• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So what exactly happens during physical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

I am getting a physical tomorrow and I just wanted to know what will happen? Does anyone know what the military docs do? :icon_what

you meen your physical at MEPS? Ah, it's pretty much like any other physical with a few things added. They check your eyes and hearing and (well for me) checked to "make sure I was a girl", they check you for drugs, and to see if you're pg, take some blood, and they make you get in your undies and do a bunch of random things... it's no big deal really though.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never had to go to MEPS. Since I was going the marine route, they skipped MEPS and sent me to Corpus to get my flight physical instead. They checked my eyes, my hearing, took lots of blood, checked my teeth, x-rayed my chest and measured various parts of my body to see how well I would fit in a cockpit. They were really nice and respectful and they did NOT check any 'personal' areas. The flight surgeon simply asked when my last pap was and asked if I had ever had any major problems. We didn't have to be there until 7am and we were done by lunch time. However, I've heard that MEPS is completely different... more of a 'cattle call' type environment with a less than enthusiastic staff. Either physical you have, make sure to get enough rest the night before. Good Luck!

Sailorman1982 said:
I am getting a physical tomorrow and I just wanted to know what will happen? Does anyone know what the military docs do? :icon_what

binary_choice

Final Select SNA
Oh, and eat/drink something the morning of... I made the mistake of not eating anything and almost passed out when they took blood... it was actually funny...

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
binary_choice said:
Oh, and eat/drink something the morning of... I made the mistake of not eating anything and almost passed out when they took blood... it was actually funny...

MAKE SURE YOU'RE ALLOWED TO EAT/DRINK BEFORE!!! They made me fast for 24 hours before and the only thing I was allowed to drink was water. Be careful with this one. If they instruct you to not eat or drink, and you do anyway, they will refuse to take your blood and reschedule your physical!

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
NeoCortex said:
if you didn't eat didn't your blood work show you as anemic(sp?)

Depending on what blood tests they're running, they need for you to not eat or drink anything besides water. They even say that consumption of any substance/liquid containing anything other than H20 will skew the results and they will have to retest. Bear in mind that this is for the flight physical... I'm not sure how MEPS does it. My physical was at the base in Corpus. Besides, fasting for a day is not going to lower your Hb levels enough to make you appear anemic. However, the fasting will help provide accurate glucose (which will indicate things like diabetes and hypoglycemia) and tryglyceride readings, along with several others. If you have any further questions, I can put you in touch with a military doctor who can also explain this to you. :)

NCSU_Navy

They put us (Bunch of Army, AF, and Navy applicants) up at a Holiday Inn across from MEPS. They gave us meal vouchers for both dinner and breakfast and then bused us over to MEPS. Apparently eating was not an issue for the Raleigh MEPS.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kycntryboy said:
They served us breakfast before we left..... also prepare to bend over and say ahhhh.

I'm so glad I didn't have to go to MEPS! I got to skip that and just go have my flight physical. They most certainly didn't make me bend over...

Eteled

Are enlisted and officers candidates lumped together at MEPS? Also, my pre-screen had special listed for the type of physical. What does this mean?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I didn't get mine done at MEPS, I had mine done at National Naval Medical Center; but they did lump enlisted and officer candidates together. We all just went station to station as soon as we were finished. Only took about 5 hours total.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Eteled,
Yes at MEPS everyone goes through together. I was the only officer candidate there the day I went. I have no idea what special listed is, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.