• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Someone Help!!

amerkins1985

I am interest in the Navy's BDCP. Apparently there is only ONE officer recruiter in each area. The Sr Chief in charge of Officer Recruiting in this area has been absolutely NO help!! When I ask what all is going to be on th ASTB I am told to go to Boarders and buy a book. When I ask if the base offers any practice tests I am told to go on the internet and find them. When I ask to come in and talk to him about everything I am told very basic info and informed that he will give me more information once I take and pass the ASTB.

I know that officers do not get a GI bill but I was informed that they have student loan repayment programs. The more I research it, I find that the LRP is only for enlisted. How is it that the military requires you to have a degree in order to become an officer yet they do not help you repay the loans that you had to take out TO join the military...

I found this website tonight http://www.navy-officer.com/application.html shows that there are a few steps that I am suppose to go through PRIOR to taking the ASTB... yet the officer recruiter is making me take the test prior to submitting the application...

I am so confused and not sure how to proceed...

navy09

None
How is it that the military requires you to have a degree in order to become an officer yet they do not help you repay the loans that you had to take out TO join the military...

That's retarded. Since when do employers reimburse employees for all pre-requisite qualifications for the job? There are many people who get the military to pay for college but it has nothing to do with that logic.

torpedo0126

Well while it does suck your recruiter is not being very helpful, taking the step forward and not having your hand held helps too. If they told you you need to pass the ASTB first, pass the ASTB.

A simple google search will find you almost everything what you need to know. The practice books help a lot and contain practice exams.

Use the search function on this website to find a wealth of knowledge on the ASTB.

torpedo0126

That's retarded. Since when do employers reimburse employees for all pre-requisite qualifications for the job? There are many people who get the military to pay for college but it has nothing to do with that logic.

yea no kidding...approximately 2/3s of Naval Officers are commissioned through NROTC or the USNA...a good percentage of them are fully funded scholarships.

Thats a pretty good chunk of people who are getting pre-reqs paid for.

Also, make sure you WANT to be a Naval Officer. Saying this makes it seem like you just want to get your loans repaid.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
The Sr Chief in charge of Officer Recruiting in this area has been absolutely NO help!! When I ask what all is going to be on th ASTB I am told to go to Boarders and buy a book. When I ask if the base offers any practice tests I am told to go on the internet and find them.

I could be off base here, but I would imagine that he expects you to be proactive and find out that information on your own. It would take about 3 seconds to look that up on Google. You want to be an officer? Great. Your first step is to learn how to take some initiative. Your OR is not going to do everything for you.

navy09

None

Those scholarship are given out as bribes to ensure they're getting as many people as they need. Paying for pre-reqs would be like the Navy funding everyone's PRK.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I am interest in the Navy's BDCP. Apparently there is only ONE officer recruiter in each area. The Sr Chief in charge of Officer Recruiting in this area has been absolutely NO help!! When I ask what all is going to be on th ASTB I am told to go to Boarders and buy a book. When I ask if the base offers any practice tests I am told to go on the internet and find them. When I ask to come in and talk to him about everything I am told very basic info and informed that he will give me more information once I take and pass the ASTB.

I know that officers do not get a GI bill but I was informed that they have student loan repayment programs. The more I research it, I find that the LRP is only for enlisted. How is it that the military requires you to have a degree in order to become an officer yet they do not help you repay the loans that you had to take out TO join the military...

I found this website tonight http://www.navy-officer.com/application.html shows that there are a few steps that I am suppose to go through PRIOR to taking the ASTB... yet the officer recruiter is making me take the test prior to submitting the application...

I am so confused and not sure how to proceed...

Attitude assessment

You are pissed at a Sr Chief because he won't do all the work for you?
Grow the fvck up and be proactive. You want to know what's on the ASTB, buy the frikk'n book. You wan't info on it, look on line. It isn't hard, and if you really want to be an officer, start being proactive.

Depending on what boards you are trying to go through, your recruiter is probably trying to gauge your aptitude before spending too much time on your app. Think about it. College is ending, and I'm sure there has been a flood of apps and right now they are probably scrambling their asses with people who are already pro-rec'd or final selected. Take a chill pill and do what your OR says.

