• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So who can tell me....about OCS, TBS and tattoos?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GAMarine...lectures about initiative and motivation aside, I think what might be most beneficial to you is learning when to stop digging a hole with your mouth (or keyboard, in this case). See those wings by teabag's name? Yeah, he's an officer. You're not. Most of us here have learned the hard way that nothing good comes of telling someone senior to you to fuck off. If there was a misunderstanding, you say, "Sorry for the misunderstanding," and exit the fight. Period. Quit trying to get in the last word and quit trying to make teabag understand that he hurt your feelings and you don't like being judged.

E26

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's called for here as well.

Anyways, here's some good advice. Follow it :D

deep-shit.jpg

8WOOD

Every cutter there (2009) is great except one lady, and don't get me wrong the finished product is just the same as the others, but the process is painful...So if you're hardcore try to get her.

Our instructors said we were acting like week 1 candidates...so at about 6 weeks out somehow we all ended up with week 1 hair cuts.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Hopefully you've figured out that the tattoo policy applies to ALL Marines.... enlisted and officer. There's nothing wrong with officers having tattoos (I have 3) but any new tattoo that you get can't be visible in PT gear. If it is, you screwed up.

b0pric01

pilot
Every cutter there (2009) is great except one lady, and don't get me wrong the finished product is just the same as the others, but the process is painful...So if you're hardcore try to get her.

Our instructors said we were acting like week 1 candidates...so at about 6 weeks out somehow we all ended up with week 1 hair cuts.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You didn't even go to OCS. You are not a Mormon.

8WOOD

You have no idea what you are talking about. You didn't even go to OCS. You are not a Mormon.

Price! I don't know what to say....O i know.... another southern person telling me what I do and don't do, and what I do and don't believe in. Seriously wasn't the lady barber harsh?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never understood this lecture on initiative. If you can convince someone to do something for you when they would not normally be inclined to do it, wouldn't that display a high level of initiative?

On the part of which person? If you are the influencer, it's not iniitiative. If you have been influenced to do something, you can't take full credit for initiative if any at all.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
On the oart of which person? If you are the influencer, it's not iniitiative. If you have been influenced to do something, you can't take full credit for initiative if any at all.

My point is this: why would you bother to search if you could get people to answer your oft-asked questions (they are often responded to without the plethora of: "use the search responses," and are just answered straight up; milelage varies with douchebaggery, but not always)

That being said, I think the tangential nature of most of the threads here contains a value all of its own and makes it worth it to read through them.

I just don't buy that someone asking previously-answered questions here displays a lack of initiative. If they didn't have any initiative, they would not be asking questions on AirWarriors.

But what the fuck do I know.

teabag53

pilot
I would argue that it would be easier to find better information by just referencing the regs. Also, one may then have a leg to stand on instead of "___________from this website said..." I suppose I should have added poor use of time in there lacking initiaive and lazy.

Personally, I'd be wary of just taking the word of some faceless person on the interwebs instead of figuring it out to the best of my ability beforehand. That said, this site is very helpful when it comes to interpretation and application of regs as there is a bank of different experiences.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
it'll be 5 1/2 yrs as a Capt when I pin on Major next spring... I was selected on my first look in zone. I think 5 yrs is the current going rate for Capt to Major.

SF

I was a 1stLt for 2.5 years and guys right behind me took 3 years to pin on Capt but that was due to stop loss in the 2001-2003 timeframe. I was a Capt for exactly 6 years when I pinned on Major this past September. It all depends on how many they need to promote, your date of rank, fitreps, blah blah blah. Do your PME, don't get a DUI/ARI, run a 1st class PFT, don't be fat and you'll easily get promoted to Maj (in aviation anyway, can't speak to the ground side).

I prefer that people ask questions if they are unsure about something before they do something stupid. I MUCH prefer if they ask questions like "I read MCO P1020.34G concerning the tattoo policy but I have a question about......". Some people just don't know where to find MARADMINS/MCOs or don't know how to read them. When I was at VT-86, I'd get blank stares from some of the Marines when I'd ask them if they read such and such MARADMIN. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.