• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, HTs now have a new selection out of Advanced?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, the precursor to the LAMPS MK I (SH-2F) was a remote controlled rotorcraft called DASH. Carried two MK-44 torpedos. And yes, with FS, we have come full circle.

I could have sworn the DASH was the MK II, but Wikipedia says no, so you must be right! Seriously though, thanks for the correction.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think LAMPS II was supposed to be a "super LAMPS" for the H-2, but it was decided that the equipment was too big/heavy; thus the decision to adapt the H-60 and thus the LAMPS III.

But it gets better WRT Fire Scout: FFG-7s were originally designed to carry DASH; the design was too far along when DASH was cancelled to change it. Thus the UH-2 (which up til that point was the Navy utility helo) was modified into the SH-2 because it would fit in the same footprint. So it's sorta ironic that the technology has finally come along far enough to fly drone helos off OHPs, as originally intended.

But it's not really full-circle...again, FS isn't robo-LAMPS, not intended to be, and there's no interest in making it into one (let alone any funding). There are some guys looking into what else FS can do to support maritime missions, but that's about it. It's an ISR platform, and there are currently places and missions where it's advantageous to fly your ISR platform off a ship. '

Look, I just did this mission for a full deployment. Believe me, you really wouldn't want to do it in a -60.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Would love to hear about the mission and your involvement as a "double anchor" bubba :)

Obviously Fester can elaborate, but the RC solicits/voluntells both single and double-anchor dudes as the operators and then AW(X)s as sensor operators. It's a point and click system, so I guess that's how they can legally do it.

One of my guys was on the det before Fester's and it sounded like they were doing some legit tasking off one of the troubled countries. I have another guy on the det now (that followed Fester's), but I'm not really sure which troubled country he was heading for.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Obviously Fester can elaborate, but the RC solicits/voluntells both single and double-anchor dudes as the operators and then AW(X)s as sensor operators. It's a point and click system, so I guess that's how they can legally do it.

One of my guys was on the det before Fester's and it sounded like they were doing some legit tasking off one of the troubled countries. I have another guy on the det now (that followed Fester's), but I'm not really sure which troubled country he was heading for.

Legit tasking, yes. Exciting, no. Same troubled country; there's lots of work there.

There's been at least one NFO Fire Scout AVO before me (Prowler ECMO, I think?). There's also been a pretty significant number of fixed-wing and non-boat-helo 131X types. Personally, I think a rudimentary knowledge of RW dynamics is helpful, but it's not a pre-req. On one hand, it is point-and-click, and TO/landings are on pre-programmed routes, so it doesn't require stick-and-rudder skills. On the other hand, it's pure instrument flying with no external references, so an AVO needs to be able to recognize trouble developing just based on the gauges, and be experienced enough to anticipate trouble and stay out of it. For the most part, the VMC won't let you break the AV, but it's also a very dumb, very literal-minded copilot.