Also, the GI bill is for people that have served already. What makes you think you are entitled to the same thing they are? People in ROTC have to give up a significant amount of their college life in return for their scholarships and BDCP people are: um.... well... they have a service commitment, same as ROTC people.

As a person who is paying out of his own pocket just (as you put it) to serve in the military, I am offended by that attitude. I pay out of my own pocket to go to college, to get a degree, to possibly have the privilege of being an officer in the United States Military. To think that the military owes you jack for getting a degree is bs. You better start think of something bigger than yourself, or you better hope your degree is worth something to put on a resume, I hear it's tough to get a job in the civi world these days.

Rethink your post, and try again later.:icon_rage

Be proactive, do what he tells you, and drop the entitlement everyone should hand everything to me attitude, and everything will work out.

/flame off.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Dude, neither my OR nor your OR nor any OR is going to waste his time until you take the ASTB.

If you get a 4/3/3/30 or something, you're not competitive. At least not for aviation. So why is he going to spend a great deal of time on someone who might not be competitive? Lots of people take the ASTB, lots of people inquire about being an officer. Few actually meet the qualifications.

I was proactive. I researched this and looked into it for a long time, both on AW and elsewhere, and did most of the work myself. But I also had the support of a great recruiting staff--once I showed them I was a serious candidate.

Bottom line: You want the Navy to pay you more than the average kid out in Iraq being shot at so you can go to school. Put a little effort into it, please.

Edit: And BTW, my attitude wasn't perfect when I first looked at applying. Probably isn't perfect now. So there's nothing wrong with being a little off there--as long as you straighten out a bit.

BackOrdered

Contributor
How is it that the military requires you to have a degree in order to become an officer yet they do not help you repay the loans that you had to take out TO join the military...

Yeah, I gotta play you a sad song on a tiny violin on this one. My application for BDCP was out at the boards during a tuition hike of 5 thousand dollars over the same summer. My college basically said pay up or no active student status for you. Got a second job, didn't take any days off, paid the tuition, got into BDCP. You gotta want it.

As a person who is paying out of his own pocket just (as you put it) to serve in the military, I am offended by that attitude. I pay out of my own pocket to go to college, to get a degree, to possibly have the privilege of being an officer in the United States Military. To think that the military owes you jack for getting a degree is bs. You better start think of something bigger than yourself, or you better hope your degree is worth something to put on a resume, I hear it's tough to get a job in the civi world these days.

+1

blarged

ready
for a no-nothing beginning approach to the BDCP and ASTB, check the BDCP tags in my blog (per the link in my sig). i feel like the only hits i ever get on my blog are from people looking for information on BDCP and the ASTB

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, guys, point's made. Cease fire, red range.

Walking in to the military knowing nothing about it can be intimidating and frustrating. Your OR will not walk you through everything - that's not his job - but he should be available as a source of information - that is his job.

Understand that the Navy has more than enough applicants to become officers, and a lot of those "applicants" are tire-kickers who want to be SEALs or fighter pilots but don't want to do the huge amount of work required to get there. (insert salty speech about kids today and their entitlement attitude) So the best thing to do if you're serious about becoming an officer is to demonstrate to the OR that you're not one of those guys and you're not wasting his time. Do the legwork on your own, use this resource and others to find out everything you can. Just reading the sticky threads on flight school, OCS, and the ASTB will answer many of your questions. Study for, pass and EXCEL on the ASTB. Show the OR that you WANT this.

You're not applying for a job...you're trying out for the Major Leagues, and you can't start off by complaining that the club won't send someone over to your house for batting practice.

amerkins1985

yea no kidding...approximately 2/3s of Naval Officers are commissioned through NROTC or the USNA...a good percentage of them are fully funded scholarships.

Also, make sure you WANT to be a Naval Officer. Saying this makes it seem like you just want to get your loans repaid.

