc-264.jpg
Seriously? From the ground perspective I had to shoot at a lot more than some scabby Syrian just to get considered for Bronze!