• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So...Pods? Anyone?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, with the ever popular PCS move looming, I was doing the usual agonzing over whether I wanted to do a DITY move :)yuck_125:) to pocket some cash, or just let the government brea...I mean move my stuff again.

Then a POD caught my eye. I had heard that they are "very very expensive" for x-country moves, but when I got a quote it seemed fairly reasonable. If you include gas in the Uhaul price they actually are slightly cheaper. Anyone have any experience using them?

For those who are unfamiliar...
www.pods.com

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You are moving from where to where?

As far as PODS go, dunno... never used'em and such. I think my wife looked at it when she moved to P-Cola after we got married, and went against it b/c it wasn't very cost effective. Was cheaper for her to rent a van and drive the stuff from Philly to P-Cola, then drive the van back to Philly.

MasterBates

I looked at that when I PCS'd from JAX to Corpus..

How much $$? I ended up doing a Partial-DITY with my pickup and a 6x12 Uhaul.

I looked into the POD but I had 10 days from the day I got orders to the day I had to be IN corpus. They couldn't swing the leadtime. Also some compaines such as ABF Motor Freight will drop a Pup Trailer or "Pack Cube" (think POD) off at your house for you to load, then they bring it with their truck, and drop it off at your new place.

www.upack.com

I believe Yellow Motor Freight and SAIA motor freight have similar programs.

Check Broadway Freight as well

Don't know how you get the weight tickets from them or PODS though. Have to call and ask. Let them know you are being reimbursed by the pound and they should know how to get you one.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I looked into PODS and they were very $$$. couple that with the fact that yours truly would do all the heavy lifting and I decided to let the Navy's guys do the work for me.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Scoob - Our mutual buddy in Corpus did a POD move out from Whiting to Corpus and ended up losing money. Talk to him for details.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I did the Upack thing for my wife a few years back right before we got married. It was waaay cheaper than the PODs and really easy to do and timely as well. Move was from Denver to Seattle. That was all out of pocket of course. It made the most sense for us at the time since she had to drive her car and I couldn't see her towing that with a truck across the country without me to help. (I couldn't travel at the time)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've done a DITY move before and I'll NEVER EVER do it again. The money ain't anywhere near worth the hassle, and it's not all that much money anyway.

Partial DITY on the other hand, is one of the few good Navy deals left. You get paid to move stuff you were going to move yourself anyway. Bit of a hassle getting the weight tickets, and it takes a geologic era to get the money back, but it's still cashey money.

PODS is a good deal if, for example, you want to move out of your apartment/small house during a deployment.

MasterBates

Scoober is well aware of the pain of DITY Moves.. Since he seems to get hurt worse than me while moving my stuff.

However, I did make $1400 a trip on average between Krock and Corpus.. 3 moves between the 2 and counting.. Maybe $150 in expenses with Uhaul, buying help food, and gas. Took about one day each time.

phrogpilot73

I've never done the PODS thing, but my buddy did and he made money. Of course, he was moving from Jacksonville, NC to Raleigh, NC...

MasterBates

Here is what I got back from ABF for a "3 bedroom house" from Corpus to JAX

Origin: FLOUR BLUFF, TX
Destination: JACKSONVILLE, FL
Move Date: NOVEMBER 14, 2007
Estimated Transit: 4 Business Days
Need Guaranteed or Expedited Transit?
Make Your Reservation E-mail or Change Your Quote

Partial Trailer Options
Move Type 16 Feet of Space
Door-To-Door $2123

Adjustment Price Per Foot + / - $107

Includes all taxes and fuel costs.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My first PCS was a full DITY... but then, I had so little stuff, I just rented a 5X8 Uhaul trailer, hitched it to the back of my Jeep, loaded my crap and drove off.

Second PCS (P-Cola to Oak Harbor), two car partial DITY. I drove via S.Diego, and my wife and mini-me stopped in the S.F. area... made sh*t-tons of money from mileage, per diem etc. Still waiting to get the money from all the crap we piled into the cars.

Next move will hopefully be to Japan, so no partial DITY there... unless I can find a way to purchase and learn to fly a 747.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Here is what I got back from ABF for a "3 bedroom house" from Corpus to JAX

Origin: FLOUR BLUFF, TX
Destination: JACKSONVILLE, FL
Move Date: NOVEMBER 14, 2007
Estimated Transit: 4 Business Days
Need Guaranteed or Expedited Transit?
Make Your Reservation E-mail or Change Your Quote

Partial Trailer Options
Move Type 16 Feet of Space
Door-To-Door $2123

Adjustment Price Per Foot + / - $107

Includes all taxes and fuel costs.

I don't know? Is $2123 a good price? Is that 16 feet deep into a standard 53' trailer? Whats your estimated weight or weight from last PCS?

MasterBates

That's in a 26 or 28' Pup Trailer (same dimensions, just shorter)

53's are generally only used for interstate freight. ABF, Yellow, etc are LTL (Less than Truck Load) carriers that specialize in making not-full runs. What they do with these is charge you for your share of the truck, then fill the rest with opportune cargo going your way.

Standard truck trailers are 26-28ft Pups, 40, 48 and 53 boxes.

Pups and 40s are legal everywhere, 48s and 53s have restrictions on where they can go, both legally, and just due to size. You will often see Pups "Doubled" or sometimes tripled. 40 & 48 doubles are not uncommon.

Max GCW for nationwide is 80,000 pounds, although some states have higher allowed weights depending on your axle configuration. I commonly pulled a 12,000 gallon gas/oil tanker weighing about 104K out of the Boston area.

/trucking industry lesson

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
We've since decided that since neither of us want to pack all our bs...in a Pod or otherwise, that we are just going to get a smaller truck (16-20') and pack the easy stuff for a partial DITY to Jax. Should still be able to make some money and not have to deal with moving furniture, dishes etc...

Thanks for all the input.