• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some questions about flight life

Recidivist

I'm not sure if these are answered elsewhere, although I'm sure that I am supposed to be able to get this info from my recruiter (he has not been able to provide a lot of answers).

I have been pre-selected for pilot with a January start date for OCS and am still in the dark about a lot of things, including when my final select will be and when my OCS start date would be.

So assuming that I am going to OCS I have a few questions:
How long is it typical to wait before going to flight school, and how long does it take the average pilot to get his/her wings?
Is there any way to find out what pipelines may be open (I know this is a long shot, and probably impossible to predict...)?
What are the chances of getting your desired station assignment advanced training and later?
I have an MS degree, does the Navy give me anything (even a high 5) for this?
I have talked with a few Jet guys (more input always welcome), but not really anyone else from any other communities. What is life like for different pilots? Objective input here would be great. Also Helos pilot input would be particularly welcome here as the Navy seems to have a lot of Helos.
I have a friend who went to flight school with the AF and before he went he did nothing but rag on heavies. In the end he ended up choosing C-5s. Did anybody drastically change their minds about what platform they wanted while in flight school, and if so why?

Thanks for any help given!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The only thing I can comment on is the wait between checking into NASC and starting API...

It varies. From a couple weeks to a few months... depends on alot of stuff.. IFS completion, SNA or SNFO, size of A-pool, when you check in, where you go for primary, and a list of alot of other stuff that my inexperienced self doesn't know anything about.

I had a buddy who started API 3 weeks after checking in. I'll have been here at least 6 mos. before i start.

Hope that answers that one question.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the board! I'll try to answer the questions I can.

how long does it take the average pilot to get his/her wings?

This is extremely variable. The jet pipeline is the longest. The helo pipeline is the shortest. There are 6 weeks of API, 6 months of Primary, and Advanced varies depending on pipeline. Helos is 6 months of Advanced, and Jets is about 1 year. Those times can vary as well. To put it in perspective, I commissioned in May 2003, didn't start API until December 2003, started Primary in February 2004, finished in August 2004, and started Jet Advanced in February 2005. On the flip side... there are Ensigns winging in Kingsville, another jet training base. Go figure.

Is there any way to find out what pipelines may be open (I know this is a long shot, and probably impossible to predict...)?
Won't matter until you select. Don't worry about it. Seriously. When Mefesto selected, they were giving out jets like it was their job. When I selected, a few months after, jets were far and few between. Same happens to E2/C2 and Props.

What are the chances of getting your desired station assignment advanced training and later?

Confusing question. Do you mean Advanced pipelines? The only pipeline with an actual choice of location is the jet pipeline... Meridian and Kingsville. The other pipelines are single locations. Or did you mean the FRS?

Did anybody drastically change their minds about what platform they wanted while in flight school, and if so why?

I know many people who entered flight school that wanted nothing but jets. Halfway through Primary they decided they didn't want them at all. Same goes for other platforms. It happens. Sometimes from your own realizations of your ability level, sometimes because of IPs influencing you, and so on.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Recidivist said:
I have an MS degree, does the Navy give me anything (even a high 5) for this?
not really in the beginning. As you get more senior it might come into play a bit more.

Recidivist said:
I have a friend who went to flight school with the AF and before he went he did nothing but rag on heavies. In the end he ended up choosing C-5s. Did anybody drastically change their minds about what platform they wanted while in flight school, and if so why?
don't worry, you'll get brainwashed wherever you end up and will end up loving what you fly regardless.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
don't worry, you'll get brainwashed wherever you end up and will end up loving what you fly regardless.

LOL ain't that the truth.

Recidivist

Thanks for the help guys.

with respect to the clockwork orange thing:
I'm kinda scared about them trying to make me watch crappy movies to glorify my job though. Any boyfriend or husband who has had to sit through cheesy romantic comedies can appreciate this perspective.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Recidivist said:
with respect to the clockwork orange thing:
I'm kinda scared about them trying to make me watch crappy movies to glorify my job though. Any boyfriend or husband who has had to sit through cheesy romantic comedies can appreciate this perspective.

Back when I was a 4/c MIDN there were a couple communities I said I wanted nothing to do with, and Id probably end up hating if i got "stuck" with. Now - six years later, after going on summer cruises, doing more research into each community- getting a better understanding of the big picture of what they do, talking to people from those communities, and actually experiencing flight school my opinions have changed. Sure I have some preference when comparing one community to the next, and they all have pros and cons, but I can't say there is one that I couldn't find myself being happy/satisfied with.

It still pisses me off when people are close minded enough at this stage of the game to DOR because they didn't get a specifc community they wanted, or worse, because they got a specific community they didn't want.

Recidivist,
Take things one day at a time. Focus on the phase of training you are in when you are there. Do your best, and try to pickup as much knowledge from those with experience in the different communities as you can on your way through the program.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recidivist said:
I'm kinda scared about them trying to make me watch crappy movies to glorify my job though.

What? Who are they? And scared? Am I missing something? When does this happen?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
I think it happens if you get jets and then you're only allowed to watch top gun.

Hardy har har. :icon_tong

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Or you cruise on the Big E and they play Top Gun every damn day. I guess they are trying to live up the glory days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This discussion reminds me of my flight back to P'cola after Thanksgiving. There was guy on the flight that was wearing a T-shirt w/ the Top Gun movie logo on the front, and I'm not making this up, and the words "Maverick" on the back like a sports jersey name.

So which one of you clowns was that?