• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Force Officer Relieved After Denouncing CRT/Marxism

Pags

N/A
pilot
Agreed. I'll, add, though, that it is not always civilian leaders that are dictating these things. I find it very hard to believe that anyone forced the CNO to put objectively anti-American works on his reading list. Likewise, the JODO program I mentioned before was created by CNRC. These are active duty officers using their positions to further partisan objectives on their own account, nothing more. The fact that the current party in power doesn't stop them is irrelevant, except that they should be stopping any officer from bringing such divisive and partisan politics into the military realm.
Are you sure this is the case? Is it possible that it traces from higher level instruction?

Do you know how books are picked/screened for the CNO's list? Have you read the book? Sometimes books end up in lists because they're challenging to our preconceived notions and help with growth as a leader.

Does CNRC have a diversity quota (derived from higher level civilian guidance) that some poor guy is just trying to hit as part of his job? If so, who better to help with that goal?

I don't think individual flags and commands have the level of independence that you imagine.

Mirage

pilot
Are you sure this is the case? Is it possible that it traces from higher level instruction?

Do you know how books are picked/screened for the CNO's list? Have you read the book? Sometimes books end up in lists because they're challenging to our preconceived notions and help with growth as a leader.

Does CNRC have a diversity quota (derived from higher level civilian guidance) that some poor guy is just trying to hit as part of his job? If so, who better to help with that goal?

I don't think individual flags and commands have the level of independence that you imagine.
One of the books, "How to Be and Antiracist", which is on the "foundational" list for sailors to read, contains the following quotes:
"Capitalism is essentially racist."
"Racism is essentially capitalist."
"The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."
"There is no such thing as a not-racist idea," only "racist ideas and antiracist ideas."

It's possible that this book ended up on the reading list because someone twisted the CNO's arm. But why then is it not on the other branches reading lists? The CNO responded to the Senators RFI by saying he included the book because "it evokes the author's own personal journey in understanding barriers to true inclusion, the deep nuances of racism and racial inequalities." Apparently the deep nuances of racism sailors are supposed to learn is that our entire financial system is inherently racist, and racism only exists in capitalist societies (ie, not in communist ones). We're all racists and the Chinese, who literally are guilty of genocide, are not. Oh, and discrimination is cool as long as it's against White people, because 2 wrongs make a right. And if you disagree with the left, who are antiracist, then the only conclusion is that you're a racist.

I'm sure the timing of this with coinciding with the very partisan debates on CRT and Trump leaving office are pure coincidence.

Pags

N/A
pilot
One of the books, "How to Be and Antiracist", which is on the "foundational" list for sailors to read, contains the following quotes:
"The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."
"There is no such thing as a not-racist idea," only "racist ideas and antiracist ideas."

It's possible that this book ended up on the reading list because someone twisted the CNO's arm. But why then is it not on the other branches reading lists? The CNO responded to the Senators RFI by saying he included the book because "it evokes the author's own personal journey in understanding barriers to true inclusion, the deep nuances of racism and racial inequalities." Apparently the deep nuances of racism sailors are supposed to learn is that our entire financial system is inherently racist, and racism only exists in capitalist societies (ie, not in communist ones). We're all racists and the Chinese, who literally are guilty of genocide, are not. Oh, and discrimination is cool as long as it's against White people, because 2 wrongs make a right. And if you disagree with the left, who are antiracist, then the only conclusion is that you're a racist.

I'm sure the timing of this with coinciding with the very partisan debates on CRT and Trump leaving office are pure coincidence.
Have you read any of the book you're discussing and are these your opinions on the book?

I don't know how books end up in there. It's quite possible that CNO read it and put it on their because it's a book that is central to a lot of current discussion on race in this country. Perhaps he or his team thinks that it provides insight into one of the perspectives that are at play and that it's one that's important to understand. Or, put another way, it's no their to brainwash you, it's there to make you think and expand your bubble.

I was involved in a development program at work and part of that program was to go to a diversity event. Which is something I never would have done on my own and I frankly grumbled about the requirement. So I signed up for one thinking I was going to go, check a box, and have a cup of free coffee. The speaker was the author of a book on the Great Migration. As a guy who fancies himself pretty well read on US history I was floored that this seminal event to a large portion of the American population was something I knew NOTHING about (or associated topics like sundown towns). But there were plenty of people in the audience that this was something that their parents and grandparents had lived through and was part of their personal history. I ended up on the edge of my seat the entire talk and was blown away. I left with an appreciation for a.different perspective on America and with a new understanding of the perspectives of some of my coworkers. I also realized that maybe the folks who made the curriculum knew what they were doing.

