• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some questions about flight life

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Recidivist said:
Could anybody give a little insight as to what a cruise might be like, and what buildups are like. thanks.

Normally, someone might tell you to do a search, but if you search for "buildups" you probably aren't going to find much. I think you mean workups. If so, do a search for "cruise" and "workups" there is a lot of good info posted.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was one of those with jets only on my mind going into primary. Got the grades but didn't get the slot, had the E2/C2 draft going on. Took 2 of us that week. Never in my goal to become a naval aviator did I think I would end up flying C-2 Greyhounds. Never even heard of them. Ended up loving it. Not the flying necessarily but the lifestyle and duty stations (read: San Diego). I've done one full cruise flying day/night carrier ops and living on the boat with the airwing-good times. Did another cruise with half of it on the boat, half off the boat-even better times. My last cruise was pretty much entirely off the boat, island hopping to keep up with the boat and flying from foriegn airfields, living in anything from a BOQ to 4 star hotels-the kind of good times you do without pants :D

Good luck to you and FLY NAVY :icon_smil

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every deployment is different and depends on many factors too numerous to list. Is the head guy a libo hound or not, is he a go getter looking to get into a fight or does he wait to be tasked by higher.
Just some of the factors that go into it.

airwinger

pilot
Pcola04/30 said:
I would say that the E2/C2 pipeline is the longest....especially if you factor in the unavoidable 'pools' at the beginning of each stage of flight school. My .02.
Well I started API on Dec 13 2002 winged on April 1st 2005 and I was the FASTEST intermediate/advanced guy in YEARS(this according to the OPSO)

Most other guys in my winging class had started in april of 2002.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pcola04/30 said:
I would say that the E2/C2 pipeline is the longest....especially if you factor in the unavoidable 'pools' at the beginning of each stage of flight school. My .02.

I wasn't taking into consideration "pools", as they are not training time. Just using the raw "expected" numbers (which we know never happen). That said, I don't know the E2/C2 numbers, what are they?

Recidivist

Thanks guys. So it looks like API to wings is about 2.5 years, is that correct? It seems like you have zero control over how long it will take. What are the "expected" numbers (as in what do they mean)?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recidivist said:
Thanks guys. So it looks like API to wings is about 2.5 years, is that correct? It seems like you have zero control over how long it will take. What are the "expected" numbers (as in what do they mean)?

Not necessarily. Again, it depends on your pipeline and training delays. I know plenty that got wings in less than 2 years.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
From whose? Yours? ;)
Yep, from mine. Let's see, how many hours did you get to wings. Don't try to act like your time to train is the same. Not knocking you, just pointing out the difference.

And, for the others on here acting like they are varsity 'cause their grades didn't allow them to go single seat from the get go, don't do it. I'll compare grades and such any day and we'll see who's varsity. :icon_rage
see you in the fleet

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
pilot_man said:
And, for the others on here acting like they are varsity 'cause their grades didn't allow them to go single seat from the get go, don't do it. I'll compare grades and such any day and we'll see who's varsity. :icon_rage
see you in the fleet

Uhh, none of us in the fleet remember what are grades were.

Yeah, all us multi seat aircraft guys are all JV, whew I am glad you let us know.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Thanks Mr. helo man, but this doesn't concern you. You don't even have the option of single seat, so why is it you feel you need to say anything?
And I didn't say ALL multi seat were JV, I just won't let someone with a different skill level call me 2nd rate. peace:icon_smil

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
pilot_man said:
Thanks Mr. helo man, but this doesn't concern you. You don't even have the option of single seat, so why is it you feel you need to say anything?
And I didn't say ALL multi seat were JV, I just won't let someone with a different skill level call me 2nd rate. peace:icon_smil

My bad, I thought your single seat comment was directed at me. Although all SNA's had the chance/option? of single seat at the end of Primary (again why I thought you were directing your comments at me.)