• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Smallpox vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridiani

Okay, here's a random question for y'all. I just happened to be reading an article at CNN.com about military small pox vaccinations...and I was wondering...is the vaccine given while you're at OCS? Or do they give it to you at some other point in your training? My husband was a Marine, and he told me that he got the shot during boot camp. Ouch.
fight_125.gif
I don't mind getting the shot, but trying to do PT with stuff oozing from your arm doesn't sound like a whole lotta fun...Anyway, I'm just curious. Give me the lowdown.
icon_smile_wink.gif

solenita72

SWO Wife
No, my husband didn't get it in OCS. In fact I think they just started innoculating the fleet in January. But, times they are a changin', no telling what they may add, I would just think that the close quarters that everyone stays in down there and the chance to spread it might be too risky....plus I would think the possibility of reacting to it might be too high. Just in what I have read about it. I know my husband didn't have to get some, because he brought all of his shot records down with him and since he had those they didn't make him get all of them again! You may want to gather that up and take it with you!!

AZSkegee

Well going through Great Lakes we had days called Processing days. Its during that time you recieve your shots even the one for you bun bun lol. You dont do pt untill medically cleared. My best guess is the same happens at OCS also

Meridiani

solenita-

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about that. I've never had the smallpox shot, but I've certainly had plenty of other shots in my day. I'll have to remember to bring a copy of my shot records!
icon_smile.gif

funkonomics

I want every shot they got...anthrax, bocthulinum, plague, smallpox, lime, gammo globulin (sp), mezcal, rum...it doesn't matter. I want to be glowing when they get done stickin me.

Mike26

I received the shot about a month ago, I am in the AF and they are currently only giving the shot to people deployed or people about to be deployed, I assume it might be similar to the other branches. I don't think it would be smart to give while in training, some side affects included sore throat, and fatigue but they only lasted a couple of days, only one person in my squadron missed work because of the affects.

Status
Not open for further replies.