• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So who can tell me....about OCS, TBS and tattoos?

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
When I went through, they made you get the buzz on day one or two then all you HAD to get cut after that was the sides and back. Most people went ahead and got the top trimmed to match. Not me. I looked that that guy in Kid n' Play by the time I graduated. That was my weird little protest to "the Man". I have no idea why. Just thought it was funny.

EDIT: Just realized that you were referring to Marine OCS. Forget what I just said.

murryton

pilot
Wow...big job fair is a way of describing it that I've never thought of. Who gave you that impression?

b0pric01

pilot
The black guy, master baber Percel or something like that, was good too, and he took his time and did it right. He also drove a ballin el camino with a little cowl hood.

b0pric01

pilot
You want something "exciting" and then list 3 of the most boring jobs in the Marine Corps?

LOL

I promise you that TBS will offer you far more exposure to different MOS's than you ever wanted. In fact, the MOS mixers (job fairs) usually have a waiting line to talk to the 5 MOS's you specifically mentioned not wanting, so you shouldn't have a hard time waltzing right up to the few that actually interest you.

I guess he just misunderstood what arkham said.

GeorgiaMarine

I really don't know much about TBS. I can't really find good information on each MOS, the MOS school length and exactly what goes on at TBS. I have seen a few videos but nothing special.

I just want to pick the best three jobs that will give job satisfaction and be good for the family...

murryton

pilot
Best jobs for the family probably don't include you wanting to deploy, which is what you'll do no matter what. You don't want infantry, artillery, armor, intel, combat engineer, MP, or aviation. Not to insult you, but why do you want to be a Marine officer?

Lonestar155

is good to go
I really don't know much about TBS. I can't really find good information on each MOS, the MOS school length and exactly what goes on at TBS. I have seen a few videos but nothing special.

I just want to pick the best three jobs that will give job satisfaction and be good for the family...

I was the first to reply to your question with a site that provides you with a good understanding of the The Basic School and MOS(s)! Go invest your time there.

Kodiak

Chill out tlord...

I was misinformed. It's been a long time since I spoke with a Marine OSO.

GeorgiaMarine, take what I said earlier as incorrect.

Ha, great attitude you have. Being that you have not been to The Basic School, please provide us with more incorrect information.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Chill out tlord...

I was misinformed. It's been a long time since I spoke with a Marine OSO.

So if you have dated 3rd hand information, why even chime in at all?
--
Georgia Marine: The link posted earlier will provide good basic information.

When you get to TBS you will have a lot of time to think about what you want to do, and access to people who have that particular job and can provide you with even more information. Furthermore, several times throughout the period of instruction, you will have classes and "mixers" where you will learn about all the MOS's.

I wouldn't get too wrapped around the handle with it, by the time you get to TBS and it's time for you to start putting down your MOS list, you will have a good idea of what you want.

Edit: Funny, this sounds like what I read when people ask what kind of aircraft they should pick on AW.com...

jdnew

No, you don't have to put infantry in your top 3. At least when I was there, there was not need too. There were always plenty that wanted infantry. But only some were selected. From what I saw, it was an honor to select infantry. They wern't just throwing people over to IOC. You know what happens over there? I guessing you don't if you havn't been. Good luck getting folks to talk about it.
You may have to put a non-combat arms in your top 5 (my class did.) But, from what you've said that shouldnt' be a problem.

GeorgiaMarine

Did not go air because I am 28 (cut off was 27.5 at commissioning) and I only got a 48 4/5/4 on the ASTB. Plus, there are more ground options that interest me.

Just needed more info :)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm failry certain that "you must put infantry in your top 3" is some bastardized version of "you can't put ALL combat arms in your top 5." Funny how that works.

GaMarine-You would probably like logistics or intel, ground intel excluded. Comm would also be good for you depending on what kind of unit you got sent to.

Before MOS selection you absolutely will know what you want. It'll be an "illusion of knowing" but at least you'll know what you want.

Proxie

pilot
When you show up, I would have (at a minimum) a high and tight. You will have the opportunity to get a hair cut on the weekend, but believe, you don't want to have a questionable haircut during the week (i.e. it has grown out).
Unless, of course, you like being singled out by the Sgt Instructors...

Ric Hard

I agree with usmarinemike, Logistics and Ground Intel seem to be the best options for you. However Ground Intel would require you to head to IOC before you go to Ground Intel School in Dam Creek.

Additionally, like others have mentioned, you want and exciting job that does not keep you at a desk but you don't like infantry, intel, armor, combat eng., mp, etc.......Maybe you should get through TBS, get some good gouge from the instructors and make an educated decision about what you want to do.