• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SOAR

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If you would like other examples of "look at me doing stuff," take a look at the news media in the summer of 2005. Or January of 2010. The Navy was quite busy doing some cool things there and it's well documented.
But as a counter to that, when HCS-4 had their mishap in Iraq c2007~2008, Airlant actual was surprised to learn there were Navy helicopters on the ground there doing in country SOF stuff... which they'd been doing for a few years by then (the 2515th det in Kuwait, flying missions across the border into Iraq notwithstanding).

We spend a lot on the bread and butter stuff (as we should) but we also seem to avoid the high end stuff. I mean institutionally we avoid it and instead we pay lip service to it by having regular line squadrons train a little bit on it, but with the implicit understanding that they're a few tiers down the list if the balloon ever goes up.

But were navy folks wearing HGU-84s in those stories? Because Chuck doesn't want anything to do with stories about USN helos unless the crew has on HGU-56s and/or a seat pan survival rifle or is getting a valor award.
Ouch!

offsides-soimarriedanaxemurderer.gif

Jim123

pilot
Do we call that the “Reverse Tu-4 Maneuver?”
Maybe the Russians built a few easter eggs into the Caspian Sea Monster in the hope that foreign espions would simply copy the feature- kinda like revenge for the splitter thing on the MiG-23 air intake that's supposedly a copy of what's on the F-4.

Jim123

pilot
Covert infil and exfil? Ditch that noisy float equipped C-130. I got the most covert SpecOps air asset in the world right here. Of course, those famous visionaries @Pags and @Flash will detest it.

View attachment 32732
Put a giant flexible TV screen on top of that and invent something called "active camouflage." The powerpoint title screen could have some clever graphic of a mashup between a chamæleon and a Klingon cloaking device. Betcha we could get a lot of DARPA money for that idea!

Leverage that active camouflage with sophisticated jamming and it would be stealthiness would be ultra-synergistic (mostly because I want to use the word synergistic in the sales pitch).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Put a giant flexible TV screen on top of that and invent something called "active camouflage." The powerpoint title screen could have some clever graphic of a mashup between a chamæleon and a Klingon cloaking device. Betcha we could get a lot of DARPA money for that idea!

Leverage that active camouflage with sophisticated jamming and it would be stealthiness would be ultra-synergistic (mostly because I want to use the word synergistic in the sales pitch).
So, we get the DARPA money for that, kill the LTA program, and use the technology and remaining funding for the A/S-3C Viking Warrior. Am I ready for Program Management or Acquisition?