• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soft vs Hard Billet ?

exNavyOffRec

I'd recommend you talk to Manpower at your NOSC and get the story straight from them. I understand what NavyOffRec is saying, but I find the reality of it dubious. I've been trying to remove someone for several months, all within the normal procedures, but it's not easy to make it happen.

These aren't people in normal billets, DCO's just shoved somewhere, NRC was irritated because they had to drop them after 90 days, they could then be back if an actual billet was found, and not all recruiters were doing this, shoot it really only takes this happening to one person who knows the right person to get NRC all irritated.

My processors would see a recruiter doing this and have one of the other recruiters fix it, we really only had one recruiter that was a big offender of this and that recruiter didn't give a shit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will use terminology that makes sense to me and I believe the other will be able to understand, some recruiters would put DCO's in "false billets" they didn't really exist but it was a way for a person to be assigned to a NOSC and drill, normally a person is moved into a "real billet" shortly after but if after 90 days a person isn't moved they were dropped to I believe the IRR.

Huh? I have never heard of this happening. If it is I am going to guess something 'funny' is happening that isn't quite supposed to happen. People don't just get 'dropped' if they doing what they are supposed to unless someone/s is screwing up.

I'd recommend you talk to Manpower at your NOSC and get the story straight from them. I understand what NavyOffRec is saying, but I find the reality of it dubious. I've been trying to remove someone for several months, all within the normal procedures, but it's not easy to make it happen.

The NOSC should help you out, AW is a great resource but it doesn't replace Navy officialdom for everything and especially for something like this.

AVG

Thanks guys, you been a big help!

So basically I'm from San Antonio, TX and I'll be drilling in Ft. Worth (700 miles round trip). If I remain in this "Soft" billet after 90 days I might be "dropped" to IRR?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to get "stuck" driving 700 miles every month for years to come.

=(

When is your first day at Fort Worth? IP/Intel and IW are under COMMANDER, NAVY INTELLIGENCE RESERVE COMMAND (FACEBOOK). NOSC would not have billet information for IP/Intel/IW. Have your NavyRec reach out to the regional OIC for billet information. More than likely the regional OIC will refer the NavyRec to Manpower at CNIRC (Fort Worth).

exNavyOffRec

Huh? I have never heard of this happening. If it is I am going to guess something 'funny' is happening that isn't quite supposed to happen. People don't just get 'dropped' if they doing what they are supposed to unless someone/s is screwing up.

It has happened and yes it most definetly is due to people screwing up or taking shortcuts, that is why NRC and processors get so irritated, it takes not much effort to find a proper spot, it sounds as if the OP recruiter is one of the good ones otherwise the recruiter wouldn't have mentioned he was trying to find a billet.

Doing it right the first time always saves time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So you think the NavyRec is giving me the "run around" ? Does it make a difference if I haven''t received my COMMDOCS yet? Here is where i'm at in the process:

Interviewed
Selected
SF-86 completed and submitted
Recruiter is trying to find me a billet (trying, ughh)
MEPs (next week)

Sigh... Let's back up for a minute. I'm not making any comment or judgement on YOUR Navy Recruiter. I was referring to what the user "NavyOffRec" was saying, and my issue wasn't with him, just the info. It may very well be true.

I'm not smart on DCO. But how is it that you're "in" the Reserves but haven't even been to MEPS? If you've been selected, but not actually affiliated/Indoc'ed, then I completely understand them booting you if there isn't a billet. But if you're already "in," then normally (forgetting DCO for a minute), you're not going to get kicked to IRR just because you've been sitting in IAP for 90 days.

These aren't people in normal billets, DCO's just shoved somewhere, NRC was irritated because they had to drop them after 90 days, they could then be back if an actual billet was found, and not all recruiters were doing this, shoot it really only takes this happening to one person who knows the right person to get NRC all irritated.

My processors would see a recruiter doing this and have one of the other recruiters fix it, we really only had one recruiter that was a big offender of this and that recruiter didn't give a shit.

That makes a little more sense, along with what I think I'm "getting" from Riddick. So is he actually "in" even without a MEPS processing? That just seems odd...cart before the horse kind of odd.

NavyHusky

The way it was explained to me was you get selected by the board, then you do MEPS and your security clearance. If you pass all that you get commissioned, which I don't think Riddick has been yet. Some recruiters would send you to MEPS beforehand because the medical clearance looked good, but the govt was paying for a lot of tests and physicals for people who weren't getting selected.

Also when I was doing my interviews for IP up in New England, the interviewers warned me that there aren't many IP billets and they tend to be concentrated in certain areas. They told me I'd probably be drilling in DC or Virginia from Connecticut, so the 700 miles doesn't sound unusual.

exNavyOffRec

They do have to go to MEPS before being sworn in, it sounds as if the recruiter is looking for a billet to secure before sending him to MEPS, some areas can get around MEPS so that may also be the case here.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
Sigh... Let's back up for a minute. I'm not making any comment or judgement on YOUR Navy Recruiter. I was referring to what the user "NavyOffRec" was saying, and my issue wasn't with him, just the info. It may very well be true.

