• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spice

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't shake your baby, while using bath salts. Two-fer.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If you are going to put it on your travel claim, you'll need an itemized receipt showing "zero balance."

Here is the important part: if you get a hand-written receipt instead of a nice, official-looking one that came from a printer, then Admin will usually kick it back... unless you get it notarized. If that happens, then your CO would be happy to notarize any receipts from your drug pusher- just walk right in and ask him/her.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AMEX Platinum will cover up to $200 per year in bath salts if you designate a head shop/shady mini mart of choice when you sign up.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
zab 1001, has the guy in your avatar been using the bath salts? Kind of looks like it from here.

Renegade One

None
Lot of jocularity here about a perceived "weak" PSA aimed at your Sailors and Marines.

How would YOU deal with the problem…since, I think you'll agree…it kinda, sorta IS your problem? No one ingesting this stuff is packing the chutes or CDIing the seats on a jet I'm going to man.

phrogpilot73

How would YOU deal with the problem
Leadership.

Something that seems to be seriously lacking in our senior leaders, because they continue to spend money on something tangible to say they've "done something" about a problem. Them "doing something" gets them promoted, and there's still the 10%... You know, I'm sure they were around when you were still on active duty - the ones you spend 90% of your time on? You can't fix stupid, but you can throw money at it, make a PSA, and have a fitrep bullet.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We already have a zero tolerance policy for drugs, with regularly scheduled, random urinalysis that screen for everything (I've been told) from steroid use to spice to coke. There is also a zero tolerance policy for any paraphernalia.

Getting caught with this in the barracks earns you a quick trip to an ADSEP board that will get you out of the Navy faster than you can blink. You pop, you're gone.

Is there any more "intrusive leadership" (aka mothering the shit out of grown ass men) we could be doing? Probably...I guess we could make everyone live on base and secure liberty indefinitely, but I have a feeling the Navy would get a lot smaller pretty damn quick. Also, that would be full blown retard stupid. I'm sure someone will try it in the next few weeks.

You can't stop stupid 100% of the time...you can only hammer the living shit out of the dumb asses when they fuck up.

Renegade One

None
Okay, Phrog…I'll credit you for (1) leadership in the past, and (2) probably continued leadership in both of your current lives, both DONCIV and Reserve. How are YOU handling the problem?

Just too easy to throw the buck "upstairs" and mock best intended efforts. A campaign against spice/bath salts or (fill in the blank) is, I contend, a multi-faceted effort…more like a mirrored disco-ball than one more "DBPPT" session from "The Command Triad". You feel differently…and you may be right. I'm listening. Seriously.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
While I believe knife hands have their place in a leaders toolbox, expecting people to do their jobs, keeping a clear view of the big picture, and again, hammering the living shit out of the big time fuck ups goes a long way to keeping this kind of behavior from becoming a problem.

We do not have the drug problem of the 70s and 80s; a positive whiz quiz is a genuinely rare thing in the commands I've had the privilege to be a part of.

What we are doing on the drug front is working; hiring the right people and treating them like adults with adult consequences for bad behavior. It goes a long way.

I made it clear to the guys in my shop, when I had one, that I could not tolerate three things: liars, thieves, and someone working on my plane when they weren't fit for duty. Anyone caught doing those would have my full recommendation to be dealt with as harshly as the Skipper could. I never had any instances with any of my big three. I was lucky to have shit hot sailors, a solid Chief who knew what was important and what was not, and no haziness on my expectations.

The day to day standards I expected my Chief to take care of, and I offered course corrections and guidance on the exceedingly rare occasions where I didn't think they were being met.

On the few dets I've had the privilege to lead, the first thing I mentioned in any det brief/last minute liberty mini-quarters/conversations prior to heading out with the gents, was behavioral expectations. Taking a det to NV, it was absolutely clear to all hands that if you broke the one rule, that while legal in the state, was against the UCMJ, I would not hesitate to take your ass to mast faster than you can blink.

Regardless of how I personally feel on the rights/wrongs of prostitution and whether or not two people should be allowed to enter into a consensual agreement to exchange money for sex, I was prepared to enforce the UCMJ to its fullest extent if it was broken.

I haven't had any of the kinds of issues on any of my dets, and being trusted with the chance to go on the road with 20 or more people and a plane, and make mistakes and learn from them while knocking out missions was one of the greatest privileges I've had in my JO tour.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
schoolbubba: Same question for you I asked of phrog above.

Unless you want "more knife hands" as your official answer.

It seems like both answered your question. Educate them on the fact that is a) illegal and b) detectable, then hold them accountable...all elements of being a leader. You do all of this by talking to them face to face, and not just by showing them weakly produced videos.

Save the videos for telling me about state capitals or secret squirrel Air Force weather/frogmen launching big red balloons from their secret squirrel positions behind enemy lines.