• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Force Officer Relieved After Denouncing CRT/Marxism

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Was him espousing his views on the podcast “partisan”? Need a sea lawyer on this one.
I was a squadron XO during the 2016 presidential campaign. About once each week, one of the Sailors in the command would ask me what I thought about DJT, or Clinton, etc. I used that as a springboard to talk about the virtues of our democratic system of government, and how our pluralistic nature makes our nation strong and resilient. Never once did I reveal my own personal political leanings, or comment negatively or favorably about either candidate in any way. That is what our profession expects of us.

Mirage

pilot
While he shouldn't be at all surprised to get fired, what's a patriot supposed to do when put in his shoes? It's ok to have partisan views that you push on others if you're a flag and you sign an instruction, especially if those views are on the safe side of cancel culture, but not if you're anyone else. It's bullshit, and nothing he said is wrong.

Pags

N/A
pilot
While he shouldn't be at all surprised to get fired, what's a patriot supposed to do when put in his shoes? It's ok to have partisan views that you push on others if you're a flag and you sign an instruction, especially if those views are on the safe side of cancel culture, but not if you're anyone else. It's bullshit, and nothing he said is wrong.
Flags don't have partisan views in their instructions; they write instructions to implement the policies directed by Civilian Leadership.

Military Officers, regardless of their political stance, are expected to uphold the policy as set by civilian leadership. And in their professional capacity they're expected to remain apolitical. An O5 writing a book that says he disagrees with SECDEF and POTUS's policies is going to find himself in hot water.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This provides a bit more detail about the situation than the examiner article. https://www.military.com/daily-news...-over-comments-decrying-marxism-military.html

So he published a book about DoD policies without submitting it for review, AND he's going on a roadshow to promote said book? While on Title10 orders, and using his LtCol and command billet status to further his cause? Yeah, he should have known what was coming next.

This doesn't have anything to do with Patriotism, it has everything to do with the conduct of an officer in a command billet, on title 10 orders.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Care to elaborate? Which flag and instruction are you referring to?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
No one on this site could actually take one side or the other without reading the book or listening to the podcast. Perception matters in a command billet and that is likely the reason why he was removed. I am usually a fan of conducting an investigation and then taking action, but I am assuming there was probably already significant enough evidence to warrant the action. They probably already conducted an inquiry and his superior to took the latter course. I am sure his legal counsel and potential UCMJ hearings will reveal whether or not there is any significant violations. If the service is wrong in this instance - there is likely to be blowback and could potentially give him a bigger platform.

It's the Air Force though....so who knows...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
No one on this site could actually take one side or the other without reading the book or listening to the podcast. Perception matters in a command billet and that is likely the reason why he was removed. I am usually a fan of conducting an investigation and then taking action, but I am assuming there was probably already significant enough evidence to warrant the action. They probably already conducted an inquiry and his superior to took the latter course. I am sure his legal counsel and potential UCMJ hearings will reveal whether or not there is any significant violations. If the service is wrong in this instance - there is likely to be blowback and could potentially give him a bigger platform.

It's the Air Force though....so who knows...
I concur with what @Hotdogs wrote, but it wasn’t wise to aim an off-handed shot at the SecDef.

RoarkJr.

At what point, if appropriate, does a senior officer initiate speaking out against ideologies that he or she believes are compromising the integrity of the very institution he or she serves? What if the ideology is antithetical to the very ideals that the officer has sworn to protect from “all enemies; foreign and domestic?”

I doubt the answer would or should be “never.” But that seems like a Constitutional hierarchy thing, where I believe the answer would be to resign, though I’d have to look that over again.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
At what point, if appropriate, does a senior officer initiate speaking out against ideologies that he or she believes are compromising the integrity of the very institution he or she serves? What if the ideology is antithetical to the very ideals that the officer has sworn to protect from “all enemies; foreign and domestic?”

I doubt the answer would or should be “never.” But that seems like a Constitutional hierarchy thing, where I believe the answer would be to resign, though I’d have to look that over again.
It has happened before...depends on the ox is being gored.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

If we’re talking about an O5 commander making a very public statement, then denigrating SecDef, then yes, the answer is never. If he has legitimate concerns, work them through leadership channels. If that doesn’t resonate, then resign if it’s that important.

Let’s also not discount the possibility that this guy is a crackpot. Just because you have strongly held beliefs, doesn’t mean you’re not an insane person on a crusade. His entire premise is absurd.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
This screams viral marketing for a book that otherwise would probably have been quickly forgotten. My guess is this guy is angling to start his own podcast/coffee/shirt business or break into the commentary sphere with a pension to backstop it.