• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Soft vs Hard Billet ?

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
Help!

Guys, I’m hoping one or more of you can chime in and shed some like on this subject for a newbie. I was recently selected for the IP (1825) designator from the last boards. My recruiter is currently trying to find me a Billet, but is having some trouble. Right now he is suggesting a “Soft” billet for “training” in Ft. Worth and I’m living in San Antonio. This being the case, it would be about a 700 mile (8hrs) round trip weekend for me. Does anyone know the following?

1. what the heck is a “soft”/”hard” billet.
2. How does a “training” billet differ than a regular “soft” or “hard “billet?
2. How can U secure myself a billet closer to home?

BTW - Is there any per diem for travel? If so what are the specifics, limits etc.

Any help would be great!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My experience is with hardware units, so some of this might be a little different than what you'll see, but here goes...

1. I'm guessing he may be trying to put you in a "temp" status (IAP maybe?) at a unit until another billet opens up. You're technically attached to that unit, but you have 90 days to find another actual funded billet somewhere. When you're IAP, you're still expected to drill when the unit drills and execute your AT.

2. My guess is that when he says "training" billet, he means you'll be Cross-Assigned In (CAI) to that unit. If you're cross-assigned, you actually "belong" to two units. The first would be a NOSC (let's say) that is responsible for getting all your medical/GMT/admin stuff up to speed. You're Training UIC would be the other unit that is relevant to your Rate (or designator, in your case). I don't think you can be CAI to an IAP billet.

3. How do you get a new billet? You network. I'm not too smart on the Officer side, but I know the E-side has CMS-ID and they can look up available billets, then apply to them. Actually talking with a unit's leadership helps, too. Sometimes units won't show available billets, but they might actually have one they know is coming open.

For funding, when you drill regularly (called IDTs), you are only entitled to billeting. Travel is on your own dime. If you're CAI and doing IDTs, some units have what's called IDTT, which pays for your travel and then you use your IDTs when you drill. That money is hard to come by, though, especially as the year progresses.

When you go on AT, everything is paid for. If the unit has ADT (another form of active duty), everything is paid for, but a unit only has so much money to go around to everyone.

Lastly, there are additional drills, but those are just like IDTs when it comes to travel. Travel is on your dime.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
Thanks for the response Gatordev!

1. What happens after 90 days? Am I stuck with that unit indef?

2. What does IAP stand for?

3. Picking up the phone now, lol =0

So i'll see what's available for funding and where that leads me. I'm hoping to just twist my recruiter's arm into finding me something closer or as you suggested waiting for a billet to open up.

Thanks again

phrogpilot73

FWIW - you can tax deduct your travel to the reserve site, so keep track of mileage/tolls/etc. Also, when you do any period of active duty (ADOS for us, ADSW for Navy guys) your orders originate at your home address, vice your unit - and you submit a full travel claim.

exNavyOffRec

The NRD's have been told if we put a person in one of those 90 day billets that if they don't find a permanent billet they will be discharged at 90 days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks for the response Gatordev!

1. What happens after 90 days? Am I stuck with that unit indef?

I'm not sure. So far, people magically disappear from my RUAD when they're IAP, but those have had specific issues that have led to the removal. Give me a few weeks and I might be able to tell you. But basically, to a unit, it's like closing time at a bar. "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here..."

2. What does IAP stand for?

Something I was trying to figure out the other day. I just can't remember, but I'll try to see about an answer tomorrow.

The NRD's have been told if we put a person in one of those 90 day billets that if they don't find a permanent billet they will be discharged at 90 days.

I find that hard to believe. Maybe for an accession, but not for someone who's established. It's actually pretty hard to get rid of a SELRES (unless they just don't show up). Big Reserves don't really care where a body goes, they just plug bodies into available billets...operational demands be damned. Basically they'll just make the person someone else's problem.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not sure. So far, people magically disappear from my RUAD when they're IAP, but those have had specific issues that have led to the removal. Give me a few weeks and I might be able to tell you. But basically, to a unit, it's like closing time at a bar. "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here..."

Something I was trying to figure out the other day. I just can't remember, but I'll try to see about an answer tomorrow.

I find that hard to believe. Maybe for an accession, but not for someone who's established. It's actually pretty hard to get rid of a SELRES (unless they just don't show up). Big Reserves don't really care where a body goes, they just plug bodies into available billets...operational demands be damned. Basically they'll just make the person someone else's problem.

yes it is for DCO that was what they were specifically talking about.

dustydog

pilot
IAP = In assignment processing. It means you are a SELRES not in a paid billet on somebody's RUAD. It can also mean that you are IA fodder.

exNavyOffRec

I am be off here, but are you saying that after the excruciating long application process, that if approved and you don't get a billet, they'll drop you?

I will use terminology that makes sense to me and I believe the other will be able to understand, some recruiters would put DCO's in "false billets" they didn't really exist but it was a way for a person to be assigned to a NOSC and drill, normally a person is moved into a "real billet" shortly after but if after 90 days a person isn't moved they were dropped to I believe the IRR.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
IAP = In assignment processing. It means you are a SELRES not in a paid billet on somebody's RUAD. It can also mean that you are IA fodder.

Thanks, I think i'm starting to understand this a bit better.

I will use terminology that makes sense to me and I believe the other will be able to understand, some recruiters would put DCO's in "false billets" they didn't really exist but it was a way for a person to be assigned to a NOSC and drill, normally a person is moved into a "real billet" shortly after but if after 90 days a person isn't moved they were dropped to I believe the IRR.

Wow this would suck,

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
Thanks guys, you been a big help!

So basically I'm from San Antonio, TX and I'll be drilling in Ft. Worth (700 miles round trip). If I remain in this "Soft" billet after 90 days I might be "dropped" to IRR?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to get "stuck" driving 700 miles every month for years to come.

=(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks guys, you been a big help!

So basically I'm from San Antonio, TX and I'll be drilling in Ft. Worth (700 miles round trip). If I remain in this "Soft" billet after 90 days I might be "dropped" to IRR?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm going to get "stuck" driving 700 miles every month for years to come.

=(

I'd recommend you talk to Manpower at your NOSC and get the story straight from them. I understand what NavyOffRec is saying, but I find the reality of it dubious. I've been trying to remove someone for several months, all within the normal procedures, but it's not easy to make it happen.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
I'd recommend you talk to Manpower at your NOSC and get the story straight from them. I understand what NavyOffRec is saying, but I find the reality of it dubious. I've been trying to remove someone for several months, all within the normal procedures, but it's not easy to make it happen.

So you think the NavyRec is giving me the "run around" ? Does it make a difference if I haven''t received my COMMDOCS yet? Here is where i'm at in the process:

Interviewed
Selected
SF-86 completed and submitted
Recruiter is trying to find me a billet (trying, ughh)
MEPs (next week)

exNavyOffRec

So you think the NavyRec is giving me the "run around" ? Does it make a difference if I haven''t received my COMMDOCS yet? Here is where i'm at in the process:

Interviewed
Selected
SF-86 completed and submitted
Recruiter is trying to find me a billet (trying, ughh)
MEPs (next week)

If he is trying to find you a billet that means he is doing the right thing, what has NRC all wound up is people not doing that and just putting them in a false billet.