• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sounds like change is coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peachesnel

Have they said if they would limit duties based upon orientation? I mean, if females can't serve on subs I don't see how they could be stopped from limiting homosexual areas of work.

Females can't serve on subs because of logistics/space issues- not because they can't go on deployment without doing half the crew. Gay males really wouldn't have the same issues that women do.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Females can't serve on subs because of logistics/space issues- not because they can't go on deployment without doing half the crew. Gay males really wouldn't have the same issues that women do.

That logic is no longer valid, though, if gays are allowed to serve openly. There should be no issues, because women and men should be able to berth together.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Men don't get periods.

Aside from that, it's unlikely that the straight majority is going to sexually harass/molest the gay minority while in the bathroom. However, it becomes much more likely that the male majority would take advantage of the female minority in such a situation. There's also the physical issue that the average woman probably can't take on the average man.

So yes, the logic is still valid.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
So you are saying the average gay man is capable of controlling himsef around members of the sex he is attracted to while the average heterosexual man is not?

When will the false stereotypes and this vicious heterophobia finally come to and end? Maybe 2010 will be the year of enlightenment...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Men don't get periods.
There is enough storage space on subs for tampons and pads.

Aside from that, it's unlikely that the straight majority is going to sexually harass/molest the gay minority while in the bathroom. However, it becomes much more likely that the male majority would take advantage of the female minority in such a situation. There's also the physical issue that the average woman probably can't take on the average man.
Spoken like a future rapist......you may not be able to control yourself around women but the vast majority of men can.

Get some actual experience other than OCS and training, then tell the people that actually have some experience what logic applies.

Why does it not surprise me a future submariner is an advocate for gays? Sorry Spekkio, from what I understand, they don't let officers be the boats's bitch.....

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is enough storage space on subs for tampons and pads.
Think disposal.

Spoken like a future rapist......you may not be able to control yourself around women but the vast majority of men can.
So why don't we integrate changing rooms at the gym? Why not integrate bathrooms at every public venue? I mean, gay guys can use those facilities, so where's the logic?

I don't see what being out to sea has to do with being able to see that a woman surrounded by a bunch of straight guys vs. a gay guy surrounded by a bunch of straight guys is two entirely different scenarios.

Why does it not surprise me a future submariner is an advocate for gays?
I guess we're just a little more forward thinking :).

So you are saying the average gay man is capable of controlling himsef around members of the sex he is attracted to while the average heterosexual man is not?
No, what I'm saying is put a ton of naked men around one or a very few naked women, and the laws of probability are going to lend themselves to something bad happening. Put one or a few gay men around a bunch of straight men, and it's more likely the gay guy would have to deal with harassment from the straight guys vs. the straight guys have to worry about being molested.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
So why don't we integrate changing rooms at the gym? Why not integrate bathrooms at every public venue? I mean, gay guys can use those facilities, so where's the logic?

Uhhh...no they can't...not in the military, which is what we are discussing. You can't use the civilian world as an example, because the civilian world cannot force people to cohabitate, like the military can.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Uhhh...no they can't...not in the military, which is what we are discussing. You can't use the civilian world as an example, because the civilian world cannot force people to cohabitate, like the military can.
They can't? I lived in a co-ed dorm in college. While more spacious than your average ship, people were still co-habitating.

I suppose I had the option to not go to college, but you also have the option not to join the military.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Spekkio - you and the nuke world deserve each other - and the rest of the Navy is rejoicing you found each other.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Funny I went to college and was never forced to room with a gay man...or anyone for that matter. My Commanding Officer never ordered me into a specific living condition.

lmnop

Men don't get periods.

Seriously? I've been on a few submarine U/W periods that included embarked military and civilian females. I've done sub deployments that definitely included gay guys. In neither case were there issues of anybody trying to molest anybody else in the bathroom or anywhere else. The scenario you describe is just as applicable on co-ed ships, but the Navy has been doing that for quite awhile so I don't see the validity of the argument.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
lmnop, can you update your profile a bit? I was anticipating learning about another bubblehead infiltrating the ranks of Air Warriors :D, only to find your profile void of any pertinent info :(

lmnop

lmnop, can you update your profile a bit? I was anticipating learning about another bubblehead infiltrating the ranks of Air Warriors :D, only to find your profile void of any pertinent info :(
Not a bubblehead here, just a rider. Hardly worthy of mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.