• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So how do I measure up?

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I got a 254.... How is that for an air contract for OCC 190? The Lt. that gave me the PFT said they want a 250 or better for pre-ship so I guess that I did pretty well for preboard?

I am confident I can get over a 270. I did 20 pullups, 81 crunches, and ran in 22:37. I don't know why I botched the crunches. If I could get 19 more I would have a 273. I am gonna try another PFT before the board convenes but I just wanted to see if I did alright?

zacharyj53

Not bad...

But seriously...There is a USMC saying dealing with crunches...If you didn't get 100...You didn't have a bad day...You had a bad counter...They must be in your head...Because if you can get 20 pullups you should have no problem with 100 crunches.

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
that is pretty good, just nail those crunches, forget about doing an over all ab routine, just do crunches the Marine way every day

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Cool. Hopefully I can get another one in before the board but I don't know b/c of my hectic work schedule. What is competitive for air contracts these days? I have heard over 250.

man I get 20 pullups too.. but only 79 crunchs ... i dont know what my problem is.. 19 minute run tho.. when i contracted.. havent done my preboard.. i want those 100 crunchs too

Raptor2216

Pay attention to your technique b/c I went from 85-90 to 100+ just by changing my technique. It's kind of hard to explain it with words but have your OSO show you. I can guarantee you that you can hit 100+ without a problem.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
I am not worried about being able to get 100. My concern is getting selected. Is a 253 competitive enough to get me the shot at OCS on an air contract?

stevo01

not to be negative..but the fall class(190) is the hardest go get into. january would be the easiest..

J-Do

20 pull-ups

Hey you all. To anyone who has acheived 20-pullups, when you were still working to acheive that goal, where you doing pullups on and off throughout the day everyday or just sticking to doing your pullup workout for only one time slot throughout the day?

you don't want to do pullups every day.. your lats (back) need some rest... every 3 days do 5 sets to failure.. and years ago when I first started doing pullups I had a buddy hold under my knees to stablize me so I could pump out a few extra.. and that was a big help in the long haul..

fencipede

Texas is the Rock
I just stick with my once a day, but I also do quite a bit of rock climbing that seems to help. That being said, I alternate climbing days and pullup days. Don't want to get injured.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I would say put some breaks in every now and then depending how you feel. Just hit 17 today for the first time.

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
Just a heads up; when you get to OCS and do the indoc PFT those 20 pullups will probably be around 15. Your 79 crunches will be around 60. Your run time probably won't change. The Sgt. Instructors are notorious for being sticklers on pull up form. If you don't do it exactly right they will just repeat the same number for every pull up until you do (i.e. six....six.....six....six....). So make sure you are not cheating yourself by not doing the correct form. If you do poorly on the indoc PFT you will be put into remedial PT and not allowed to leave base for liberty (after the first 3 weeks). I knew a guy who didn't do well (I don't remember the minimum) but he didn't leave base until the week we graduated!

If you do pull ups palms forward make sure you extend all the way down until your arms lock out, then pull back up. If you do them palms out it is easier to lock out your arms, especially if you use a wider grip. Doing pull ups palms out is harder at first (if you've never done them that way before) but once you build up those muscles you will pump out 20 good pull ups no problem. A good training technique is to do pyramids. Start by doing one pull up -- then ten push ups, then two pullups -- ten push ups, three pullups --ten pushups (you get the idea), then go back down. Say you get to 7 pull ups -- ten push ups, go back to six, then five, then four, all the way to one. This works wonders. I think the good gouge is if you can get up to about 12 with pyramids, 20 pull ups will be no problem. Good luck!

E6286

OCC 191 Select
When you say "palms forward" do you mean palms away from face? That is how I currently do them. Also, I usually lock out and pause a second between. I can do about 23-24 that way now.

Crunches I am up to my 100 and my run has improved as well. I will see where I stand monday when I do my final board PFT provided these damn waivers go through soon. Arghhh.