• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So...Pods? Anyone?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Revisiting the thread, as I'm looking at PODS to help with what might be a multi-stage move. It's been 6 years since I've done a government move, so I'm sure my data is dated (other than move.mil probably still sucks), but here's the general idea...

• Would still do a government-packed move for the bulk of my items.
  • Would also do a partial-DITY for a car and potentially the idea of using a PODS.

Here's where I'm fuzzy on the details... In the past, a partial-DITY would cover more than one vehicle's mileage and weight (assuming a dependent). With a PODS, how does that work, or would it even work? I'm not concerned about making money, and even paying a little, if it allows me to move some stuff that I know the government won't move.

Under the normal p-DITY construct, you'd have the UHaul rental agreement and the POV registration to prove things were moved. So are you able to use the PODS rental agreement in leiu of the UHaul paperwork? I asked PODS if they give tare and loaded weights and they said they do (for a fee) if it's a military move.

I'm sure I could ask these questions to the HHG office on base and they would be super-helpful and fast on answering them...or not...so figured I'd start here.

FWIW, I was quoted for a across the country move to be $3200 for a 16' container and $2200 for a 7'. Again, this isn't meant to move the full house, just some odds and ends that won't fit with the other odds and ends already loaded into a car.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Revisiting the thread, as I'm looking at PODS to help with what might be a multi-stage move. It's been 6 years since I've done a government move, so I'm sure my data is dated (other than move.mil probably still sucks), but here's the general idea...

• Would still do a government-packed move for the bulk of my items.
  • Would also do a partial-DITY for a car and potentially the idea of using a PODS.
Here's where I'm fuzzy on the details... In the past, a partial-DITY would cover more than one vehicle's mileage and weight (assuming a dependent). With a PODS, how does that work, or would it even work? I'm not concerned about making money, and even paying a little, if it allows me to move some stuff that I know the government won't move.

Under the normal p-DITY construct, you'd have the UHaul rental agreement and the POV registration to prove things were moved. So are you able to use the PODS rental agreement in leiu of the UHaul paperwork? I asked PODS if they give tare and loaded weights and they said they do (for a fee) if it's a military move.

I'm sure I could ask these questions to the HHG office on base and they would be super-helpful and fast on answering them...or not...so figured I'd start here.

FWIW, I was quoted for a across the country move to be $3200 for a 16' container and $2200 for a 7'. Again, this isn't meant to move the full house, just some odds and ends that won't fit with the other odds and ends already loaded into a car.
I just did Whidbey to Norfolk in July. We used UPack. 23' trailer that they dropped off and picked up within a day of me calling for $5800. I believe you can actually buy portions of trailers by the foot. They were great to work with.