• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO to SNA

rjmayer

So I've read in a few posts that at TBS they've really been pushing guys to go for a pilot slot, even if it means the Marines paying for PRK. I'm contracted for NFO and will attend OCS this summer for PLC combined. I was planning on getting PRK when I got back in august and get a contract change during the school year. I don't have an issue with being an NFO, sounds like a good career, if it wasn't for the outlook of NFOs in the Marines. So what do you guys think about me sticking to NFO and riding it out and if they ask me to switch to pilot go for it. My OSO said he barely even got an NFO slot this year, gave it to me because I had the best ASTB.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Try to get what you want from the start. The less variables you have to work with the better.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
1) SNFO to SNA is very possible if laser surgery is all that stands in the way.

2) Get it done in P-Cola for free. Marine SNFOs wait almost a year to train anyway so you'll be okay on time.

3) Your OSO is blowing smoke. But who cares. You have an air contract.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
So what's your decision point? It sounds like you're on autopilot as it is. You've already decided to get PRK.

You'll be able to have a fine career as an NFO in the Marines. There are already a couple threads on this.

If you'd rather be a pilot, though, go for it if your OSO has the opportunity for you.

torpedo0126

They are trying to transition NFOs to SNAs because NFOs are being phased out of the Marine Corps. The wait time to class up for API with NFO Marines is typically much longer (about 1-2 a month).

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
1) SNFO to SNA is very possible if laser surgery is all that stands in the way.

2) Get it done in P-Cola for free. Marine SNFOs wait almost a year to train anyway so you'll be okay on time.

3) Your OSO is blowing smoke. But who cares. You have an air contract.

This is pretty good gouge. Wait and get PRK for free in PCola, then transition to SNA. In fact, they will probably ask you if you want to do it that way before you even have a chance to ask.

As others would say... Believe it

paigeme04

My husband picked up an NFO spot out of TBS... and from March 07 - August 07 he waited to class up in Pensacola... soon they had all the NFOs they needed for the fiscal year, so he was able to put in a package to become SNA... and did... started API in November 2007...

Just FYI :)
Good luck!

TN22corps

So this transfer option is actually realistic? I scored 7/7/7, wanted a pilot slot, but was given NFO due to my poor vision.

I though my OSO was just feeding me lines.

So, in essence, it's more probable to go in as NFO, get the PRK surgery, transfer to SNA than to go in as NFO and be stuck with it?

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
So this transfer option is actually realistic? I scored 7/7/7, wanted a pilot slot, but was given NFO due to my poor vision.

I though my OSO was just feeding me lines.

So, in essence, it's more probable to go in as NFO, get the PRK surgery, transfer to SNA than to go in as NFO and be stuck with it?

I'm in a similar boat, I scored a 6/6/6 but have approx. 20/70 vision. I went to OCS Jr's as an NFO with the intention of transferring to SNA. I will be getting PRK in august pending a successful consultation and begin the PRK waiver to be hopefully completed before OCS Srs. I would recommend trying to get the SNA spot before you commission, there are fewer variables between you and flight school that way.

rjmayer

My OSO told me that after I get the surgery I'm medically disqualified from the PLC program. I will be reinstated with an air contract after the PRK waiver is approved. If for some reason the waiver doesn't go through, can I get my NFO slot back or request a ground slot. What I'm asking is, will a denied waiver keep me out of the military period because I was medically disqualified at one point? I'm just a little worried about other vision requirements because I had to take the Falant test for colorblindness and barely passed the depth perception test. I've been told that has a lot to do with MEPs being full of idiots.