• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Something about him always rubbed me the wrong way...

Flugelman

Contributor
"• Spending $325,000 to purchase an antique airplane model that hangs in the front entrance to Dahlgren Hall."

Holy Crap!!!

Where is Citation3 when you need him???:eek:

jtmedli

pilot
Damn near $4 million on recruiting videos? Is the Academy hurting for good applicants or something? That seems a bit much.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Damn near $4 million on recruiting videos? Is the Academy hurting for good applicants or something? That seems a bit much.

I'll let the video speak for itself. Here it is:

I can't find the one it replaced, but it had a very early 90's feel to it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'll let the video speak for itself. Here it is:

I can't find the one it replaced, but it had a very early 90's feel to it.

Wow... I didn't think I could be more glad NOT to be a boat school Alumni... But after wasting a minute of my life on that garbage...

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
In looking for places to hack out support infrastructure... Center for Naval Analysis study shows USNA is a bad investment, that OCS and NROTC product is just as good for drastically less cost... Time to cut this underperforming, morally stalling establishment? Don't let paternalism fog the issue. Lets start with a 50% drop in ascessions next year, cut support staff, make up the manpower differential with OCS when the time comes 4 years down the line. Working out what to do with the buildings is difficult, prime real estate though, sure we could sell it. "Everything is on the plate".

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In looking for places to hack out support infrastructure... Center for Naval Analysis study shows USNA is a bad investment, that OCS and NROTC product is just as good for drastically less cost... Time to cut this underperforming, morally stalling establishment? Don't let paternalism fog the issue. Lets start with a 50% drop in ascessions next year, cut support staff, make up the manpower differential with OCS when the time comes 4 years down the line. Working out what to do with the buildings is difficult, prime real estate though, sure we could sell it. "Everything is on the plate".

The thing is, if the Academy stuck to the heart of it's mission statement I would think the value would be significantly greater. That said, with the drive to lower standards even if unofficially so, I can definitely see the merit of your point.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
"• Spending $325,000 to purchase an antique airplane model that hangs in the front entrance to Dahlgren Hall."

Must be some model. . .I'd like to see a picture at least.

All we had was that white plane hanging from the ceiling on loan from the Smithsonian

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Must be some model. . .I'd like to see a picture at least.

All we had was that white plane hanging from the ceiling on loan from the Smithsonian

I'll take a picture in the next few days. It's a wind-tunnel tested exact replica of the Navy's first aircraft from the Wright Brothers, the Navy B-1.

Also, I stand corrected, there is also a 10 minute or so video at Admissions that I guess was part of that $3.7M investment.

However, I would like to point out, and this is JUST for the Navy, not Marines as the two services do vary, but Naval Academy graduates are more inclined to stay in the service longer and be promoted higher than any other commissioning source, as per several NPS studies, and the same studies concluded that the Naval Academy, for the long term health of the Navy was the most cost-effective source of commissioning. And for the record, the study I'm referring to (if I can find it... I used it in a research paper for Economics), was NOT written by Academy alumni.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
However, I would like to point out, and this is JUST for the Navy, not Marines as the two services do vary, but Naval Academy graduates are more inclined to stay in the service longer and be promoted higher than any other commissioning source, as per several NPS studies, and the same studies concluded that the Naval Academy, for the long term health of the Navy was the most cost-effective source of commissioning. And for the record, the study I'm referring to (if I can find it... I used it in a research paper for Economics), was NOT written by Academy alumni.

So show me the ROI calculation for a 5 year SWO, 10 year aviator, and a 20 year aviator from a dude who payed his own way through college and headed to OCS, NROTC 4 year scholarship recipient to a nice state school like Ohio State, and finally an Academy grad with pay, benefits and a guestimate for the cost per year. Staying in service longer may or may not be a good thing. Being promoted could follow the same logic (follows below). What good is the USNA for the long term image through all the silly shit that has occured since the EE scandal/drugs/hazing/murder/rape debacles in the 90's and on?

You are correct, the marginal cost per year of an Academy guy/gal decreases comparativelly at the 20 year point, but none the less will be higher than the other two. The promotion to higher ranks/staying longr generally means jack shit, its a matter of being willing to suck a little schlang for beer money, sacrificing family and self respect for a retirement check (speaking from MY experience here dammit!)... hate to burst your bubble if your a firstie, but the greatest leaders are not the folks with birds/stars on their collar. Succeeding in the "system" doesn't make you great at anything but being either lucky or at playing in it or around it. NPS studies are done by in-work graduate students... I'll get and post the CNA study soon if able (not nec. right, but done by PHD's with copious experience in/around the NAV).

bigwill2876

He GAWN and that's good.

$1,000 for a wine party ? That's it ? Does he know that some wine comes with corks ?

Many are given second chances or get benefit of expanded/stretched "rules and regs", third chances not so many.

Just think of the money he saved on lard for this year's climb.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
So show me the ROI calculation for a 5 year SWO, 10 year aviator, and a 20 year aviator from a dude who payed his own way through college and headed to OCS, NROTC 4 year scholarship recipient to a nice state school like Ohio State, and finally an Academy grad with pay, benefits and a guestimate for the cost per year. Staying in service longer may or may not be a good thing. Being promoted could follow the same logic (follows below). What good is the USNA for the long term image through all the silly shit that has occured since the EE scandal/drugs/hazing/murder/rape debacles in the 90's and on?

You are correct, the marginal cost per year of an Academy guy/gal decreases comparativelly at the 20 year point, but none the less will be higher than the other two. The promotion to higher ranks/staying longr generally means jack shit, its a matter of being willing to suck a little schlang for beer money, sacrificing family and self respect for a retirement check (speaking from MY experience here dammit!)... hate to burst your bubble if your a firstie, but the greatest leaders are not the folks with birds/stars on their collar. Succeeding in the "system" doesn't make you great at anything but being either lucky or at playing in it or around it. NPS studies are done by in-work graduate students... I'll get and post the CNA study soon if able (not nec. right, but done by PHD's with copious experience in/around the NAV).

And that's fine. I'm an Ensign by the way, not a firstie. With that said, I was in no way saying that birds/stars automatically correlates to superb leadership. But, as far as the Navy's return on investment goes, those are the people who weight that average in favor of the Academy. Not taking sides here, just stating it how the study said so. I think there are plenty of merits and downfalls to all commissioning sources.

And as far as scandals go, come on, let's be honest, I'm sure NROTC mids do as much or more stupid crap than Academy mids, but the spotlight is not on them nearly as often and if the Academy ceased to exist, they would focus on NROTC mids doing dumb stuff all the more often.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I'm an Ensign by the way, not a firstie. With that said, I was in no way saying that birds/stars automatically correlates to superb leadership. But, as far as the Navy's return on investment goes, those are the people who weight that average in favor of the Academy.

Roger Ensign DanMa. Saw the O-1ness after the fact, and was tooooo lazy to go back and edit. So the officer ROI is swayed by the perpetual self licking ice cream cone...? I can spin the lense and comprehend the rest of your points/perceptions well enough, you might just be right. Lets try it (the cut) and see!