• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Slowing down orders to Oceana?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yikes, apparently I'm from "Hushpukena, MS." That's really a scary thought (although there some parts of my life where my lat/longs are a bit fluid).

No gouge at all. Classes are full with other Cat I, Cat III and IV's. Happens all time.

So, the word on the street is that come July, Oceana won't be offering any more RAG slots for a bit. I'm chocking this up to rumor mill... but anyone have any gouge on this?

Yes some Navy Cat I's will do RAG in VMFAT 101. Present company included...and yes was tits place to go. After year though liver and wallet b*&^ched slapped me and said was time to leave. :icon_mi_1

And even better deal is going back there for shore duty as an IP.

Just out of curiosity, do/can navy dudes go to SD and VMFAT for the hornet RAG? I really have no clue but i bet that would be a tits place to go if you could!

Welcome to Military. Sorry but did you honestly expect anything different? I don't mean to be the one that brings the bad news but I would venture to say a majority of people want East coast...case in point last ADSB results....so someone has to suck up the grenade.

Just wait till you get to the end of your first sea tour. That's were the fun begins.

just proves my point of dream sheets being a total waste of time. I don't know if it ever is even taken into consideration.

Case in point. When I selected jets, I chose Meridian (from Whiting) on my dream sheet. A guy in Corpus chose Kingsville (on his dream sheet). We selected the same week and he got sent to Meridian, me to Kingsville. I spoke to him and we asked the Navy if they would switch us... obviously would save the Navy money with the move, etc.

Nope.

Doesn't seem to make much difference career-wise, but as a lowly Cat 1 RP I can't be sure.

Career wise yes it will not give you an edge or be a major help towards career progression. At the time one makes a SERGRAD selection, there is no way to tell how the timing will work out. You can plan and the CO's do look at your career progression and take that into account. There are milestones and time gates to make in your career and a majority of your selections (or detailer and BURPERS make for you LOL) you make in military are based on that.

A SERGRAD will have an edge up on flight time, may or may not have edge up on experience / flight skills over CAT I's at rag but most do. You will be a senior JO in JOPA so does that helps for duty and fly off spots. I know a few that used SERGRAD to their advantage to get guaranteed airframe choice so can be helpful in some cases but the CO's use that tool and not you negotiating that...sorry.

There are million things that go into it. Just like any career choice ask questions, get answers and make educated decision on what is best for YOU. Because what works for you may not be best for someone else.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Welcome to Military. Sorry but did you honestly expect anything different? I don't mean to be the one that brings the bad news but I would venture to say a majority of people want East coast...case in point last ADSB results....so someone has to suck up the grenade.

Just wait till you get to the end of your first sea tour. That's were the fun begins.

Thanks bolter.... I wish you would have welcomed me to the military when I joined... y'know, when you were like 12.

snacks06

pilot
For young JO's who wish to get out after their initial obligation then yes it is a good deal. But making your decision 8 years prior to that is not wise. So what if you get a T-45 section lead qual.......it doesn't mean shit in any other jet, just like any of the other "quals" SERGRADS get. Your hours are great for SA, your T-45 "experience" doesn't mean shit either as FAMs, Forms, and Instruments instruction do little to make you a bomb-dropping, BFM flying guru. Bottom line is you are behind your yeargroup by doing the SERGRAD thing and FITREPS as a Lieutenant will make you or break you. So, any other good advice or experience?

I just wanted another year with Bert and JDizzle. :D

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
Just remember that if you find yourself driving the opposite direction on I-10 than you wanted, maybe you will find something you love and enjoy at the end of that drive. And, in a blink of an eye you're driving the other way on I-10 at the end of your first JO tour then you'll find there are more adventures and great flying in that direction also.

Best relevant advice I've heard in a long time.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Dang, according to mine, Marshall, MN. Japan really screwed that one up.

On a side note, all of the places were marked City, State, USA. With the exceptions of Yokosuksa, Japan (obviously) and San Diego, CA (No USA listed) :D:D

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
If I did mine right it's Tallapoosa, MO. Very Southeastern tip, right between the borders of Arkansas and Tennessee. I'm guessing I wouldn't fit in too well around there! "Tell me kind sir, how far to the nearest Synogogue?"