• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

so disappointed- did worse after a month of pt

WIDGET

ok, i don't know what happened to me but i officially suck.

i was at the vmi summer transition program for the last month. about 4 weeks ago, we had our initial pt test. I did 97 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and the 1.5mi in 9:19.

so i got put in pt group #1 of 8 with just one other girl and 25 guys. since then i've been pting 3 times a week really hard (since pt group 1 was just crazy hard) and do a 2 hour group sport the other 2 days and because i'm cross country, and it's a ncaa div1 school, i'm supposed to run twice a day with the cross-country team, do core exercises, pylometrics, and sprints - about 4-5 miles weekdays (on top of the running in the main pt sessions), except sundays when its 10 miles. on top of this, i have to do 3 times a week mandatory weightlifting for crosscountry, and had coach pounding on me when i tried to skip the weighttraining. i got so exhausted from all this training every day that they had to move me from PT group #1 to #3 to let me recover, but then pt group #3 caught up with #1 so that didn't help. LOL.

anyways, so after a month of all of this, did i get better? i just did the final evaluation pt test and I got 87 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and 1.5mi in 10:14. WTF?!?!?! and i swear, i did not slack off. i was going as hard as i could, i felt it was harder than when i took the 1st pt test, but i just could not match my scores from a month ago.

so what did i just pt myself to death for this last month????? totally useless!!!! :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage GRRRRRR.....

so after talking to your coach about your slower run time, has he let you stop weight lifting?
the strongest i've ever been was mid-OCS and we didn't lift a weight other than our body weight (and a rifle).
before ocs, i bought a pull-up bar and every time i went in or out of my bedroom i pumped some out. it helped a lot!
it sounds like you know you're over training. are your xc times going up? if so, i'm surprised your coach hasn't made a change in your program. what does he/she think of all of it?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I wouldn't sweat it. You're a distance athlete, right? So you're in heavy-volume training right now. You may be over-training, but even if you're training just enough, you're not going to be ready on any random day between training days to perform to your max. Throw in a little taper before your next PFT (if there's any way you can do that) and you'll probably feel like a million bucks.
Yay we have a winner.

The human body has a remarkable ability to adapt to almost anything you put it through. There is nothing wrong with a rigorous training program, but your body does need time to adapt (and 1 month probably isn't long enough). The fact that you have been doing a crazy routine all month and still scored relatively high shows that your muscles aren't completely shot, and that's a tribute to how strong the body can be.

However, you should lower your training intensity or take 24-48 hours off completely before "game day" to get peak performance, whether that be for a PFA or otherwise.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
However, you should lower your training intensity or take 24-48 hours off completely before "game day" to get peak performance, whether that be for a PFA or otherwise.

done with vmi for another 3 weeks. so i'm planning on sleeping alot until monday LOL. ;) and then resuming training.

but i've been thinking seriously about quitting cross-country. i think this sort of training schedule might cause my grades to tank. and its not like i get paid (like the scholarship athletes) to work this hard on a sport.

but it will get me off post every day LOL. so i dunno. :confused:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
CC training also isn't going to make you faster for your short runs (ie, the 1.5 mi run), since you were already at an extremely good score to begin with at sub 10 min.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
since you were already at an extremely good score to begin with at sub 10 min.

my sub-10 is gone! (but hopefully it will come back)

i'm going to take a rest as everyone says and then test myself again soon.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE! :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you want, try some cross-training too (depending on what's available to you). Try bike riding instead of running, or swimming. Swimming is a GREAT joint-safe alternative to running.

firefriendly

pilot
I always try to give my body a good 24-48 hours of rest (i.e., no PT) before a PRT/PFA. Even at OCS the DI would lay off from pounding us on the day before a PFA.

Lucky. Ours didn't seem to mind putting us on our face just before one for a "sloppy" formation.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
... initial pt test. I did 97 situps in 2mins
final evaluation pt test and I got 87 situps in 2mins

i was talking to someone else and i think i know what the problem was with my situps. i went slower because my ankles were being held looser than the first time.

on a real situp test, are your ankles supposed to be held very tightly or just loosely? does anyone else notice that if your ankles are held looser, you do fewer situps in 2mins?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
i was talking to someone else and i think i know what the problem was with my situps. i went slower because my ankles were being held looser than the first time.

on a real situp test, are your ankles supposed to be held very tightly or just loosely? does anyone else notice that if your ankles are held looser, you do fewer situps in 2mins?
Big time. At OCS I told whoever was holding to cut the circulation of in my feet and it worked. Make sure you tell your partner to not be afraid and hold you down the right way.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If you want, try some cross-training too (depending on what's available to you). Try bike riding instead of running, or swimming. Swimming is a GREAT joint-safe alternative to running.

Or use the GAZELLE

tony_little.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

It all depends. The Navy doesn't care how your feet are held, just as long as they're being held by someone or something.

For the VFT, they are anally retentive about how your feet are held, how your hands are placed on your head, and whether or not your fingers are still touching eachother. VFT sit-ups are muchos harder than Navy sit-ups. I can crack out ~65 on the VFT but I'm around 85 on the PRT.

I am also of the same opinion that the person holding my feet better cut off the circulation or otherwise my feet are coming off of the ground and they're going flying.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
For the VFT, they are anally retentive about how your feet are held, how your hands are placed on your head, and whether or not your fingers are still touching eachother. VFT sit-ups are muchos harder than Navy sit-ups.

yeah, i know. that's why i'm not able to do a single pullup on the VFT. after the vft, i was able to do 2 with a spotter because i can do pullups if i can bend my legs 90 degrees, but vft is supposed to be straight legs, and a 90 degree bend is disqualifying. with straight legs, i can't do any for some reason. and it also seems to depend on if i can get a good grip on the bar or not. the different bars at vmi all seem to have different slickness. oh well, i suppose these details will stop mattering if i can get a bit stronger in my upper body.

fun fun. i'll be showing up to vmi on 17th or 23rd depending on if i quit cross-country or not...