• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sleep aids?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gotta say, though...go/no go pills are magical little friends. We'd have planes crashing all over Afghanistan without 'em. Dexadrine wakes you up without tweaking you out, and Ambien puts me under in nothin' flat. Thanks, Air Force!

Generally speaking, though, if you're not actually on flight status, the rules about what you can and can take are much, much more lax. The problem the flight docs might have later is not what you've taken but why you took them. "So you say you have trouble sleeping, ensign? Why do you think that is?" (scribble, scribble, scribble)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem the flight docs might have later is not what you've taken but why you took them. "So you say you have trouble sleeping, ensign? Why do you think that is?" (scribble, scribble, scribble)

And once again, you can fall back on valuable advice for aviators when dealing with doctors: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Well now I'm not sure about ambien downing you. I think the bigger picture for the flight surgeon is why. Too stressed and can't sleep, then maybe you should not being flying anyways.

BourneID

pilot
Maybe try a little night cap with your wife every night, as long as she doesn't want to cuddle afterwards, you should be a sleep in no time flat

BENDER

pilot
OP: Why not try Melatonin? It's natural, over the counter, inexpensive, and does not leave you tired in the morning.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Midnite" is an all natural melatonin blend (some other stuff in it, not idea). No prescription. It's pretty awesome. The first time I had it, I was positive it had to be narcotic.

When I do take it, it usually isn't until 9:30, 10pm, I'm out by 10:30, and when I get up (4:30 every day), I'm wide awake. No "hangover."

(Straight melatonin makes me sluggish all morning, and even more of a dick than usual)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Zab...despite melatonin being touted as all natural, I have always noticed that I get the "medecine head" feeling in the morning as well. It does the job knocking me out when I need to sleep though. BTW...can you get this Midnight brand at a drug or grocery store??

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get it at Rite Aid, they stock it on the shelf by the Tylenol PM.

To clarify, when my alarm goes off, I immediately say "dammit," and I'm groggy for about 3 minutes. Beyond that, I'm all set.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I say suck it up, stop being a pussy. Your wife is getting up to take care of little baby junior S.O.B., why should you get to sleep?
(yeah, I've got a 22 month old and a 7-week old, so I get it)

The pressing medical issue should be when are you getting the boys snipped so you don't have to deal with this shit anymore?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So is this "Midnight" stuff legal, in terms of being on flight status? Something like that would certainly help on those days when you get back home after a flight at 4-5 pm, and have a 0600 brief the next morning, + 4 hrs of studying and being stressed about the flight.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So is this "Midnight" stuff legal, in terms of being on flight status? Something like that would certainly help on those days when you get back home after a flight at 4-5 pm, and have a 0600 brief the next morning, + 4 hrs of studying and being stressed about the flight.

Probably not w/o FS approval.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Concur with Brett. I'm not on flight status, so I freebase it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Roger......biggest problem is probably just recovering from the weekend sleep schedule, and moderating caffeine intake throughout the day (when studying/flying)

LOSLOAR

don't bring your coffee to FOD walk
Ambien CR

Recently, Ambien CR has been approved for aviators, and no, you don't get a down chit. See the flight surgeon and he'll hook you up. Several guys here are on it. Welcome to the insomnia club.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Recently, Ambien CR has been approved for aviators, and no, you don't get a down chit. See the flight surgeon and he'll hook you up. Several guys here are on it. Welcome to the insomnia club.

Awesome, though do you know if that is habit forming? I for one wouldn't want to start something that I couldn't finish, just because my sleep schedule gets messed up occasionally (skeds induced or otherwise)