• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spin Training

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. I am working on my PPL right now and my instructor has never even mentioned this to me. I don't think he's a bad instructor for it...it's not part of the training.

Should be though, good stuff to know;)

It's your money- have him train you, or find someone who will.

GaugeNeeded

Carolina MAGTF
You think I'm reckless? Nobody gives out bad rep on honest disagreements. I've never had a bad rep given so don't be worried about it. You only get bad rep around here for being a total idiot.

You did steal my avatar though.:icon_wink

It was a joke Devil. RELAX. I just wanted folks to know who was saying what. That is fair. And no I did not steal your avatar. Some of the folks here in the MEF were passing it through e-mail a couple of days ago. I thought it was funny so I changed my previous pic to this one. I had never even heard of you.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I think the horse is already dead here but I saw that a few people referenced the FAA's P.A.R.E. recovery but nobody mentioned the Mueller/Beggs method which is essentially the hands-off recovery. On a side note I was spinning a CAP-10 on Saturday and reminded that flying is pretty much the coolest thing ever :icon_smil!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It's an FAR violation to spin train outside of the pursuit of a CFI, without parachutes, and in an a/c meant for it.

I didn't realize that and don't have my FAR/AIM available right now... Disregard my suggestion if that is the case.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I had a similar learning experience as the original poster. I was practicing power off stalls with my instructor early on in my PPL training. I set the a/c up for the procedure, and for some reason or another (can't remember) the aircraft began a slight roll to the left just prior to the stall. I was a moron, and inputed quite a bit of right aileron to correct, right as the aircraft was stalling. This obviously stalled one wing more than the other, and scared the living piss out of me. It was in a 172, which we all know is a very difficult aircraft to spin, but my instructor told me that without realizing it I initiated a textbook spin entry. Had it been a different a/c, it probably could have been a full on spin. If I was soloing, that would have been a bad day. I would definitely like some hands on spin training. I think I'll wait for uncle sam to fit the bill for it though.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I had a similar learning experience as the original poster. I was practicing power off stalls with my instructor early on in my PPL training. I set the a/c up for the procedure, and for some reason or another (can't remember) the aircraft began a slight roll to the left just prior to the stall. I was a moron, and inputed quite a bit of right aileron to correct, right as the aircraft was stalling. This obviously stalled one wing more than the other, and scared the living piss out of me. It was in a 172, which we all know is a very difficult aircraft to spin, but my instructor told me that without realizing it I initiated a textbook spin entry. Had it been a different a/c, it probably could have been a full on spin. If I was soloing, that would have been a bad day. I would definitely like some hands on spin training. I think I'll wait for uncle sam to fit the bill for it though.

Again, not a spin. Your instructor is dumb. I've probably spun a 172 200 times, and the only way to really get a good spin is to zoom climb it to about 30-40 degree's nose up, pull the power back to about 1800, and at about 45 knots slam full right rudder and full aft stick, and hold. When the spin develops, idle the power and enjoy. Recover with rudder first, holding fill aft stick. When the rotation stops, go full forward, stick, get about 130 knots, pull back (with power off) and now do it to the left, with power off. You'll never spin to the left against the rotation of the prop with any power.

You can also throw a roll of toilet paper out the window just for fun.