I have to pay my loans off regardless if I go into the military or not... I was more curious as to why there are programs in place for enlisted but not for officers...

amerkins1985

Attitude assessment
You are pissed at a Sr Chief because he won't do all the work for you?
Grow the fvck up and be proactive. You want to know what's on the ASTB, buy the frikk'n book. You wan't info on it, look on line. It isn't hard, and if you really want to be an officer, start being proactive.
Depending on what boards you are trying to go through, your recruiter is probably trying to gauge your aptitude before spending too much time on your app. Think about it. College is ending, and I'm sure there has been a flood of apps and right now they are probably scrambling their asses with people who are already pro-rec'd or final selected. Take a chill pill and do what your OR says.
Also, the GI bill is for people that have served already. What makes you think you are entitled to the same thing they are? People in ROTC have to give up a significant amount of their college life in return for their scholarships and BDCP people are: um.... well... they have a service commitment, same as ROTC people.
Rethink your post, and try again later.
Be proactive, do what he tells you, and drop the entitlement everyone should hand everything to me attitude, and everything will work out.
/flame off.

WOW… SO you defiantly took some of what I said out of context!!! I am sorry that my frustration with the situation offended you!! Being in my shoes I have a lot of really good friends and family who are chiefs and SR chiefs and they are jumping down MY throat about how the OR should be helping more.

I have been proactive.. I have purchased 3 different books and printed every possible gouge from the internet… so its not that I am NOT being proactive or I just don’t care. Its is more so that I am being told 5 different things and I want straight answers.
THAT is why I posted on here… not to be belittled and criticized but to get input from people who are in or have been through the program!! I understand your point that the OR doesn’t want to spend too much time on someone who may be wasting their time where there are bigger and better things out there. I understand and respect that from a management standpoint. I guess I more so don’t understand why the OR up north was willing to sit down and talk to me about the program and go over everything with me while the OR here is not. I realize now (thanx to you) that the competition is greater in this area and again… he doesn’t want to waste his time.

As for your comment "..GI bill is for people that have served already. What makes you think you are entitled to the same thing they are? People in ROTC have to give up a significant amount of their college life in return for their scholarships and BDCP people are: um.... well... they have a service commitment, same as ROTC people." I don’t THINK I deserve anything… and I was curious as to why there are programs for enlisted people but not officers. I CHOSE to go to school… I CHOSE to take out loans… and I HAVE to pay them back no matter what… I know that and I am okay with that… my reason for asking was more geared to finding out if there ARE any other programs that maybe I just simply haven’t come across yet…
And as for your other comment "As a person who is paying out of his own pocket just (as you put it) to serve in the military, I am offended by that attitude. I pay out of my own pocket to go to college, to get a degree, to possibly have the privilege of being an officer in the United States Military. To think that the military owes you jack for getting a degree is bs. You better start think of something bigger than yourself, or you better hope your degree is worth something to put on a resume, I hear it's tough to get a job in the civi world these days."

I never even went that route… YOU did!! I would never talk down about the military or anyone in it and that’s what you just accused me of doing. I don’t think that anyone or thing owes me S**t. I am just a simple person, going through college, working, and trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I have always thought about the military but I did not join fresh out of highschool because I "Married the Military" and decided to persue and education instead. I am now divorced and finishing up college and weighing my options of going in (which was my original plan) or attempting to find a job in the "civi world" as you put it.
Serving our country IS a PRIVILEGE and it IS one that I would like to persue. I come to these boards seeking knowledge, experience and advise. If you are not willing or able to give me that (of have you head so far shoved up your ***) then do us both a favor and don’t post on my thread!!

:eek:

amerkins1985

Dude, neither my OR nor your OR nor any OR is going to waste his time until you take the ASTB.

If you get a 4/3/3/30 or something, you're not competitive. At least not for aviation. So why is he going to spend a great deal of time on someone who might not be competitive? Lots of people take the ASTB, lots of people inquire about being an officer. Few actually meet the qualifications.

I was proactive. I researched this and looked into it for a long time, both on AW and elsewhere, and did most of the work myself. But I also had the support of a great recruiting staff--once I showed them I was a serious candidate.

Bottom line: You want the Navy to pay you more than the average kid out in Iraq being shot at so you can go to school. Put a little effort into it, please.

Edit: And BTW, my attitude wasn't perfect when I first looked at applying. Probably isn't perfect now. So there's nothing wrong with being a little off there--as long as you straighten out a bit.

It is frustrating and overwhelming and it can cause what others perceive as a "bad attitude"!! :tongue2_1