• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Slowing down orders to Oceana?

MasterBates

NOB as a JG vice 1 of 1 JG is not a big deal in the land of FITREPS.

I was #1 of 1 on my only observed ENS FITREP. Hasn't helped much.

Being midpack MP when your "peers" are top EPs COULD be down the road. Of course, kick ass, take names, and let the cards fall where they may. Because luck and timing is a good portion of the equation as well.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
For young JO's who wish to get out after their initial obligation then yes it is a good deal. But making your decision 8 years prior to that is not wise. So what if you get a T-45 section lead qual.......it doesn't mean shit in any other jet, just like any of the other "quals" SERGRADS get. Your hours are great for SA, your T-45 "experience" doesn't mean shit either as FAMs, Forms, and Instruments instruction do little to make you a bomb-dropping, BFM flying guru. Bottom line is you are behind your yeargroup by doing the SERGRAD thing and FITREPS as a Lieutenant will make you or break you. So, any other good advice or experience?

Chill out man. You gave your reasons why it doesn't work for a senior Lieutenant. I was merely stating why a young JO might want to do it, and I was giving the reasons why our SERGRADs in Kingsville have chosen it.

To answer Fred's question, SERGRAD is offered to you, if you don't want it, you don't need to take it. But in several of our SERGRAD's case, it was to their benefit to take it. IE they weren't going to get what they wanted due to bad timing. I guess it all depends upon how much you want your first choice.

FYI the Marine SERGRAD program is back.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Chill out man. You gave your reasons why it doesn't work for a senior Lieutenant. I was merely stating why a young JO might want to do it, and I was giving the reasons why our SERGRADs in Kingsville have chosen it.

To answer Fred's question, SERGRAD is offered to you, if you don't want it, you don't need to take it. But in several of our SERGRAD's case, it was to their benefit to take it. IE they weren't going to get what they wanted due to bad timing. I guess it all depends upon how much you want your first choice.

FYI the Marine SERGRAD program is back.
My reasons were not for a senior LT as O-3's are not eligible. They are for ENS and LTJG. Take a couple laps in the FITREP 500 and you will realize why that year is better spent in a grey jet.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
My reasons were not for a senior LT as O-3's are not eligible. They are for ENS and LTJG. Take a couple laps in the FITREP 500 and you will realize why that year is better spent in a grey jet.

Roger that, I realize it isn't the greatest thing to do career wise, but for some it does have its benefits. Just trying to make sure everyone gets the whole picture. Thanks for the info!

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Well on the plus side you get even more experience with flying approaches and the pattern in a jet that you're already familiar with so I've been told it helps make you a little better when you head to your new platform.

That and if you're single you have plenty of reasons to go on cross countries every weekend.

Fred

Choose? You get chosen, but yes, you can turn down SERGRAD.

Thanks, I was curious since Puck said someone picked SERGRAD. My husband did SERGRAD years ago and wasn’t given the option to turn it down at the time. I didn’t know if this was something people could now request. He was fortunate, it didn’t have any negative consequences on his career.

stickygdm

pilot
SERGRAD is a choice. We offer it to those who have the propensity to be instructors at an early stage of the aviation career. That is, a combination of solid performance and an attitude compatible with being a teacher. In my experience, SERGRADs typically go on to do very good to great things in Naval Aviation. I wasn't a SERGRAD but those I knew went on to Top Gun, Blues, TPS, FRS instructor, and I think one is a VT Skipper right now!

For each it should be an individual choice. If you have a family or are starting one that enters into the equation. Choice of FRS is usual--but not absolute! Nothing is absolute in the Navy/USMC... but that half the fun!

Pilot123

pilot
Is this only offered as an option for the jet types or is it available in other communities as well (ie P-3 guys)?

MasterBates

Not true. There have been P3 and Helo SERGRADs but they go to Primary VT squadrons.

Rare, but they are out there. Haven't seen one lately though.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Yeah I had heard of them in the past, but I'm pretty sure they are only active in the jet community now. I should have stated that the first time.