I'm not smart on DCO. But how is it that you're "in" the Reserves but haven't even been to MEPS? If you've been selected, but not actually affiliated/Indoc'ed, then I completely understand them booting you if there isn't a billet. But if you're already "in," then normally (forgetting DCO for a minute), you're not going to get kicked to IRR just because you've been sitting in IAP for 90 days.

I haven't actually commissioned yet, at this point I’m waiting to go thought MEPs. I don't anticipate any issued on the medical part as my medical history and health have always been pretty good. I'm posing about these issues to seek input from people in the know to help me find my way through this process without "bugging" the heck out of my recruiter. I do appreciate your information as well as the others who have commented on this post. I'm really glad to have all of you as a resource.

That makes a little more sense, along with what I think I'm "getting" from Riddick. So is he actually "in" even without a MEPS processing? That just seems odd...cart before the horse kind of odd.

Again, I'm not "in" at this point.... I have to still complete MEPs and be comissioned unless there is something else I'm missing. If so, can someone please chime in on that front.

exNavyOffRec

Again, I'm not "in" at this point.... I have to still complete MEPs and be comissioned unless there is something else I'm missing. If so, can someone please chime in on that front.

From what I can see your recruiter is doing the right thing, so follow his lead.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
The way it was explained to me was you get selected by the board, then you do MEPS and your security clearance. If you pass all that you get commissioned, which I don't think Riddick has been yet. Some recruiters would send you to MEPS beforehand because the medical clearance looked good, but the govt was paying for a lot of tests and physicals for people who weren't getting selected.

Also when I was doing my interviews for IP up in New England, the interviewers warned me that there aren't many IP billets and they tend to be concentrated in certain areas. They told me I'd probably be drilling in DC or Virginia from Connecticut, so the 700 miles doesn't sound unusual.

So basically, I shouldn't be complaining about the 700 miles? =) Did anyone tell you about receiving per diem for your traveling?

Please don't think I'm in this for the money, I'm sure 99% of us are seeking to receive that "intrinsic" value for our service however, I'm just trying not to take a monthly negative financial hit. In my case, I would have to deduct medical, taxes and 150.00 in fuel for the round trip travel per month. I don't plan to make much but would hate to lose money.

NavyHusky

So basically, I shouldn't be complaining about the 700 miles? =) Did anyone tell you about receiving per diem for your traveling?

Please don't think I'm in this for the money, I'm sure 99% of us are seeking to receive that "intrinsic" value for our service however, I'm just trying not to take a monthly negative financial hit. In my case, I would have to deduct medical, taxes and 150.00 in fuel for the round trip travel per month. I don't plan to make much but would hate to lose money.

They never got into the details of per diems, they just wanted me to know there was the possibility of having a very long commute, especially as promotions came. And I hear you on the money thing. I'd be happy with a zero sum game, but when it starts to go negative it becomes harder to justify.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
When is your first day at Fort Worth? IP/Intel and IW are under COMMANDER, NAVY INTELLIGENCE RESERVE COMMAND (FACEBOOK). NOSC would not have billet information for IP/Intel/IW. Have your NavyRec reach out to the regional OIC for billet information. More than likely the regional OIC will refer the NavyRec to Manpower at CNIRC (Fort Worth).

AVG - I see you are from the Ft Worth area, when are you guessing you might start? My recruiter thinks I should be drilling in June. Maybe we should exchange emails or something, it would be great to know someone prior to my first drill.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Was my answer the first time not good enough? Go back and read it again. This is all Title 10, U.S. Code stuff, so it applies to everyone. In general, drilling 700 miles from your home is not abnormal for Officers.

"You get what you get."

AVG

AVG - I see you are from the Ft Worth area, when are you guessing you might start? My recruiter thinks I should be drilling in June. Maybe we should exchange emails or something, it would be great to know someone prior to my first drill.

I'm a SELRES and currently drill out of JRB FTW. I PM'd you my contact info. As an enlisted, for the most part, you are guaranteed a local billet. As an officer, that will not always be the case. In order to be successful we will need to take billets that perhaps no one else is willing to do, either because of location or the type of job :) . I knew this before applying. I hope this is not the first time hearing it. One of my previous COs would fly from GA to CA every drill weekend. Additionally he had to pay for a rental car. Berthing was provided by the NOSC. I don't doubt that he had to pay out of pocket every drill weekend. This were COMMITMENT comes to play.

My NavyRec believes I will get my COMDOCS by May. He is optimistic, in my opinion. :) I patiently wait. I'm done with all my medical, and I'm waiting on my Conditional Release from PERS.