• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sleep aids?

MiniGuns

:sleep_125 I'm in the STA-21 program at school right now and have been thinking about possibly getting the doctor to perscribe me some sleeping medicine. It's not NEEDED but a little extra help would be nice since I have twins (17 mnths) and a 3 mnth son. I was just wondering if taking sleeping meds would disqualify my from flying. Right now I'm slated NFO, but considering switching to Pilot. Does anyone know if taking a perscription sleeping pill would DQ me or anything?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Well, since you are a part of the STA-21 program, I don't think it will be an issue....not in flight school, not a problem.

However, you may wish to call these folks to get an official ruling.
POC:
Physical Qualifications
220 Hovey Rd
attn : Code 342
Pensacola , FL 32508
850-452-2257 x 1074 (DSN 922)

Once you get in the program, different rules apply.

First rule is if a FS doesn't prescribe it, don't take it.

NATOPS/NOMI say this: 18.1 NATOPS on Medications
General NATOPS (OPNAVINST 3710.7T, Chapter 8.3.2.5) includes the following statements on medications:
Taking drugs prescribed by competent medical authority shall be considered sufficient cause for recommendation of grounding unless their use is specifically approved by a flight surgeon, or a waiver for specific drug use has been granted by CHNAVPERS or the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Consideration shall be given to the removal of ground support personnel from critical duties, for the duration of the drug effects, if appropriate. Medications such as antihistamines, antibiotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, etc., shall be discarded if all are not used during the period of medication.
http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Medications.pdf

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I used to have insomnia from being nervous for my next mornings brief. Try a few benadryl and oxycontin washed down with a necastle. Works every time like a charm.:icon_tong (disclaimer....J/K...don't actually do this!)

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If in a flight status you can take a sleep aid if the FS gives them to you but you will get a down chit. Stop taking the pills and you can get back up. Not really a big deal. It can be an issue depending on why you are not sleeping.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One of the best ways to improve your sleep is to improve your bed. The more comfortable you are the better you will sleep. Usually, higher thread counts and a pillow top mattress help, but it's more on what you like best. Of course, the little ones are not going to help.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
you doing anything really active within a few hours of trying to fall asleep? PT'ing can keep you up. In terms of a sleep aid, as long as your doc prescribes one, no big deal with taking one now. They might ask you something about it down the road, very big maybe, but it's not going to NPQ you from being a SNFO or SNA. Just don't get hooked on one.

I'll agree with the improving your bed post as well. I paid good coin for one of those select comforts on my parents' recommendation, and sleep like a baby now. No back pain in the morning when I wake up either, unlike the spring mattress I had before. To each his own, though.

Giving the little ones a warm glass of shut the hell up never hurt, either.

(kidding kidding)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If in a flight status you can take a sleep aid if the FS gives them to you but you will get a down chit. Stop taking the pills and you can get back up. Not really a big deal. It can be an issue depending on why you are not sleeping.

BZZZT. WRONG.

I took Ambien quite a bit on deployment and never got a down chit. I got some Ambien recently from a flight doc and didn't get a down chit.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
BZZZT. WRONG.

I took Ambien quite a bit on deployment and never got a down chit. I got some Ambien recently from a flight doc and didn't get a down chit.

If they are giving them to you as part of the go/no package then they won't down you. I have gotten them and didn't get a down chit either. But I also got the don't take this on a night prior to flying talk.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Two over the counter meds that I use, old Irish-American family recipe, Jack and Daniels.

Keep taking 1oz until the noises stop.

Works great.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BZZZT. WRONG.

Buddy had anxiety-induced insomnia during flight school. Prescribed Ambien and downed for a week until he stopped taking them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Buddy had anxiety-induced insomnia during flight school. Prescribed Ambien and downed for a week until he stopped taking them.

Dude, "no-go" pills (Ambien) along with "go" pills (amphetamines) are regularly issued in the fleet and they don't down you. You take the go pills in the cockpit for Christ's sake.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Dude, "no-go" pills (Ambien) along with "go" pills (amphetamines) are regularly issued in the fleet and they don't down you. You take the go pills in the cockpit for Christ's sake.

Brett

I understood what was written above about go/no go pills. I was speaking merely about a flight school student who was having trouble sleeping- in which case he was downed. Since the OP is in STA-21, I think he is more concerned about what happens in flight school since that's the next step. And in flight school, there's no go/no go pills and it seems that Rx sleep aids down you. Fair enough? :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a difference between a diagnosed medical condition (anxiety-induced insomnia) requiring sleep aids and "hey doc, I'm having trouble sleeping/ramping/etc... can I get some Ambien?"

Calling them "Go / NoGo" pills doesn't mean there is a strict time you use them ala "It's go/nogo time." It's just a term.

Once again, stay in your lane.