So maybe the CNO and his team have a goal in mind that is more geared towards developing Sailors and Officers and not brainwashing their people. Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt ?

Treetop Flyer

pilot

RoarkJr.

This should be deeply concerning to everyone. CRT replaces the economic paradigm in Marxism with a racial one. These ideas are inherently anti-American. Why don’t more speak out? Some say it’s because the true radicals are just a loud minority. But when this stuff creeps its way into institutions of higher learning, and then upper echelons of military leadership, that argument no longer holds weight.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This should be deeply concerning to everyone. CRT replaces the economic paradigm in Marxism with a racial one. These ideas are inherently anti-American. Why don’t more speak out? Some say it’s because the true radicals are just a loud minority. But when this stuff creeps its way into institutions of higher learning, and then upper echelons of military leadership, that argument no longer holds weight.
Have you read the book and is this your opinion?

Patton read Rommel's book.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Have you read any of the book you're discussing and are these your opinions on the book?

I don't know how books end up in there. It's quite possible that CNO read it and put it on their because it's a book that is central to a lot of current discussion on race in this country. Perhaps he or his team thinks that it provides insight into one of the perspectives that are at play and that it's one that's important to understand. Or, put another way, it's no their to brainwash you, it's there to make you think and expand your bubble.

I was involved in a development program at work and part of that program was to go to a diversity event. Which is something I never would have done on my own and I frankly grumbled about the requirement. So I signed up for one thinking I was going to go, check a box, and have a cup of free coffee. The speaker was the author of a book on the Great Migration. As a guy who fancies himself pretty well read on US history I was floored that this seminal event to a large portion of the American population was something I knew NOTHING about (or associated topics like sundown towns). But there were plenty of people in the audience that this was something that their parents and grandparents had lived through and was part of their personal history. I ended up on the edge of my seat the entire talk and was blown away. I left with an appreciation for a.different perspective on America and with a new understanding of the perspectives of some of my coworkers. I also realized that maybe the folks who made the curriculum knew what they were doing.

So maybe the CNO and his team have a goal in mind that is more geared towards developing Sailors and Officers and not brainwashing their people. Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt ?

I appreciate what you shared, but I do think you’re talking about something different. I do think it’s valuable to step outside your comfort zone, see perspectives that you don’t normally see in your homogenous group, and have uncomfortable conversations. I also can find similar value from reading books along the same premise.

That is not the point of Mirage’s post. Attending a diversity event is different than having a reading list with books that are antithetical to American values, are legitimately divisive, promote the reinvention of our society, and many more toxic ideas. I haven’t read that, but I have read White Fragility. If they are anything similar, then Mirage’s summary is not hyperbolic.

Mirage

pilot

I've read 3 book reviews on the book, 2 who hated it and 1 who thought it was amazing. Haven't read the book, but have a good knowledge of his points of view and the key arguments. Not about to give him my money by buying it, and it's checked out on the MWR digital library.

Have you read it? Do you believe I'm missing something?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've read 3 book reviews on the book, 2 who hated it and 1 who thought it was amazing. Haven't read the book, but have a good knowledge of his points of view and the key arguments. Not about to give him my money by buying it, and it's checked out on the MWR digital library.

Have you read it? Do you believe I'm missing something?
I haven't read it. But I think the point of the reading list is to expose people to challenging books that allow the reader to develop their own opinion on the matter as opposed to allowing others to tell them what/how to think. Critical thought and what not.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come now. These days, for several years now actually, you are hard pressed to find what is labeled a diversity initiative that doesn't cross over into partisan politics. The end state of what is downplayed as diversity initiatives IS political change. That is just where we have arrived.
Just because you don’t like it doesn’t make it partisan. This stuff has been around for decades, through Dem and GOP admins. There’s a difference between political (read controversial), and partisan.

At any rate, I’m not sure how getting the military to be more representative of the country’s demographic makeup has to be political.

RoarkJr.

Have you read the book and is this your opinion?

Patton read Rommel's book.
I haven’t, but I’ve been in the debate sphere of CRT/Marxism/Post-Modernism etc. for quite a few years now.

This stuff runs waaay deeper than a book just happening to be on a reading list.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I haven’t, but I’ve been in the debate sphere of CRT/Marxism/Post-Modernism etc. for quite a few years now.

This stuff runs waaay deeper than a book just happening to be on a reading list.
What does this even mean? If you're purporting to be a serious professional on one side of this debate how do you have an opinion on a book you've never read?