• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Someone Help!!

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor

I was thinking about apologizing for my post, because well, cinco de mayo is a very fun holiday and that post was put up very very late in the evening (or early in the morning :p)

however after re-reading it, and your post, I stand by everything I said.

You posted something that resembled less of a legitimate question and more of the ranting of a 12 year old who's mother won't buy them the toy they want. If you want to avoid getting mad when people flame you because they don't know all the facts: GIVE THEM ALL THE FACTS TO BEGIN WITH!
Nothing puts the lil red flamey :)icon_rage) face on one of my posts more than "You don't know me, quit making assumptions"

Three things to do to avoid getting flamed on your first post in this forum (or any forum for that matter)
1: SEARCH FIRST (there is plenty of information on this site about ALL the programs mentioned)

2: Introduce yourself
(Don't make your first post on a site "help help help my OR isn't doing all the work".)

3: fill out your bio with something other than one word descriptions.

oh and I forgot another one

4: NEVER GO FULL RETARD

remember all of these and you will get a much better response out of everyone, including myself

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Ameri,
PUtting aside the flames, you gotta trust your OR. He will drag you kicking and screaming through this process if you merit the time. The only way he has to know you merit it is if you can get the stats on the ASTB. Imagine the egg on his face if he sends you for a medical, runs you, background checks you, and you pull a 30.

I got into this knowing even less than you, and now I've got my pro-rec and I'm eager to get started. But I HAD to show I wanted it. I walked in for the initial interview wearing a nice shirt and my best shoes to show respect, and that's all I had. After I signed up for my test, I found out the steps necessary. When I walked in again, took my ASTB, and mentioned wanting to schedule MEPS and PRT before he could, he knew I was serious. When he asked why I wanted in and I mentioned feeling obligated as a citizen, he knew I was serious for the right reasons.

Keep it into your head that IF you're offered this, it's an honor that not everybody can even apply for, let alone be competitive for. Screw your head on tight, gut check yourself, and lean on the Chief. They tell me you'll be doing alot of that as a JO anyways.

amerkins1985

I was thinking about apologizing for my post, because well, cinco de mayo is a very fun holiday and that post was put up very very late in the evening (or early in the morning :p)

however after re-reading it, and your post, I stand by everything I said.

You posted something that resembled less of a legitimate question and more of the ranting of a 12 year old who's mother won't buy them the toy they want. If you want to avoid getting mad when people flame you because they don't know all the facts: GIVE THEM ALL THE FACTS TO BEGIN WITH!
Nothing puts the lil red flamey :)icon_rage) face on one of my posts more than "You don't know me, quit making assumptions"

Three things to do to avoid getting flamed on your first post in this forum (or any forum for that matter)
1: SEARCH FIRST (there is plenty of information on this site about ALL the programs mentioned)

2: Introduce yourself

3: fill out your bio with something other than one word descriptions.

Don't make your first post on a site "help help help my OR isn't doing all the work".

oh and I forgot another one

4: NEVER GO FULL RETARD

remember all of these and you will get a much better response out of everyone, including myself

My apologies... I didn’t realize that in order to get respectful answers to questions I had to ensure my profile was completely filled out first and I needed to start the post off with "hello my name is ... I like to take long strolls in the park... ect...ect..." really??
So you are straight up telling me the you are being rude as hell to me titling your replies things such as "your a f**king retard" all because I asked a question that YOU thought was dumb and had been asked too many times and I didn’t fill out my bio... seriously?!?!

Get a Life!!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
A Merkin....

merkin.jpg

Your new avatar?

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Ameri,

Once last piece of advice. You are not as anonymous as you think you are on this board. If you're selected for your program, eventually someone will clock to who you are in real life by you putting out enough accidental clues.

Think about your first impression, say a sorry to a bunch of people you never met, and come back hat in hand. We all here love to help the newer guys, because we all remember where we were 6 months, 1 2 or 10 years ago. Search the site, find the info, and if you need further advice, then we'll be happy to help.

Big Biff

Got Em
I know that officers do not get a GI bill but I was informed that they have student loan repayment programs. The more I research it, I find that the LRP is only for enlisted. How is it that the military requires you to have a degree in order to become an officer yet they do not help you repay the loans that you had to take out TO join the military...

Looks like the wolves were too busy tearing you to shreds to answer/correct your question.

1. Officers DO get the GI Bill, including the post 9/11 GI Bill Im not sure what your source is but it is flawed.
2. While the Navy does not offer a college loan repayment program, the Marine Corps does. Its capped at 30K and spread 33%/33%/33% after OCS.

Edit: Picklesuit beat me to it

BackOrdered

Contributor
Being in my shoes I have a lot of really good friends and family who are chiefs and SR chiefs and they are jumping down MY throat about how the OR should be helping more.

amerkins1985 you have to understand Officer Recruiters are very busy, have ALOT of applicants, and becoming an Officer is a competitive process where you have to jock for position, even for the OR's attention. The Navy needs you as much as they needed me when I was applying, they don't. To be honest, it is understandable for the OR not to be very helpful in any way other than telling you what he/she wants and where you should be. That's just the way the Officer side of recruiting is. No one is going to go out of their way until you demonstrate it first.

