• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spekkio wants his weed...

Clux4

Banned
Here is another issue. What would be the legal age for Marijuana consumption - 18, 21 or free for all?

I can already see it. Underage alcohol parties coupled with Marijuana(brownies laced with weed). Pretty bad combo if you ask me.

I just do not think it will happen. Not in our culture.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I can already see it. Underage alcohol parties coupled with Marijuana(brownies laced with weed). Pretty bad combo if you ask me.
I'm glad you can "see it already," because it's been happening for decades. According to the link I posted a while back, over 50% of the current population in their early 20s has tried marijuana.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'm glad you can "see it already," because it's been happening for decades. According to the link I posted a while back, over 50% of the current population in their early 20s has tried marijuana.

That doesn't mean it needs to be legalized because it's highly unlikely that a large percentage of those who tried it are still doing it on a regular basis or even at all.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
That doesn't mean it needs to be legalized because it's highly unlikely that a large percentage of those who tried it are still doing it on a regular basis or even at all.
You totally missed the context. My statement was in reply to the post above mine which implied that marijuana use and underage drinking does not already occur together, but would once marijuana is legalized for a certain age group.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I think unless someone comes up with a 4 million-point plan on the new way to slice this piece of bread, nothing will change. Theres so many "problems" with it today, and while changing the ways and laws might solve some of those problems, they open up new ones. At least with the current laws and war on drugs we know what we're dealing with. I think any changes would cause some nasty results in the first few years. My personal view is to still keep it illegal. But thats just my opinion since I never touched the stuff nor have any desire to. I just dont want it around me, but if thats your thing, rock out brotha

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Here is another issue. What would be the legal age for Marijuana consumption - 18, 21 or free for all?

I just do not think it will happen. Not in our culture.

18, just like the drinking age should be. Old enough to vote, old enough to toke. Old enough to serve, old enough to be served.

I tend to think that if we legalized some of the milder drugs, abuse of the harder ones might be less widespread. After all, if you're already going to break the law, some think "in for a dime, in for a dollar."

You could, after all, tax the stuff. There will be evasion, just as there is now for cigarettes, but by and large it would be a huge savings, especially after you stop blowing money on enforcement and interdiction.

You'd stop seeing people die from adulterants in their drugs.

Most of all, you'd stop seeing dealers getting in gunbattles on city streets over territory.

As far as increasing use, how many of you would really start smoking, sniffing, or shooting up just because the penalties were gone? Now, why is everyone else different?

Redux

18, just like the drinking age should be. Old enough to vote, old enough to toke. Old enough to serve, old enough to be served.

You're right on all the above with the exception of the vote. Kids are too easily influenced and unaware of long term consequences. This was just witnessed.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You're right on all the above with the exception of the vote. Kids are too easily influenced and unaware of long term consequences. This was just witnessed.
The vast majority of eligible voters are completely clueless regarding political issues.

Redux

Nor has he denied it either, I believe he refuses to comment on it at all. Not saying that is right or wrong, it is just the way he has addressed it.

I never denied taking it up the ass, you? Has he ever been confronted with it or charged? Me never saying I was or wasn't on the moon means a admission of possible guilt? :confused:

HueyCobra8151

pilot
There are a lot of places in the United States where weed is already, for all practical purposes, legalized unless you possess large quantities. In Portland and I believe Seattle if you are under a certain amount on your possession (no clue what that amount is) they just take it away from you. In other words, they use weight to differentiate between users and dealers and only really penalize dealers.

If we took the drug offenders out of jails and court systems, we could use those for actual crimes that involve victims. Imagine people who steal your crap getting locked up for a substantial amount of time - that would make me happy. Also we would save money on jails, maybe we could put that money into schools or something...

Supposing that pot was legal though:

-Sales would be more easily regulated. As it stands now, it is easier for kids to get pot than alcohol...so guess which one they get?

-DUI could still remain in effect. If you are driving erratically and they test positive for THC in your urine, then you would be considered to be driving under the influence, whether you smoked a joint 10 minutes ago or 10 days ago.

-The military would still set their own policies for it. And really, this applies to all businesses. Places of employment would STILL probably use urinalysis. It would wind up being like other things that are practically legal, but kept in check by the free market and the users need to be able to hold a job.

-The government could still tax marijuana sold in stores. Some people could/would grow it on their own, but the majority of people probably aren't that dedicated to their drugs, they would just buy it at the store.

The US Govt would save money on many different levels: War on Drugs, Jails, Courts, Tax Revenue generated, etc...

<- I'm not a pothead, I am just a libertarian. I am also in favor of allowing people to smoke cigarettes in public (the horrors) and I am also in favor of letting people have whatever guns they want to have.

red_ryder

None
Also Denver.

And I agree that it would be far easier on our country to legalize marijuana, if nothing else, but you also can't deny that we in the military MUST abstain.

Marijuana absolutely destroys your focus and attention to detail, and to a lesser extent for days afterwards. These are critical traits to us, especially in aviation, and from nothing but a practical standpoint, it cannot be allowed.

But you can get a waiver if you *used* to do it...so it's not like they're banning people who experimented.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
One thing that always bugs me about the "War on Drugs" is why did it take a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol but not marijuana?