• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spatial Apperception

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Hello,

I have been a member on Airwarriors for a little while now. I have read up on the ASTB forums and there is some awesome gouge out there. This site is amazing! I need help with the Spatial Apperception though. I have the Cliffnotes Military Aviation study guide to study the apperception but it does not make any sense. At one point they show the same image of perception in two consecutive questions and then say that the degree of pitch and bank differ. After that I just needed to write in and ask. Is there any other good gouge out there for this section?

Background info:

Prior enlisted for 5 years
2.5 years in VF-103 Jolly Rogers, worked TARPS and LANTIRN
graduate after this semester 3.5 GPA photography

I guess that's the info most people put up here.

BigRed389

None
Make it systematic. You won't have a lot of time so you wanna be able to knock it out.

Heading Relative to Coastline, Pitch, Bank.

Other than that one error the book's answers are accurate. Just know that on the actual test you'll have more than one angle of bank, and the plane will look a little different. But it's definitely doable.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
Practice, practice, practice. That's what I did when I took the ASTB. When you think you have it down, think of how they may draw the picture to screw with you, and do some that way.
But it's like BigRed said.. Coastline, Pitch, Bank.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
the cliffs book sucks, go with the arco 7th edition. I have both and took version 4 and the arco is similar and doesnt have errors like the cliffs.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
What helped me out a ton was I used my pencil to make a horizon in the center of the picture, both horizontally and vertically. I got all 7s so you might want to give that a shot.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Irony: Photographer hates the spacial perception section.

Haha.

But seriously, just work out a scheme. Figure out whether you're going out to sea or towards land first, then climbing/descending/maintaining second, and finally the bank-left or right and degree. Get to the point where you can do one question every 10 seconds and you'll be golden. I don't believe I missed any on that portion. And keep in mind that the actual test is much harder than any of the practice questions, so get to the point where the practice questions are a breeze.

thenuge

Haha.

But seriously, just work out a scheme. Figure out whether you're going out to sea or towards land first, then climbing/descending/maintaining second, and finally the bank-left or right and degree. Get to the point where you can do one question every 10 seconds and you'll be golden.

sounds good, I'll take your advice.

thenuge

Cool, thanks.

is that gouge part of the marine test prep? I downloaded the marine prep from the columbia.edu link but this part was not in that download. Anyway, this is good info. Thanks

todd740

Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!!!
pilot
The first time I saw those damn things was on the test itself. It wasnt in the Gouge we had at our unit.

thenuge

I thought these were way easier to decipher than the ones in the Cliffnotes.

rcastor426

damn tweaks!!!!!! i was airframes in VF-11 for 4 years. i personally did not like the cliff notes book. the arco book was much better.

Bird_Dog322

billthrill1 said:
Keep in mind that the actual test's spatial app questions are brutal compared to the test prep. I do not know why the test prep does this. Be prepared to see planes diving, banking, climbing, zippin' around at every last angle you'd ever be able to imagine. Sometimes you can see about 0.5 inches of land in the picture. The lines are never parallel, the pictures are fuzzy, etc.

Basically, it's a ***** on the test. But you can still figure it out using the aforementioned formula.

Right on with this one.

The spat. app. questions on the test totally screwed me up. My brain was used to the ARCO pictures. The varying angles and such is what did it.

@ purduenavy: I like the pencil technique. I'll give it a shot.