And like someone said, you need to chillax on this site, take a deep breath, and listen to what's communicated before you respond.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
I almost never get annoyed with people who look for information on this forum, because more often than not, they're well-meaning and ask legitimate questions. So I re-read your original post, just to make sure I had it right the first time.

You say you "come to these boards seeking knowledge, experience and advise," none of which you asked for in the original post. In fact, you did not ask a SINGLE question in that post. Basically, regardless of how you actually meant it, this is the way it sounded to me: "Whine, whine, whine, my OR is a douche for not doing my job for me, whining again, the Navy should be paying me for the degree I'm getting, even though they never forced me to get it, more whining, I don't know what to do."

AW is a phenomenal resource. Much of what I learned about the application process, and especially the ASTB, came from SEARCHING all the great threads here. We have all been where you are now in some capacity, and have a lot of knowledge to share. But do not come onto this forum having done ZERO research and cry about your OR, who is a busy man with way too much to do to waste his time telling you about things you can very easily find out on your own. We are all likely to have very little sympathy, since we were all persistent and did the WORK to get to whatever point we're at in the process.

Bottom line- you made yourself sound like a cry baby, and you are digging yourself an even deeper hole. Walk away from this thread, and start doing some legwork. I suggest you begin with the search function and see where that takes you. I'm glad to see you bought the books and got the gouge- now get studying and prove to that OR that you're worth his time. Next time you have a question, search a bit, learn what you can, and if you still don't know after all that, PM me and I will gladly help you.

Oh and if I were you, I would apologize to GO_AV8... like... now. That is all.

EDIT: Wow a lot of people posted before me while I was writing that... ok so I think you probably get the point now. Just relax, and I promise when you've put in the effort, someone will help you out.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Haha... yup thats a 'merkin' LOL

So you are saying you are a cock-wig? And you are wondering why the OR doesn't want to waste his time....

Dude, just STFU, take the ASTB/OAR, put together your package, and talk to the OR then...he will probably be MUCH more receptive/helpful...

Oh, and spend a minimum of 2 hours a day perusing AW (without posting)...anything about everything can be learned here...
Pickle

blarged

ready
Ameri,

May I advise that you clear out all information from your current account, create a new one that can not be linked to this one, sit on it and lurk for a few days/weeks letting everything cool down a little bit, and then start posting again.

It seems to me that the best questions are the shorter questions, and believe it or not (for a newb on the forum) questions that lack emotion.

I'm not saying that everyone was fair or unfair in the flaming, but just give it a clean slate.

Good luck.

amerkins1985

look...

My initial post was not ment to be a "whine" it was more so me trying to get more info as far as what is exactly going on and why I am being told 5 different things

We all obviously got off on the wrong foot. (esp me and GO_AV8...)
I did not feel that my initial posting was offensive in any way but that is just my opinion... obviously different people had different opinions on it. Some of you directly responded to my concerns... some just told me to stop being lazy (in so many words) and some of you directly attacked me for no reason (again just my opinion)

Surely you all can understand my fruustration in the fact that i have everyone telling me something different which is why I reached out to people who are already in or applying for the program. I was not trying to be "whiney" or whatever I was more so confused that my OR is telling me one thing... my friends and family that are chiefs and Sr Chiefs are telling me another and random websites are telling me yet another...

I know this is not something that is going to be easy... I know that I have my work cut out for me... And I do not expect anything from anyone.
I just thought that the OR would be a bit more helpful in recruiting for the program but on the same note I guess I didn’t realize exactly how competitive the program actually is.

I know now not to post any questions on here unless I have utilized every resource possible prior to asking. I also learned that if I have a question it seems that it is better to pm people because otherwise it turns into this big "let the wolves loose" for no reason.

I am done with this discussion thread... you guys can feel free to respond to this posting however you please but I will not be reading it... I have better things to do like study for my ASTB :icon_tong

If anyone has anything further to say to me please feel free to PM me...

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
amerkin, just take the lessons learned here today and apply them and you will do fine.

probably time for a thread lock anyways

Mod Squad?

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My apologies... I didn’t realize that in order to get respectful answers to questions I had to ensure my profile was completely filled out first and I needed to start the post off with "hello my name is ... I like to take long strolls in the park... ect...ect..." really??
So you are straight up telling me the you are being rude as hell to me titling your replies things such as "your a f**king retard" all because I asked a question that YOU thought was dumb and had been asked too many times and I didn’t fill out my bio... seriously?!?!

Get a Life!!

Step away from the shovel. Quit digging deeper long enough to read some threads. Get a feel for what Airwarriors is all about. If you do that you will realize that you are not being singled out. Loose the attitude and these guys will go out of their way to help you if you let them.