• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

so disappointed- did worse after a month of pt

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
ok, i don't know what happened to me but i officially suck.

i was at the vmi summer transition program for the last month. about 4 weeks ago, we had our initial pt test. I did 97 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and the 1.5mi in 9:19.

so i got put in pt group #1 of 8 with just one other girl and 25 guys. since then i've been pting 3 times a week really hard (since pt group 1 was just crazy hard) and do a 2 hour group sport the other 2 days and because i'm cross country, and it's a ncaa div1 school, i'm supposed to run twice a day with the cross-country team, do core exercises, pylometrics, and sprints - about 4-5 miles weekdays (on top of the running in the main pt sessions), except sundays when its 10 miles. on top of this, i have to do 3 times a week mandatory weightlifting for crosscountry, and had coach pounding on me when i tried to skip the weighttraining. i got so exhausted from all this training every day that they had to move me from PT group #1 to #3 to let me recover, but then pt group #3 caught up with #1 so that didn't help. LOL.

anyways, so after a month of all of this, did i get better? i just did the final evaluation pt test and I got 87 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and 1.5mi in 10:14. WTF?!?!?! and i swear, i did not slack off. i was going as hard as i could, i felt it was harder than when i took the 1st pt test, but i just could not match my scores from a month ago.

so what did i just pt myself to death for this last month????? totally useless!!!! :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage GRRRRRR.....

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Overtaining sounds like your problem. What is your diet like? I'm assuming you're a female due to the 0 pull-ups; am I correct in that assumption?

The only advice I have if you're going to keep up that level of activity is to increase calories, including protein, and get more sleep.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Two words: Over Training.

Give it a rest, get back into it with moderate intensity, and give yourself a chance to heal/improve instead of 110% all week long.

navy09

None
Be careful not to overdo it. If you're training yourself into the ground, it's not going to help- your body needs recovery time.

You also might want to reevaluate your diet. If heading to McD's every day after practice, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Likewise, if you're not eating enough (carbs, protein, good fats, etc) it's just as bad.

EDIT: You could have also just had a shi**y day.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Definitely ensure you are stretching and recovering properly. 6-7 Hours of sleep is pretty good, but make sure you're following up your workouts with proteins and carbs.

But alas - most of this has been stated already. Keep up the good fight and good luck in your upcoming year.

nugget81

pilot
I always try to give my body a good 24-48 hours of rest (i.e., no PT) before a PRT/PFA. Even at OCS the DI would lay off from pounding us on the day before a PFA.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
ok, i don't know what happened to me but i officially suck.

i was at the vmi summer transition program for the last month. about 4 weeks ago, we had our initial pt test. I did 97 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and the 1.5mi in 9:19.

so i got put in pt group #1 of 8 with just one other girl and 25 guys. since then i've been pting 3 times a week really hard (since pt group 1 was just crazy hard) and do a 2 hour group sport the other 2 days and because i'm cross country, and it's a ncaa div1 school, i'm supposed to run twice a day with the cross-country team, do core exercises, pylometrics, and sprints - about 4-5 miles weekdays (on top of the running in the main pt sessions), except sundays when its 10 miles. on top of this, i have to do 3 times a week mandatory weightlifting for crosscountry, and had coach pounding on me when i tried to skip the weighttraining. i got so exhausted from all this training every day that they had to move me from PT group #1 to #3 to let me recover, but then pt group #3 caught up with #1 so that didn't help. LOL.

anyways, so after a month of all of this, did i get better? i just did the final evaluation pt test and I got 87 situps in 2mins, 0 pullups, and 1.5mi in 10:14. WTF?!?!?! and i swear, i did not slack off. i was going as hard as i could, i felt it was harder than when i took the 1st pt test, but i just could not match my scores from a month ago.

so what did i just pt myself to death for this last month????? totally useless!!!! :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage :icon_rage GRRRRRR.....

Don't worry, I was in the same boat after STP. I did the morning runs, ate rather well, and worked out with the football team and was still slower and five pounds heavier at the end than I was at the beginning.

As others have said, STP plus sport workouts means that you've been over training. Rest for a week, and then dial down the tempo a notch and you'll do better in August on your entry VFT.

When it comes to training, over doing it is as bad as under doing it. Also, if you can, get in a weight room and hit up the lat pull-down machine a little bit. It should help your pull-up score.

I hope you're looking forward to 23 August. :)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I wouldn't sweat it. You're a distance athlete, right? So you're in heavy-volume training right now. You may be over-training, but even if you're training just enough, you're not going to be ready on any random day between training days to perform to your max. Throw in a little taper before your next PFT (if there's any way you can do that) and you'll probably feel like a million bucks.

Lobster

You're clearly in shape, but as everyone else said overtraining is the problem. You performed worse that before because you body has not had time to completely recover. And make sure you're putting the right fuels in the tank to let your body come back to 100%.

MichaelD025

Sorry to say it, but as someone who studies the body and weight training as a hobby, you absolutely over exhausted yourself. The body gains strength with rest and recovery. In all honesty you probably should have rested completely, and I mean have done absolutely nothing the week before your pt. You put your body through severe and rigourous training, and gave it no time to recover.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
When I work out every day (5-6 days)..my bench/ dead lifts/ pull up amounts all decline even when I space out certain muscle work outs. Even though on like "biceps/legs" day..I am still using the previously worked out muscle groups so when it is chest/back day again..I didn't get full recovery.

I will then give myself a 2-3 recovery period sometimes of just doing nothing, and I feel energized when I return to the gym and can actually surpass my goals from before the rest period.