• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, do you like it? Flying in the military? What about living on a boat?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not to mention the 2 free cans of beer after 90 days at sea.
NOT in "my" NAVY -- we had to bring our own stash aboard in a parachute bag and hide it in the a/c ducting. :D

Ahhhhhhh ... be still my beating heart!!

Fond memories of watching us refuel an Aussie tin-can while our cousins from the Land Down Under sat all over their ship after evening chow, flaunting/drinking their beer/grog cans at us and throwing the empties overboard ... all to the melodious strains of "FVCK YOU, YOU KANGAROO RAT-BASTARDS"!!! emanating from the beer-deprived parched throats of 5,000 American sailors drifting back across the water. :D:D

:icon_zbee

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not to mention the 2 free cans of beer after 90 days at sea.

As my favorite ship's CO once said (after blowing cigar smoke in his XO's face when the XO announced the smoking lamp was out),"You can have 2 beers. I can count to two--1,2,2,2,2!"

phrogpilot73

As my favorite ship's CO once said (after blowing cigar smoke in his XO's face when the XO announced the smoking lamp was out),"You can have 2 beers. I can count to two--1,2,2,2,2!"
It sounds an awful lot like my beer day. I had 10 beers total, others had more... It became clear as I was leaving the beer area (after 2) and the flight E chief yells at me "Hey sir, you haven't had your two beers yet!" I walked over and said "Yes, I have." Then he winked and said "No, you haven't."

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It sounds an awful lot like my beer day. I had 10 beers total, others had more... It became clear as I was leaving the beer area (after 2) and the flight E chief yells at me "Hey sir, you haven't had your two beers yet!" I walked over and said "Yes, I have." Then he winked and said "No, you haven't."

That worked for awhile on Bataan. The Air Boss was the source of most of my beer, then the Gunny hook-up kicked in.

All was for naught when the ships XO busted me. She was a load of fun.

Evidently she could count a lot higher than 2.

A shoe trapped in an TACCAMO body.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
THAT depends on what you're doing on cruise... while you may be doing something in the "great scheme of things", it's hard to feel like you have a purpose sometimes...

Come on man, your flights have a purpose.. everyone else needs gas. :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It's actually 45 days... and they can waive that by the way... don't depend on it.

Yep, the "Oh we'll be in port in five days" game. During ODS went 55 days and then had one off of the Bahrain Bell. "2" beers was certainly liberally interpreted (and in this case, and only this case, is liberal good :icon_wink)

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Back in 1988 on the Forrestal we were at sea with no port call for about 120 days before we had beer day.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
^I've done some drinkin with P-3 guys before, I think every day is beer day for some of them. :icon_zbee

OldNavy

NOT in "my" NAVY -- we had to bring our own stash aboard in a parachute bag and hide it in the a/c ducting. :D

Ahhhhhhh ... be still my beating heart!!

Fond memories of watching us refuel an Aussie tin-can while our cousins from the Land Down Under sat all over their ship after evening chow, flaunting/drinking their beer/grog cans at us and throwing the empties overboard ... all to the melodious strains of "FVCK YOU, YOU KANGAROO RAT-BASTARDS"!!! emanating from the beer-deprived parched throats of 5,000 American sailors drifting back across the water. :D:D

:icon_zbee

Smuggled a bottle of "French Champagne" aboard Iwo (the old one) while we were in Toulon. Planned on celebrating the outchop with my AZ buddy. When we finally had the opportunity to open it, peeled back the foil and found out the damned thing had a screw cap! Hell I could have saved the money and brought back a bottle of MD!

ice

Do you find it fun? When you wake up in the morning, do you look forward to going to work and flying? Even for those of you who have been doing it for quite some time?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of becoming a military aviator. I have no idea which branch, but the ANG looks good from where I'm standing. If you do like it, what about it do you like?

My parents are also two of the most anti-military people there are. They believe that if I join, I will become a mindless order following killer, a malevolent heartless minister of death. Now, I highly doubt this is true, however has the training and experiences in the service changed you for better or worse?