• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SOAR

Pags

N/A
pilot
Actually I remember one of the Phalanxs on the Nimitz not being able to decide which of the two inbound ASCM's to shoot down, then not firing at either, of being a somewhat realistic portrayal of how a weapon system could fail for a simple reason (not knowing anything about the Phalanx itself).
I think for it to be more realistic it should have been that the CIWS was down so it just sat there like a big white trash can and was immolated by an ASCM.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Actually I remember one of the Phalanxs on the Nimitz not being able to decide which of the two inbound ASCM's to shoot down, then not firing at either, of being a somewhat realistic portrayal of how a weapon system could fail for a simple reason (not knowing anything about the Phalanx itself).
That's a decent example, even if that exact thing wouldn't happen in real life (not knowing anything about the phalanx myself either). If we went back to the 1950s then the idea of an F-4 outmaneuvering an SA-2—or our own expensive missiles' performance against "obsolete" Soviet point defense fighters—would probably be the stuff of adventure novels too.

At any rate, it makes movies and books more fun.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think for it to be more realistic it should have been that the CIWS was down so it just sat there like a big white trash can and was immolated by an ASCM.
That would be the original NSSM, just a big square gray trash can- with automatic lids!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I think that if Tom Clancy had included an amphib-herc in his books he’d still be alive and writing!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That scene reads a little differently after having cruised on Nimitz, and realizing that hit would have wiped out my squadron's ready room. ?

number9

Contributor
Someone once told me that CIWS stands for "Captain, It Won't Shoot" and I've never been able to get it out of my head.

Someone else once told me that a Chinook looks like two palm trees fucking a dumpster, and I haven't been able to get that one out either.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Someone once told me that CIWS stands for "Captain, It Won't Shoot" and I've never been able to get it out of my head.

Someone else once told me that a Chinook looks like two palm trees fucking a dumpster, and I haven't been able to get that one out either.
"Christ It Won't Shoot" is also acceptable.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That scene reads a little differently after having cruised on Nimitz, and realizing that hit would have wiped out my squadron's ready room. ?
If you figure the books take place sometime in 198X I'm sure you many folks would wonder why a kid was in there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

During one of my mid cruises on a DDG, someone had taped a cartoon to one of the CIWS boxes in CIC that was the CIWS mount with sunglasses, two cartoon arms, and a blind man's cane. The caption was "C-WHAT?"

number9

Contributor
"Christ It Won't Shoot" is also acceptable.
Some guy on Reddit made these, which I think are pretty great:

20210610_120117.jpg