• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, HTs now have a new selection out of Advanced?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
...HUQ-1 debacle...
What can you tell us about this? I have a friend in the squadron and he makes it sound like they were manned and standing by, but got no equipment or support. Was the debacle behind the scenes at higher echelons or was it at the unit level? Feel free to PM if necessary. Thanks!

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
...HUQ-1 debacle...
What can you tell us about this? I have a friend in the squadron and he makes it sound like they were manned and standing by, but got no equipment or support. Was the debacle behind the scenes at higher echelons or was it at the unit level? Feel free to PM if necessary. Thanks!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know a damn thing. First I heard about it was when we got back from cruise.

Anyway, not my problem. Six weeks and I'll be back in an E-2.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
-46 and -48 are the Lant expeditionary HSMs. -60 is the only one still designated as HSL that I'm aware of. But I understood the redesignation had more to do with transitioning to the Romeo than any actual mission change.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
-46 and -48 are the Lant expeditionary HSMs. -60 is the only one still designated as HSL that I'm aware of. But I understood the redesignation had more to do with transitioning to the Romeo than any actual mission change.

Correct. That's all I was getting at. HSM=transition. LAMPS=a state of mind. LAMPS 4 Life!

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
When you say expeditionary do you mean DET to a small boy lifestyle like the old HSL way of doing things? Or are they land basing?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When you say expeditionary do you mean DET to a small boy lifestyle like the old HSL way of doing things? Or are they land basing?

It means non-airwing. Historically that meant det to a small boy, though there are occassional other types of deployments. In ye olden days, Firescout was actually sent out with AC HSL squadrons, mostly on CD Ops. It then promptly broke several days out at sea. The concept of HSL, and then HSM, being part of the air wing is relatively new, starting with HSL-47. Initially the Romeo transition happened to air wing squadrons first, then the expeditionary guys started to get it.

Short answer: Yes.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brick-Tamland3.jpg

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The concept of HSL, and then HSM, being part of the air wing is relatively new, starting with HSL-37.

Funny how every HSL/M squadron likes to claim to be the first to "Deploy" on a carrier, or "integrate" with the air wing, etc. yet -51 was doing it in Japan before most of these jokers knew anything about CV ops. I laughed reading all their lessons learned, first proof of concept drivel knowing that if they had talked to the guys already doing it, their lives would have been easier.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Funny how every HSL/M squadron likes to claim to be the first to "Deploy" on a carrier, or "integrate" with the air wing, etc. yet -51 was doing it in Japan before most of these jokers knew anything about CV ops. I laughed reading all their lessons learned, first proof of concept drivel knowing that if they had talked to the guys already doing it, their lives would have been easier.

At least quote what I wrote...

Yeah, I wasn't sure on what the timeline was for -51. I knew they deployed with the air wing, but wasn't clear on when or even if they were actually part of the air wing (unlike -77). I debated putting that in my post, but wasn't sure how accurate my statement would be either way. Back before -47 did B-to-Sea, were they part of the air wing?

The L was for light, not LAMPS, right?

LAMPS was the system of systems that made up the helo, the racks, the boat side stuff, hawklink, etc...correct?

The "L" is for Light. The "Light" came from "Light Airborne Multi-Purpose System." So yes, you're technically right, the name of the squadron (HSL) was "Light," but it was based off LAMPS. Obviously the -60 is not light. The name came from the difference between the MK1 (the H-2) and the HS world of H-3s.

(Pags, I'm guessing you know that last part, just clarifying).

Fun fact: The LAMPS MK2 was a UAV/UAS/whatever. So basically, we've ended up where we started, except Firescout actually returns to Mom (usually).

robav8r

None
Contributor
Fun fact: The LAMPS MK2 was a UAV/UAS/whatever. So basically, we've ended up where we started, except Firescout actually returns to Mom (usually).
Actually, the precursor to the LAMPS MK I (SH-2F) was a remote controlled rotorcraft called DASH. Carried two MK-44 torpedos. And yes, with FS, we have come full circle.