• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space program

phrogpilot73

It depends on the airframe (and therefore the amount of over-torque). For the -60, it's not a good day. You'll have to pull the tranny out, which is not a small or cheap evolution. But to actually get to that point, you have to pull a lot. It's actually easy to do with the newer airframes.
In the Phrog, remove and replace both transmissions, inspect the drive system and go. Transmissions have to go to depot to be reworked. It's bad enough that when one in our squadron was over torqued, they sold it for scrap and transferred an aircraft from 764 on the west coast. Because it was cheaper.

Chris94

CWO selected
In the last 3 NASA classes, we've actually had a fairly even split of civilian to military. However, the key is that is just general military - the days of it being exclusively reserved for pilots are long gone. In the last few classes, we've had a Nuke and a SEAL for example. And in only a few classes earlier, we've had a diver as well. I believe an oceanographer too.

Big thing people need to remember is that it costs a lot of money per pound to send up into LEO, and so if you want to send a human up, you need to be a damn good bang for the buck deal -- which often means that you've got a big brain in some field that NASA wants to have for experiments or whatever else is on their plate (and hence why if you don't have at the very least a degree from engineering/science/some other heavy technical field.... good luck)
So they're essentially looking for a PhD in a field that benefits the organization. Yeah?

MasterBates

Well, now that Diversity is a top priority at NASA, I suppose if you are a female, jewish, half black, half asian lesbian, you may be able to get into orbit with any PhD.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Well at least we know what NASA is doing with their time these days.

Remember that time we put man on the moon? <sigh>

flyhigher1987

You'd still do fine and know more than me. Like with MATLAB I spend most of my time shaking my head about how excited I was just to get a spreadsheet to use my sophomore year when I was an engineering undergrad.

<------ Old.
I'm doing my Chemical engineering senior design project and have MATLAB open right now. SO basically I'm in hell haha.